back to article Is IT stuck with cloud busting budget structures?

Freeform Dynamics A lot of noise is currently being generated around Cloud Computing and flexible IT infrastructures based on virtualised platforms. There is no doubt that the technologies to be found at the heart of these types of solutions have matured considerably over the course of the last couple of years. However, both …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frank
    Thumb Up

Any links to further reading?

Thank you Tony,

I managed to find your original blog on freeformdynamics after only a small rummage around the site. I couldn't find any deeper analysis though.

Can you provide any links to further articles on this subject, especially comparisons of IT funding and budget control models?

Thanks if you do, no problem if you don't.

Regards

Frank

2. Adrian Waterworth

Still dreaming of orgone???

If that's a reference to a fairly famous song from a certain diminutive, squeaky voiced songstress with a penchant for weird and wonderful videos that occasionally incited pubescent lust in some of the male population back in the late seventies or early eighties, shouldn't that be "still dream of Organon"?

Just checking...

3. Richard Read

Tail wagging the dog?

Looking at this the other way around perhaps the business models in common use today among cloud computing vendors are not appropriate for their target markets.

Why should IT budget setting and management shift focus away from cost control, particulary in todays economic climate, just because cloud computing vendors have not got their act together?

4. Adrian Waterworth
    Coat

Although...

...I suppose I failed to mention that orgone and cloudbusting do, in fact, go together as well. It just doesn't happen to be the correct line in the context of the song.

Funnily enough, orgone and pubescent lust go together too. Well sort of.

And much of the hubbub that grew up around the orgone idea was eventually debunked as a load of old cobblers. Which will hopefully be the ultimate fate of a lot of this cloud computing nonsense, which is (let's face it) really just the latest dressed-up incarnation of the whole thin client idea. In the same way that things like J2EE, .Net, Web Services and SAAS in general are just the latest incarnation of loads of old distributed systems ideas (looking back through CORBA and DCOM to DCE and its predecessors).

In fact, is anyone actually going to get around to inventing anything new in this industry? And no, rehashing old ideas or putting some inane Web 2.0 gloss on some load of "user-generated" old bollocks doesn't count.

See? Now you've gone and made me all grumpy and it's not even ten o'clock yet. Must have been the Kate Bush reference reminding me just how old I'm getting...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Sigh... What a load of tripe...

Hate to put it this way, but the article is just usual tripe we get to hear every time something new and cewl comes along. Just because we are doing the latest coolest thing on earth we for some reason cannot follow any financial discipline and budget requirements. Sorry, I have heard that about agile, web 1.0, wap, J2EE and a whole lot of other things. I keep hearing it about Web 2.0 and now about cloud services at the moment. And to put it bluntly it is a load of bull.

In all cases the actual underlying reason has universally been the fact that developers have no idea how their application scale and are scared to admit it so they start wimpering about open-ended budgets.

OK, to be honest here, a matter of fact, it is not their fault. It is the actual underlying process (it is actually something that is mentioned in every good UML/Unified Process book). Moving to agile has not changed that either.

Neither are cloud services. They can still be run the same way as any IT project as long as there is an idea of how they scale capacitywise. All that is necessary for that is to finally admit that the software development paradigms we got stuck with on behalf of consultants working for Ericsson (UML, OO) and Crysler (Agile) are WRONG. Granted, this will spoil the coke sniffing habit of one consultant too many, but it is the actual place where a software project should start - resource utilisation modelling, benchmarking and scalability constraints. In fact for this Cloud is probably _MORE_ compliant to the IT budgeting process than any other approach.

6. amanfromMars Silver badge

Neuro Linguistic ProgramMIng. AIGames for the Whole Family.... Snow White Album.

[b].... with Pandoran Applets Supplying Desserts[/b]

"In fact, is anyone actually going to get around to inventing anything new in this industry? " .... By Adrian Waterworth Posted Thursday 18th September 2008 08:38 GMT

Yes ... and the Invention is Immaculate Source.

Can you Provide IT with the Anything Similar/Compatible/Compliant for Adding Zest to ITs Controlling Powers?

7. DZ-Jay

Re: Although...

>> And much of the hubbub that grew up around the orgone idea was eventually debunked as a load of old cobblers. Which will hopefully be the ultimate fate of a lot of this cloud computing nonsense,

Congratulations! You appear to finally "get" the reference in the tag line. On behalf of everyone here, I would like to welcome you to The Register. Enjoy your stay, and try not to strain yourself too much trying to figure out the witty quips from the writers in the future.

-dZ.

8. Adrian Waterworth
    IT Angle

@DZ-Jay

Sorry mate - been around here for years and years. I added my second comment just in case anyone reading my first comment assumed that I was solely a Kate Bush pedant who didn't know where the "orgone" reference came from.

Which does beg the question, did Kate Bush just get it wrong, or did she deliberately say "still dream of Organon" in order to avoid having trouble with Reich nutjobs if she used the word orgone?

OK, so there's no IT angle here, but I reckon such speculations are at least as useful as some of the overblown cloud computing hype that sometimes gets foisted upon the world by the overexcited nerd squad... :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.