back to article Emirates and Turkish Airlines lift laptop ban on US-bound flights

Two Middle Eastern airlines have lifted the ban on in-cabin laptops on flights to the US. The ban, imposed in March over fears that terrorists could smuggle bombs disguised as laptops on aeroplanes, has been scrapped with immediate effect on Emirates and Turkish Airlines flights. Passengers were asked to leave devices larger …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security Theater proudly presents...

Ubu Roi. Only more bizarre and not as funny.

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Stop

"Airlines lift ban"

That seems to be Fake News as it is the US which imposed then lifted the ban. It may not be the most egregious case of Fake News or Alternative Fact but it still amounts to distorting the truth of the situation.

"US lifts in-cabin laptop ban on flights to the US for Emirates and Turkish airlines" would be more accurate

In the current climate, with Trump proclaiming the 'lying media' to be purveyors of Fake News, please don't hand him evidence which proves his case.

3. Aleksandr Gekht

Interesting... The ban for flights to UK is still in place. I wonder if UK will follow the US for these airlines.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No Theresa May doesn't want anyone at liberty to do anything.

Seriously, I wish that old bag would come out of Number 10 with two middle fingers up screaming "fuck you all" ... At least then we have a line in the sand and know where her honesty starts.

1. sebt
        Facepalm

If the old bag lifted the UK ban, Rothermere and Murdoch's shit-sheets would be screaming "SOFT ON TERRORISM" like banshees before the announcement was even finished.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

That's probably how she'll end up leaving office.

2. VBF

To be strictly accurate, the UK never banned devices on Emirates - just Turkish Airlines

4. Mike Moyle

Were I the suspicious and cynical sort of individual (...which, of course, I'm not!) I might note that both Turkey and the UAE have the sort of strong-man governments and lamentable civil rights records that Trump seems particularly fond of. I wonder, on the other hand, how many European airlines, say, might find themselves having a suspiciously hard time meeting the new standards that DHS is rolling out for all air travel to the U.S. (Not because their leaders talked harshly to Rumpledthinskin -- Of course not! -- but just because... reasons!)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In Trump we trust

I wonder if kickbacks to trump businesses help improve US security...

6. anothercynic Silver badge

Interestingly...

Qatar was one of the first to be cleared too... Which was somewhat funny (as in 'how bizarre' funny, when the ban was implemented) given that Hamad International was (is) a TSA-PreCheck location and given how the UAE and Saudi Arabia have declared Qatar a primary terrorism sponsor.

So yes, figure that one out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon