back to article Reg reader turns Geek's Guides to Britain into Geek's Map of Britain

A forward-thinking Reg reader has put the entirety of our Geeks’ Guide series onto a Google Map, for your navigational and geographically organised reading pleasure. Smart cookie Gypsythief has assembled the Geek's Map to Britain, which features all of our Geek's Guide features about lesser-known places of British …

1. SkippyBing

Well done that man!

That is all.

Although also looking forward to an aviation themed geek's guide too, obvs.

2. GlenP Silver badge

Bookmarked!

'Nuff said.

3. deive
    Pint

Here here

Have ->

4. J P
    Pint

Well obviously -->

Upvotes all round for Gypsythief

5. SteveK

One more to add to the map and to your features maybe - Porthcurno beach in Cornwall:

As well as the more famous clifftop open-air theatre, was where the early international submarine telecoms cables came ashore, linking the UK to the far reaches of the British Empire during the 19th century, becoming the world's largest underwater cable termination point and important during the wars.

There's also the remains of an early wireless mast allegedly used to spy on Marconi's transmissions. And in current times, a telegraph museum

1. RobDog

For more on Porthcurno

This is an excellent read

https://www.wired.com/1996/12/ffglass/

2. Dabooka

I agree

There's an article on these boards isn't there? I can never find it when I look (I'm sure I've had this conversation before)

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: I agree

>There's an article on these boards isn't there?

Google finds no mention of Porthcurno on www.register.co.uk, and 10 mentions on the forums.

Was at Porthcurno in May of this year, the museum has definitely improved since my last visit (1999) - My 12 year old daughter found it engaging. With the demolition of the C&W college you get a better feel for the site (plus there is now a decent car parking and as from April a good beach cafe). I was a little disappointed that they had cleared the beach of cables.

Looks like the Geek's Map is in need of a second set of pins: places of interest that El Reg Geek Guide has yet to visit.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Looks like the Geek's Map is in need of a second set of pins: places of interest that El Reg Geek Guide has yet to visit."

I was thinking that too. The nearest places within a day trip drive are Edinburgh and Manchester for me. There's no Geeks Guide to the North East of England despite. At the very least, a fully equipped Cold War bunker in York that's a good visit. Maybe we should be suggesting place for El Reg to visit then they can have an office lottery to see which staffer gets the all expenses paid trip to go write the article :-)

1. MrT

Whilst up in York visiting the bunker, pop to Yorkshire Air Museum. One of my near neighbours piloted the Nimrod there (XV250) and was made an MBE for 'over the horizon' surveillance missions during the Falklands conflict.

Or come a bit further for something a bit more grease-monkey-ish at NELSAM...

1. jake Silver badge

As long as we're in York, The National Railway Museum is worth a visit. I'm not a train freak, per se, but anything stream powered is a good thing in my book. Lots of fun for the kids, too.

1. jake Silver badge

Before anyone says it, I'm into watermills, too.

Strange typo ...

6. Dan McIntyre

Top work that man!

7. Dave Harris
    Pint

Excellent Work

Have a Friday one -->>

8. Dan McIntyre

Seeing this has also reminded me I wanted to go see the Falkirk Wheel when i first read the piece - I've just booked a boat trip there and a hotel for the August bank holiday weekend.

El Reg - good for tourism!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A few suggestions from me

Those pre-radar "sound mirror" things somewhere on the South Coast

Aviation museum in Farnbrough, the name of which escapes me - it's on the main road near the airport.

The Sellafield Visitor Centre (I went there a good few years ago, and assume that it's still a thing)

1. Johndoe888

Re: A few suggestions from me

"Those pre-radar "sound mirror" things somewhere on the South Coast"

Those are at Dungeness

1. Martin-R

More sound mirrors on the White Cliffs, just east of the main NT visitor centre:

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/the-white-cliffs-of-dover/features/a-brief-history-of-sound-mirrors

2. Neil 32

Sadly the Sellafield Visitor Centre is no more :( I got to go once, but we didn't really get enough time to look around properly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sadly the Sellafield Visitor Centre is no more

That's a shame. I visited it years ago and remember that they had an (empty) fuel container out the front of the building. The prankster in me always wanted to make a return visit and sneak a fully cooked chicken into it, to see what reaction* it got from passers-by

* pun not intended, just fortuitous happenstance

2. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Sadly the Sellafield Visitor Centre is no more

I didn't realise it had gone, but I knew the whole "visit Sellafield, nuclear power is really quite friendly and nothing at all like those horror stories in the press" experience had been substantially watered down. At one time, you could (as a member of the public) go on a coach round the site, and at school (on a pre-arranged visit, presumably with some "soft" security screening) we got to walk across the pile cap on one of Calder Hall's reactors.

