back to article Mappy days! Ordnance Survey offers up free map of UK greenery

The Ordnance Survey has launched a free online map of Britain's green spaces with an open dataset for developers to get their hands on. The mapping agency's latest offering pulls together geospatial data to create a map of concrete-free areas across the country – everything from your local park to an allotment. The work …

1. Aitor 1

mafia

Their practices are close to mafia practices...and because of that they have a monopoly...always a bad thing.

Ask the duxe who wrote who owns scotland, for example.

1. wolfetone Silver badge
      Coat

Re: mafia

Don't you mean... mapia?

Geddit? Geddit? Eh? Eh?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

I have four apps on my phjone's home screen which can display maps, of which two are explicitly mapping apps. One of the four uses OS map data. So they are failing dismally to be a monopoly. And OS maps app (which is, not surprisingly the one that uses OS data) costs me, I think, £20/year for full offline everything across a couple of devices and the web. Which is cheap: so they're also failing to enforce any kind of monopoly pricing.

So no, not a monopoly: you're just making stuff up.

1. Cripes Chief!

I use Viewranger at present, what App do you use that gives you full UK access for £20/yr and what scale does it go to?

1. Jelder

'OS Maps' app by 'Ordnance Survey' . It's on Play and App store - you can subscribe in-app but it's cheaper on the web.

2. Cuddles

"I use Viewranger at present, what App do you use that gives you full UK access for £20/yr and what scale does it go to?"

I use Backcountry Navigator, which has OS maps (although only 1:50000 I think) as well as a wide variety of maps worldwide (including quite a few government-run maps similar to OS, various open maps such as OpenStreetMap, and some more unusual ones like NOAA ocean charts) for a single payment of about £10.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I use the OS maps (iOS but I think it is on other platforms as well), which has 1/25k ('explorer') maps for everywhere, as well as all the other more fashionable ones (including this new one). The digitisation isn't quite as good as their older iOS app which is mildly annoying, but for that app you had to buy tiles.

As someone else said: check the subscription prices, as they may be better direct. They are also very approachable -- I botched my renewal and spent some time exchanging mail with someone to get it fixed.

3. JRW

I think the online stuff the OS are doing, and the £20 a year print your own service, is great. I have no idea what abuse of monopoly Aitor1 thinks is going on - looks like great public service to me.

1. Geoffrey W

Perhaps they have a monopoly on truly great maps and excellence, all the others being just rubbish in comparison, unable to compete?

I have a fetish for OS maps and have pored over them for hours plotting my routes and looking for oddities to visit. I caress my maps with a strange light in my eyes and a longing in my restless soul...

4. phuzz Silver badge
      Facepalm

The Ordnance Survey was a branch of the government until two years ago (and it's still wholly owned by The Crown), originally it was part of the Army (hence the name). So yes, OS do have a monopoly on the data that they have collected, in the same way that the Police have a monopoly on law enforcement, or the Royal Navy has a monopoly on nuclear submarines.

Unless you're suggesting that the heads of other mapping firms have woken up with a horse's head in their bed, or perhaps been discovered off Scarborough pier wearing a concrete overcoat, then perhaps calling them a 'mafia' is a bit of an exaggeration?

(Note, they don't have a monopoly on mapping, it's entirely legal to go out and map the entire UK yourself, and to do what you like with the data)

5. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Plenty of alternatives available, ViewRanger, HereWeGo, Google Maps (you can pre-download and cache map data for use offline), but there's nothing like having a crisp new Ordnance Survey map in your pocket.

I'm old skool, paper map and a compass, with the phone as a backup.

2. TRT Silver badge

Very useful...

for any space hungry developer. Cynical? Moi?

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The mapping agency's latest offering pulls together geospatial data to create a map of concrete-free areas across the country – everything from your local park to an allotment."

That's a small proportion of concrete-free areas:

- Public parks or gardens

- Play spaces

- Golf courses

- Sports areas or playing fields

- Churchyards or burial grounds

- Allotments or community growing spaces

Almost everything I can see from my window is concrete free and none any of it falls into any of these categories.

1. really_adf

Almost everything I can see from my window is concrete free and none any of it falls into any of these categories.

Such as? The only thing I can think of that isn't in the list and that makes sense for the purpose is a beach.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Such as? The only thing I can think of that isn't in the list and that makes sense for the purpose is a beach."

Farmland, woodland (except amenity woodland) and moorland.

1. Jelder

Most of that's not accessible to the public, though. Which is what this is.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think the article misrepresents what they've done, which is to produce a map of green areas anyone can walk in (and not just 'on roads near' or 'on footpaths through').

