back to article Motorola Z8 'kick slider' media phone

After years of flogging the Razr to death, and some very uninspired siblings, Motorola finally has something interesting to offer for the more demanding end of the market. The Z8, announced in May and available in the UK this week, is a well-designed capable media phone. But the Z8 is a rare thing in this day and age: a product …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lovely

"And this is particularly true for video, which it handles with the grace and reliability of Christiano Ronaldo falling over in the opposition's penalty box unchallenged."

What a fantastic analogy. I love it!

2. Dillon Pyron

US market?

And when will we see it over here? And who will carry it? I get great 3G here in Austin. So I'm hoping it's AT&T. But likely nobody, you eurotrash get all the neat toys.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No howls of outrage?

A $670 phone and no one screaming blue murder that it doesn't have GPS (or did the reviewer forget to mention it?); or complaining that it only has a 2MP camera; or saying "I would never pay that much for a phone"; blah, blah, blah...

4. Adam Williams

re: No howls of outrage?

Why should there be? Unlike certain other shockingly expensive phones of late, this one is spec'd with everything a top-end 'phone should have, not just what the manufacturer *thinks* a 'phone should have, as well as actually allowing features to be added/not locking them down - the crucial difference between mobile manufacturers, and those who make mobiles as a fashion accessory...

Back to the Z8: If only Motorola would get rid of that sodding iTAP system and use the T9 standard as per everyone else, I'd consider this over the forthcoming Sony-Ericsson W910...

5. Kevin Hall

Is Motorola getting better?

It sounds quite positive to me. The problem I always had with Motorola was the software on the phones was just horrendous with poorly designed menus and apps that absolutely repelled me. The stuck to peddling gimmicks like the Razr for too long. Still, given the huge streak of mediocrity on phone design it's encouraging that Motorola is actually trying to do better. The last Nokia and Sony Ericsson I've had have been hugely underwhelming.

6. alan lovedog

re: howls of outrage

unlike a certain other phone, this one won't be costing the user that price - within a month or so they will be given it at no extra charge with their contract - just like almost every other phone out there.

7. Lloyd

Regardless

At the end of the day it's still a Motorola and the only people to buy it will be the great unwashed in their Burberry who can't afford a decent phone and think the Razr was the height of sophistication.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like