back to article Talk about a hit and run: AA finally comes clean on security breakdown

UK car insurance and driving school giant The AA has at last admitted it accidentally spilled its customers' personal information all over the web. In an astonishing U-turn, the motoring biz confessed on Friday that people's names, postal addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses were exposed to the internet – and, in some …

1. frank ly

So Sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJqziTVLNoo&ytbChannel=johann10000

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Leaks & Lies

We shit-canned the old aging IT department over a weekend, and moved to a dirt cheap 3rd party. It was a Double-Win! We saved lots of $ and I got my big fat bonus. Now I can still blame the outsourced help.... In a word... Sweet!

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Bit like the WPP story earlier this week - poor management decisions leading to outsourcing/using 3rd party IT companies.

Companies must really start to pull their corporate fingers out, put an IT director on the board with at least the same status/power as the beancounter director.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not necessarily a bad decision to outsource something peripheral to their main business, such as an online store. What's really wrong is picking an incompetent supplier, and even when you apologise for the failing to take responsibility for their cock-up.

4. The Infamous Grouse
    Facepalm

I haven't used the AA in years but still had a legacy account, so to be safe I just changed my password this morning.

Had repeated rejections of the new password because "it must be at least 8 characters." I had started with 64 characters, then tried 32, 24. It finally accepted one when I got it down to 16 characters.

Arbitrary maximum password lengths are never a sign of good security practice. This is not looking promising at all.

1. Adam 1

It's also worth considering whether you used to reuse the same password on other services.

A good opportunity to spend the hour or two resetting the password on those online accounts you only use every tenth of never with strong random passwords you store in a password manager (any of the top few password managers are fine). Use a strong password to unlock the password manager. Backup that password database frequently and depending on your threat model, decide whether to print out your password putting it out. One last thing, if you backup to the cloud, then have your cloud credentials somewhere else too because you'll need them to recover the password database.

2. JCitizen
      FAIL

Well...at least

they didn't come out with that tired old axiom of "your security is very important to us". That statement is so cliched that I can't even take any company using that line as "serious" at all!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would have been fixed sooner but it took them 4 hours to send someone out.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It might have taken a long time to sort out but it's completely inexcusable not to notify those possibly affected immediately.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Always simpler than you think

What you dont have (store) you cant lose or have stolen

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Always simpler than you think

13GB/120000 accounts > 100K each

What other information do they keep about each customer?

1. Pen-y-gors

13GB/120000 accounts > 100K each

What other information do they keep about each customer?

My first thought as well. 100K is a small book.

1. LewisRage

Might have been more than just a customer DB? Depending on the nature of the backup it could have other stuff in that isn't specific to customers.

8. Anonymous IV
    Unhappy

"We're so sorry..."

"... Uncle Albert."

Allusion missed.

9. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Useual first reaction...

As usual, first reaction, deny everything, second reaction, claim only a few people affected and anyway, nothing important was stolen.and then eventually, when it's no longer newsworthy in the mainstream media, admit that actually it was quite serious after all.

Name, address, card expiry date, last four digits of the card all associated with an AA account is more than enough to create almost perfect phishing emails.

10. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

GDPR (as of May 2018)

would see these clowns having to recompense each affected customer.

Maybe *then* we'll see some serious data protection.

Incidentally, I had to sign up to HMRC online yesterday. I was impressed. True 2FA, via 2 channels - text or phone call. The only criticism I have is the "3rd way" to get 2FA was "to install the HMRC app".

I can't begin to describe how fucking sick and fucking tired I am of "just install our app" - especially when I have 3 2FA code generating apps on my phone already.

Surely HMRC could have used Google Authenticator ?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: GDPR (as of May 2018)

Far better any RFC-based OTP solution. You could then use HMRC's app or an open source one.

But the less Google the better.

(I didn't downvote.)

2. deanb01

Re: GDPR (as of May 2018)

I use Microsoft Authenticator with HMRC online services. Pretty sure it works with Google Authenticator too; only use MS for Office 365.

11. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Surely HMRC could have used Google Authenticator ?

Everything was going fine and dandy, until this.

Do people really file stuff as important as this using their phones?

I think this is one of the compelling reasons for the continued usage of pc's located on terra firma.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Surely HMRC could have used Google Authenticator ? 1 thumb down

Aha. Have you really thought through what HMRC's response to you not filing forms in a timely fashion if you can't login due to a Google Authenticator [Third Party] issue would be?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely HMRC could have used Google Authenticator ? 1 thumb down

Whilst the 2FA apps from Google and others appear to be (more) secure than just passwords, and are fine when working, doesn't the grief that ensues when the phone gets stolen / breaks / replaced make it not worth the serious hassle (as in locked out of your account type hassle)?

12. 4d3fect
    Coat

AA

Hi, my name is Ford, and

--you already knew that?

13. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    WTF?

How much longer is it going to take ?

How much longer will we have to wait until CEOs stop with the stonewalling, pretending and generally blundering blindly about the corridors of PR and just straight out admit there's been a problem ?

It's not like they can't see that, in the end, they always will, is it ? Or do we have a generation of PR people that have the same Pavlovian training and all have the same counsel : deny and wait ?

Kudos to AA for finally coming clean, but shame on you for trying to pull the same wool and utterly failing to do so efficiently.

Come on, CEOs ; we can accept that there are problems. Failures happen, mistakes are made. But we CANNOT accept being lied to and led through the dark. You published private data ? SAY SO.

It will be so much more impressive being the first one to actually do that, I think that in itself would be a worthy PR move.

1. GrapeBunch
      Terminator

Re: How much longer is it going to take ?

"How much longer will we have to wait until CEOs ..."

Until jail time. Or is it gaol time? And personal liability when the delay is flagrant. Say 200% of the CEO's compensation for a particular year. IANAHBIPOOTI.

14. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

I know it's Monday and I'm tired, but....

"We do not believe customers who only shopped with us after January 2017 to have been affected at all."

Does that mean customers after Jan 2017 ARE affected or NOT affected?

15. Arthur2sheds

Roll on 25 May 2018

Maybe GDPR will "refocus" organisations' response measures and code of conduct, blurring the line between legal obligations and moral responsibilities. Be upfront with data loss so that those potentially at 'high risk' (GDPR Article 34) can also take their own response measures to limit the impact.

I'm looking forward to the outrageous actions (which seems to be mis-direction, untruths, delaying tactics...) of such companies getting a huge administrative fine of up to €20,000,000 or 4% of their gross global turnover (of the preceding financial year). If we don't take such punitive measures the weekly reported breaches of personal information will become the norm and taken less seriously, whilst the consequences for us - users of such services - will increase substantially.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon