back to article Ew! HTC jams pop-up adverts into people's smartphone keyboards

HTC, which needs all the love it can get these days, has enraged its customers by bunging adverts into the onscreen keyboard on its phones. Outrage over the tacky money-grab exploded online at the weekend after folks spotted banner advertisements appearing in the TouchPal keyboard that came with the HTC 10. These are annoying …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Why other with even a 3rd party keyboard when google provides an adequate on natively?

1. goldcd

Because

Some keyboards are better than adequate?

I personally favour Swype - but definitely worth seeing what suits you best.

I'm 99.99% sure it'll be something without adverts though..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Were you using it when you typed that? :p

3. Martin Summers Silver badge

I use SwiftKey. I can't get used to the stock keyboards now. What I don't get is 'flowing' and I've yet to come across anyone who uses it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't touch Swiftkey now, after Microsoft's acquisition of it.

Nothing still beats Apple iOS's keyboard, and I say that as the owner of an Android phone.

The manufacturer (not divulging which one) of my Android phone doesn't even have Korean language input. Korean input has been omitted from all its phones, including its flagship devices in 2017.

I can only surmise that it's some perverse form of racial/language discrimination, because I'm not buying the excuses that it was deliberately done for marketing or technical reasons.

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: I wouldn't touch Swiftkey now, after Microsoft's acquisition of it.

"Apple iOS's keyboard"

That's a bold statement, shame people like me who can't stand on screen keyboards don't rate any of them. I still think the keyboard on the Q10 was perfect for a mobile device (I'm also one of these annoying people to have mechanical keyboards for working with a computer).

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

I wouldn't touch a Google keyboard with a bargepole. User dictionary sync, search, voice recognition, and 1001 other excuses for slurping.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame

I had this over the weekend, was quite annoying although seems to have stopped now.

The shame of it that when they did the "One" series of handsets, their in-house keyboard was one of the best in the industry. Touchpal was quite a downgrade. Come to think of it, their keyboards have been well ahead of the game since the Windows Mobile era.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shame

Because HTC is struggling, including Touchpal is definitely a cost-cutting measure. Touchpal most likely paid HTC to have its software keyboard pre-installed on HTC phones.

Back in the day, HTC had been cutting costs even with its 'One' devices, notably the 'Ultrapixel' camera sensors. HTC was doing marketing Jedi mind tricks and trying to convince everyone that the lower megapixel 'Ultrapixel' camera took better photos (it did not).

HTC descended into irrelevance mostly due to its stint with the 'Ultrapixel' malarkey.

2. oneeye

Re: Shame, No Not Really

Hi,

If you liked the old Sense keyboard from the one series, it's available in Playstore. Here is the link. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.sense.ime or do a search for HTC sense input. I have used this keyboard since HTC EVO 4g lte, and the biggest feature for me is the navigation arrows on the bottom that are enabled in the app settings. Great for fat fingers editing, if you know what I mean?

3. d3vy

Well didn't get this on the old One M8 that Im still using but what I did notice after a recent factory reset (Spring cleaning :) )

The remote control app has been replaced by "Peel Remote" which cannot be uninstalled and despite it not running (Well the service must be) renders its crap on the lock screen, It also occasionally serves me a full screen add when I unlock the device.

Needless to say that the app is no longer able to run, I might not be able to remove it but I've disabled the service.

The other thing that started driving me mad... "News Republic" another app that I cant get rid off that sends me notifications about news that might be relevant to me... but isnt. Another service that had to be disabled.

As much as I like my M8 if thats the way HTC are going then this may well be my last one.

1. oneeye

Re-thinking my next purchase

I agree, and I almost bought the U 11 the other day too. I think I'll wait a bit longer and do some research on other brands, namely Pixel. But.... I've read a number of threads by disgruntled customers. Seems google has a persistent problem with the new back ups. Not all is working as advertised. And the natives are getting restless after broken promises of a fix. They aren't thrilled with having to use other third party apps to backup call logs and SMS either. And another BUT,.... I can NOT stand Samsung, especially "cheese Wiz" and would need to do some major customization. I'm not wild about the Chinese offerings, for very good reasons, too numerous to list here. So what's that leave me with? Oh, and if Pixel go to LG, for the next build, well they are definitely out. I was offered a new LG V 20 for $120 with a free TV tossed in. But after reading the horrible reviews, and the crappy battery life, I decided against suffering for two years with a lemon for a phone. No Thanks.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Flame

Odd how the adverts got turned on after the reviews were published

I'm sure the two facts are completely unrelated.

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Icky TouchPals

My ZTE phone came with TouchPal. Like Google, it learns auto-completion from monitoring other users. That's where you learn a lot about who's using the app. For example, while typing "Want to get ramen?" it has learned from other TouchPal users that "Want to get r" is likely going to be "Want to get raped?"

6. eldakka
    Flame

Trivago?

I usually don't watch much (or any) live TV, for the past several years nearly all my video-entertainment has been bought/streamed/downloaded and watched ad-free.

However, in the last month or so I've been watching a fair bit of free-to-air TV, mostly to watch Tour de France and Wimbledon, and a few other football sports live.

The ad's have been driving me crazy, but even worse, there are a massive amount of ads for Trivago and an ambulance-chasing law firm for accident compensation.

And I can say that those 2 businesses, Trivago and the law firm must be absolute crap if they must bombard people with their advertising.

If a product is any good, you need the odd ad to let people know it exists. Then, it will sell itself. Word of mouth will say if it's any good. But if they gotta bombard it, it must be absolute crap and they gotta get as much money from first-timers as they can, sorta like the opening weekend of a crap movie, get as many people in before word-of-mouth gets out as to how crap it is.

Needless to say (but I will anyway), Trivago and the law firm are on my blacklist of places to never use.

1. tfewster
      Facepalm

Re: Trivago?

It's 2017, and the Trivago ads are telling us how to use a website to search for hotel rooms. Unfortunately their target viewer is more likely to put the credit card in the CD holder than complete a booking successfully.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Trivago?

It's not just Trivago.

Tip: don't book air tickets or hotel rooms through some intermediary/middleman service.

Book direct from the source (airline or hotel).

7. Sgt_Oddball
    Unhappy

shame

If only HTC still did a phone like the desire z this could have been avoided. Proper keyboard in a useful format, it was also the last HTC I bought.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like