These days it's much higher fencing (complete with electricity and tamper detection) and "coppers" with sub machine guns. Security has even impacted steam train excursions as they used to use the turning facility at Sellafield to turn the engine round. As this involved the engine (with it's crew) entering the facility by a few yards, AIUI it got axed "because terrorism" - just think what two guys with a steam train restricted to a pair of steel rails could do !

3. SteveK

Aviation museum in Farnbrough, the name of which escapes me - it's on the main road near the airport.

This one? http://www.airsciences.org.uk/

That reminds me...

The world's largest hovercraft museum - https://www.hovercraft-museum.org down near Fareham. Looking at it on Google maps/earth is entertaining, I hope for the sake of the house owners whose gardens back onto it, they never need to fire up the engines... [edit: which I've just noticed is referenced at the bottom of the original article...]

10. Mike 16

I'd have to skip the Hovercraft Museum

Wife has a bad reaction to eels.

1. Alister

Re: I'd have to skip the Hovercraft Museum

It's all right, they emptied them first...

11. gypsythief
    Pint

Thanks everyone!

An entire El Reg article about my map is certainly an honour!

Right, I'm off for those beers now (leaving do for someone at work; always a good excuse to start early!)

12. quattroprorocked

Brockworth.

Near Gloucester. We built the first jet aircraft - Gloster Meteor.

OK, First Allied jet aircraft.

If you visit on the right day in spring, you can also go to Coopers Hill and watch people trying to fly down a hill in pursuit of cheese. And also Witcombe Roman Villa, for anyone who thinks "location, location, location" is a new thing when it comes to siting quality digs.

1. Alister

OK, First Allied jet aircraft.

First operational allied jet aircraft?

The Gloster Whittle was the first allied jet, AFAIK

13. anothercynic Silver badge

Now this... is cool.

Well done!

14. Adrian Jones

Whatever happened to...

... the Ben Goldacre inspired nerdydaytrips.com? There were hundreds, if not thousands of destinations on there, the last time I looked. Now there's nothing.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: Whatever happened to...

I was wondering the same thing.

15. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Like It

I've been past the entrance to the 'Secret Nuclear Bunker' lots of times. Maybe one day I'll get around looking at it!

16. Doctor Evil

Excellent project!

Very well done.

Minor cavil, though: where are the Crossness / Abbey Mills pumping stations shown on either the map or el Reg's summary page? Couldn't find 'em on either ... have they been "sanitized"?

17. myhandler

I read there was a Colossus in Bedfont, now BP labs, just west of London.. must be an article in that.

(The guy who saw it there in his youth is on a forum I frequent - slip me a fiver Mr /Ms Reg Journo and I can put you in touch)

18. x 7

So why is Dunsop Bridge on the list? OK it's a fine base to walk from, if you know where to look you can see Eagle Owls and Hen Harriers, and it's the exact centre of Britain, but there's not much geeky going for it unless you like to study water abstraction techniques

1. gypsythief

So why is Dunsop Bridge on the list?

Huzzah! Congratulations, you earn the bonus points!

Dunsop Bridge was the little easter egg I referenced in my forum post.

Q: "So why is Dunsop Bridge on the list?"

A: "it's the exact centre of Britain"

Many years ago, my brother and I were cycling through Dunsop Bridge. For some reason long lost to the mists of time, he'd heard about this whole centre of the known universe Britain thing, so we stopped to admire the little brass plaque that had been installed inside the phone box by the bridge to commemorate it.

Plonking a plaque in phone box in the middle of nowhere to mark the middle of Britain is one of those bits of pointless science that I find to be great fun, so I thought I'd bob it on for the kicks'n'giggles.

19. x 7

the glass windows in the phone box are modded as well: last time I looked they were engraved with a kind of radial compass map

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon