back to article Cassini captures pieces of Saturn’s rings

The soon-to-die Cassini probe has captured tiny fragments of Saturn’s rings. Cassini’s was launched in 1997, made it to Saturn in 2004 and has been there ever since. But the probe is running out of fuel and will be crashed into the gas giant in September 2017, in order to avoid possible contamination of potentially-life-bearing …

1. Chris G

Bonking a boulder

So lots of little boulders then?

I remember the excitement on The Sky At Night in the '90s before Cassini was launched, it promised so much of interest for science, and to tell us more about the system we live in.

20 years and still producing good science!

Once again, a probe has done so much more than could have been expected of it, beers all round for the team I think.

2. Gordon Pryra

precise measurement of the length of the Saturnian day continues to elude us

NASA need to take a leaf out of the "English rules of Empire"

A day on Saturn is therefore the same as a day in England

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: precise measurement of the length of the Saturnian day continues to elude us

A day on Saturn is therefore the same as a day in England

What, cold and rainy with tea and scones at 4pm?

1. Tom 38
        Joke

Re: precise measurement of the length of the Saturnian day continues to elude us

What, cold and rainy with tea and scones at 4pm?

This tedious inaccurate stereotypical portrayal of England is boringly predictable and something for which I will not stand.

Tea is at 4:30pm.

(Alternate punchline: "Sometimes it's just rainy")

1. Sam Therapy
          Thumb Up

There are things, up with, I will not put.

2. Christopher Reeve's Horse

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but when a gaseous planet spins, and different latitudes spin at different rates, what exactly ought to be considered as 'a day'? Furthermore, why is it significant?

1. cray74

what exactly ought to be considered as 'a day'?

A very good question that has baffled planetologists and astronomers for some time. There are currently three dominant, numbered schemes for calculating Saturn's day.

Furthermore, why is it significant?

Day length - or, rather, rotational speed - impacts a lot of Saturn's characteristics. Almost any model of Saturn's atmospheric circulation is dependent on rotation (by way of Coriolis force), as are models of its interior (since rotation has rendered Saturn distinctly non-spherical). Because Saturn's magnetic field rotates with the planet, rotation also impacts its moons through various mechanisms, like the way Enceladus's plumes interact with the planetary magnetic field.

If you're interested in such details about Saturn, day length is significant.

3. Vinyl-Junkie
        Coat

Tea is at 3.40pm and will be taken in the pavilion. As any fule know....

1. Chris G

No no no! 3:40pm is G'nT time whetting the appetite for tea time.

1. Alister

Pimm's o'clock!

2. Tom 38
          Headmaster

Tea is at 3.40pm and will be taken in the pavilion.

I'm afraid you didn't take in to account the inevitable rain delayed start to play means tea was delayed.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"NASA need to take a leaf out of the "English rules of Empire"

A day on Saturn is therefore the same as a day in England"

No it isn't.

You have plant a flag first.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Brilliant stuff!

The Cassini-Huygens mission just keeps on giving. I remember being thrilled by the descent on the Huygens probe onto Titan, and then there are all the data the Cassini orbiter has given. I love the way the scientists and engineers work tirelessly to get the most out of these missions, even from the final crash. Excellent example of international collaboration too

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Titled?

...and the sloshing won’t happen without the magnetic field being titled.

That's Lord Magnetic Field to you, then.

1. Swarthy

Re: Titled?

I thought that if it was titled, it couldn't be sloshed, just "tired and emotional".

5. Hollerithevo

Before I go into that good night

I hope that I am as useful in my last few weeks of life as Cassini.

Learn or learn not -- there is no retire.

6. Tom 7

"many nanometer-size ring particles”

giggles.

7. Alister

This prompted mission controllers to relax the shielding requirement for one orbit, in hopes of capturing ring particles”

So, they dropped the shields, then?

And thus, we find that NASA has secretly had shield technology all along!

Look out for the photon torpedoes...

8. Cynical Shopper
    FAIL

Saturn's ring piece

You missed the obvious...

9. Alistair
    Windows

Will definitely be

Watching that last orbit.

The last several years have been an amazing time for humanity getting to know it's neighbours. Cassini, Mars Rovers and orbiters from all over, New Horizons, the Mercury mission and Venus trip. We'll be 'dancing on the edge of the sun' next. And the voyagers.

I saw 2001 ASO in the theatre when it was released. I got to watch 2 lunar landings on TV. I watched pretty much every single shuttle launch. I've gotta admit 'may you live in interesting times' has a *whole* bunch of different interpretations, but I think in the 'stretching our knowledge' I've gotten to see some seriously interesting s&&t. And, sadly, some seriously s&&tty stuff too.

Have an up Hollerithevo, absolutely agree.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like