back to article Microsoft's Azure chief: What's good for cloud is good for on-premises too

Microsoft’s investment in cloud services is also improving its on-premises software, claims Azure and SQL Server boss Scott Guthrie. I first met Scott Guthrie in Las Vegas in September, 2000, where he was talking up a web development framework then called ASP+, which he had developed alongside Mark Anders. The framework was ASP …

1. Oliver Reed
    Pint

Guthrie's Alive!

But his blog died about a year ago

1. Peter Clarke 1
      Joke

Re: Guthrie's Alive!

What do you expect when he wears a red shirt??

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Azure stack on premises...

And after being back to leased time shared remote system, let's go back to on premises mainframes.... just a few years more, and the newest technology will be the personal computer!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Azure stack on premises...

I think the big issue though is that MSFT thinks of Azure, cloud, anything new as yet another opportunity to sell proprietary software for a license or as a service (which the cost of the license blended into the service cost). Not sure that people want to do that anymore. I think the issue will be, much as is there issue with productivity and OS, that Google is creating awesome stuff, Kubernetes in the case of cloud stack, and just giving it away as open source.

3. AMBxx Silver badge

This Guthrie bloke

So he's the one responsible for all the stuff that Microsoft do well?

I'll forgive him Silverlight - good implementation of a bad idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I'll forgive him Silverlight - good implementation of a bad idea."

Good implementation? With all the bugs and vulnerabilties it had???

1. EddieD

Re: "I'll forgive him Silverlight - good implementation of a bad idea."

"Good implementation? With all the bugs and vulnerabilties it had???"

Less* than Flash though, I think...

*I'm not sure you can count the bugs/vulnerabilities in Flash, so I'm using less, not fewer.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Less* than Flash though, I think..."

Just because it lived far less. And as many other MS technologies, it left in the mud many developers who believed in the usual MS promises about the next great technology.

2. Nolveys

Re: "I'll forgive him Silverlight - good implementation of a bad idea."

Less* (vulnerabilities) than Flash though

If one were able to graph a program's vulnerabilities in 2 space then Flash would look like the Mandelbrot set.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seriously?

"Guthrie also impressed me a few years later, when he was responsible for Silverlight,"

You're easily impressed.

5. deadlockvictim

SilverLight & Azure

Let me get this right, he has worked his magic on Silverlight and now he's turned his attention to Azure. Where do I sign up?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What happens to Hyperconverged players now

Is Azure Stack comparable to Hypervisor offerings from Cisco, Dell, HP and Nutanix?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Re: What happens to Hyperconverged players now

Nope, it's like having your own Azure system in-house. Not just a hypervisor (thought they're in there).

1. srinin

Re: What happens to Hyperconverged players now

Noob here. Just what does this mean for HCI players. Cisco, Dell, HP and Nutanix are all trying to sell boxes that enable a cloud like environement. The question is, is Azure stack a improved version of HCI OS's out there, but customized for Microsoft environment?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

You are spoiling us Mr El Reg

Another chance for a MSFT 2-minute hate!

8. Slabfondler
    Thumb Up

I've seen him speak, and it was very interesting to say the least. He took 20 questions from the audience, then wove the answers to those questions into a discussion of Azure and its current state and his vision. Very down to earth kinda guy you would easily strike up a chat with at the pub :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like