back to article Apollo center fundraiser: That's one small check from man, one giant leap for our peace of mind

An online fundraising campaign is asking for $250,000 to cover the costs of preserving and maintaining a historic control room used for NASA's Apollo missions. A Kickstarter drive launched by Space Center Houston is hoping to drum up the quarter of a million bucks by August 19. It is part of a larger $5m restoration effort to …

1. Chris G

Back Lot

So it's not located in Hollywood?

I bet it will meet the target easily from people who believe in the moon landings but I meet more and more who believe the Made in Hollywood crap.

Mostly millenials.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
      1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Windows

Re: Back Lot

I have this quote which I wanted to post:

"We reached the Onion Singularity years ago; kind of like the Turing Test, it’s when the average reader can no longer reliability differentiate between “serious journalism” and satire"

(This was written in cotext with Congratulations to the Red Cross for Beating Donald Trump at His Own Game: Racism, but it applies here.

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Why not virtualize it for us unlucky sods who may never be able to visit it physically?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Unhappy

Park Service cutbacks?

Surely Trump didn't intend this when he cut the budgets? Part of the history that Made America Great going to crowd-funding? Really?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Park Service cutbacks?

"Surely Trump didn't intend this when he cut the budgets?"

Quote from an article about President Trump's weekend golfing trips:

"Trump has spent seven weekends at Mar-a-Lago since taking office ten weeks ago. It is estimated that each of these trips costs at least $3 million (£2.4 million), covering the President’s extensive security detail. "

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> "Part of the history that Made America Great going to crowd-funding? Really?"

It looks like the crowd is coming thru, so what's your problem? Does it pain you to see an expenditure that doesn't have federal control over it?

I would suggest that 'decentralizing' the nation's expenditures will yield more bang for the buck. Having government do everything is a surefire way to get very little for a whole lot.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I would suggest that 'decentralizing' the nation's expenditures will yield more bang for the buck. Having government do everything is a surefire way to get very little for a whole lot."

... and if it was funded federally then its almost certain that several dozen Senators would discover places of historic importance in their states that required a similar $250k down-payment on an eventual $5M spend that would need to be added to the measure before they'd be able to supprot it.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Having government do everything is a surefire way to get very little for a whole lot.

The work will still be done by a NASA approved defense contractor, at "taxpayer is paying" rates, after it has been approved and overseen by NASA managers in 6 different states.

The crowdsourcing is just putting up the money

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Does it pain you to see an expenditure that doesn't have federal control over it?"

That sounds like a loaded and partisan question to me. "When did you stop beating your wife?"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And no billionaires with some pocket cash to spare?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

> And no billionaires with some pocket cash to spare?

One could even ask Obama The Droner Prez. He's currently raking in promised kickbacksspeaking fees and not even spending anything. (Plus a ghostwritten "book deal" at 65 million, the mind boggle)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Surely Trump didn't intend this when he cut the budgets? "

Now I *really* don't support Trump, but if Houston is like the Kennedy Space Centre, it's not funded by NASA at all, i.e. I don't believe it's supported by taxes.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mr. Kranz

Campaign needs another tier: for $100K Gene Kranz will come to your company and chew out your Engineers. Give him a few days at SpaceX and not only will the rockets return to Earth safely, they'll parallel park in neat rows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mr. Kranz

Sadly, the engineers are in such a bad shape these days that they need to be sent back to bootcamp straight away. And they refuse to read books.

The End of the West, I say.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Mr. Kranz

Oh, there are still a few of us old engineers around who can do great things. Sadly, we're often hamstrung by ridiculous schedules, insufficient funding, and management who won't listen to the truths we speak.

5. Alan J. Wylie

T Shirt?

but no vest (waistcoat). That would make an excellent addition to the kickstarter.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gene-kranzs-apollo-vest-9045125/

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: T Shirt?

Or and a t-shirt that looks like the waistcoat.

6. frank ly

Ghost?

Is that a ghost at the lower right, sitting at an older style control desk?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ghost?

Old b&w photo (left side of image) merged with more recent colour photo (right side of image).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ghost?

So that's how we made it to the moon: We used ghosts! Now the secret is out.

7. Nameless Faceless Computer User

The actual quote is, "Houston, we've had a problem here”

1. My other car is an IAV Stryker

Re: Quote

And most historians now agree it was "One small step for 'a' man..." and that one tiny syllable was muffled/garbled by the connection. But people will assume what they already know -- what EVERYbody knows -- is the real history. Don't waste your breath on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I prefer the Apollo 12 quote form Pete Conrad on stepping on to the moon

" Whoopie! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil but that’s a long one for me."

2. W4YBO

"And most historians now agree it was "One small step for 'a' man..." and that one tiny syllable was muffled/garbled by the connection. But people will assume what they already know -- what EVERYbody knows -- is the real history..."

Listen to the audio and the pacing of his speech. I think he was excited, and dropped the "a". Personally, I'm pretty impressed that his quote isn't "Holy shit! I'm stepping onto the moon!"

1. DocJD

I'm an engineer and about 30 years ago I talked to the head of the company that built the microphones in the Apollo space suits and asked him about this. He told me, to save power, the microphones were voice activated. While Armstrong SAID "a man" the "a" wasn't loud enough to turn on the mike and was lost.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like