1. Chris Miller

We've got two 'adjoining commons' near me (in the Chilterns). One is shown as a 'green space', the other isn't. I think most people would struggle to tell when they cross from one into the other.

3. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: none any of it falls into any of these categories.

Is this what is meant by not seeing the wood for the trees?

I suppose that numerically the number of National Parks is quite modest, but not in terms of acreage. The author has overlooked her surname as a potential category of greenery, and Dr Syntax beat me to mentioning moorland.

4. Nolveys
    Windows

Date Night

"So honey, according to the map we have several options. Do you want to take the bum path, the drunk path, the pervert path, the mugging path or the stabby path?"

"Anything, just as long as we don't have to go back the way we came."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The OS used to have a monopoly

However since google came along, they have been loosing their position. That being said, things that the US do not have, such as public footpaths are only availible from the OS.

For basic location applications then there are a fair amount of datasets, some with only minimal errors that may be ignored if you check against aerial photography.

Mobile mapping products just do not have to be that accurate as it isn't a legal issue if you get it wrong.

Back when I was doing GIS maintenance, capture was using OS landline as a reference, this may have changed but it used to be that OS was the standard datum that everything else relied upon and I think landline cost something like £40,000 a year

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The OS used to have a monopoly

For old farts like me who spent geography lessons trying to fold them back up right, OS maps rock. Example, eldest daughter likes triathalon, still just a beginner though. Planned herself a nice route. I took a quick look on Bing's OS maps thingy, pointed out that part of her route had quite a steep hill. Whatever mapping software she'd used didn't mention this, but with your OS map it was all too clear. Being a cocky little git, she didn't take a bit of notice of the old fart. She had a near death experience on the hill I'd warned her about, and I was pleased.

6. LeftyX

Don't forget:

http://www.theonion.com/article/alarming-report-finds-only-6-earths-surface-indoor-51405

7. Spoonsinger

I went outside today. It was wet.

8. Dominion

Free maps that have been mostly paid for by the tax payer? Thanks for errrr.... Giving me what I already own???

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

"Free maps that have been mostly paid for by the tax payer? Thanks for errrr.... Giving me what I already own???"

I just took my F-35 that I contributed towards out for a spin. Didn't you get the invite?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Free maps that have been mostly paid for by the tax payer? Thanks for errrr.... Giving me what I already own???"

FYI OS is not paid for by the government, at least not any more. It covers expenses by selling access to all that very expensively collected data.

9. Rasslin ' in the mud
    Black Helicopters

On this side of the pond...

Copied from merriam-webster.com because I wasn't interested in subscribing to the OED.

"Definition of ordnance

a : military supplies including weapons, ammunition, combat vehicles, and maintenance tools and equipment

bombers dropped heavy concentrations of ordnance on every targeted airfield — Ron Dick

b : a service of the army charged with the procuring, distributing, and safekeeping of ordnance"

My question: Is this another color vs colour spelling mismatch or is something more sinister afoot?

To explain further (same source):

Definition of ord.i.nance

a : an authoritative decree or direction : order On that day the king signed three ordinances.

b : a law set forth by a governmental authority; specifically : a municipal regulation A city ordinance forbids construction work to start before 8 a.m.

: something ordained or decreed by fate or a deity

Let ordinance come as the gods foresay [=foretell] it. — William Shakespeare

: a prescribed usage, practice, or ceremony observes the ordinance of abstinence during Lent

1. drand

Re: On this side of the pond...

It's ordnance, and it means what you suggest. They started off a few hundred years ago surveying (i.e. making maps) for ordnance, on account the English picking fights with everyone.

Several interesting background articles on the web explain the history of the OS.

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: On this side of the pond...

It's the first, 'ordnance', because when originally commissioned, the maps were used to locate caches of weapons (magazines (<- not as in 'Time Magazine', but as in a battery of weapons (not as in 'AA' battery, as in an array of weapons (not as in an ordered list, but a collection))))

OK, I'm done now. ; -)

10. Naich

I couldn't see the actual link in the article.

http://www.osmaps.uk/greenspace

11. Ron Swanson
    Holmes

OS Locate

OS Locate is a free app by OS that you can use with a paper map, try it out!

12. andy gibson

Maverick for Android

Free app, has OS maps to 1:25,000 as well as others.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maps schmaps

I navigate like a homing pigeon.

Wife: Are we closer to arriving yet?

*turns to his wife*

I fucking said we'll be there in an hour.

Wife: That was an hour ago.

We're not fucking lost, im just looking for a petrol station. Fuck!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like