back to article AWS Summit London queues caused by security, not snafu

The AWS Summit in London has opened – and queues of several hundred people are already building around the venue as rumours of an IT failure on the ticket desks swirl. Sources trapped in the queue sent us pictures from outside East London’s Excel exhibition centre, where AWS Summit London 2017 is taking place. They also …

1. Miss Config

Spreadsheet Them

Presumably they used some kind of spreadsheet with data telling them whom to admit or not.

Seriously though, how does this establishment relate legally to that Microsoft Office application ?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Not my experience

Got there at abt 8:50, in by 9, only complaint is that they'd run out of Danish pastries. But my waistline hardly needed them.

Good event in all fairness.

2. Martin Marv

Snafu, not security

Nope, registration system kept crashing for pre registered delegates

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: Snafu, not security

I haven't gone this year, but the registration system kept crashing last year and the year before, so that's normal.

2. MikeyL

Re: Snafu, not security

I had to wait for ages, and was told by several people that the registration terminals were down. This was around 10.00am, and when I got to the terminals several had blank screens still, like they were waiting for a page to load.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Velv
    Trollface

Ironic that AWS hasn't solved the problem of putting everything in one building and it isn't distributing the load and availability across sites in different regions.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Don't security hold-ups count as SNAFU?

6. streaky

Okay...

Do I have to be the one who points out that all those people parked up outside are a terrorist target in and of themselves? Put them on a plate why don't you.

Oh wait security theatre doesn't work does it..

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: Okay...

Also, this is in response to the Manchester Arena bombing, The bomber was as far as I can gather, just outside the secure area, and hit them as they were leaving the arena.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Okay...

Good point why not do security check before the queue, but wait the DLR was over packed with IT geeks too even before getting to the event lets do secure checks there!

Did see sniffer dogs around for the first time too but only inside. I think the bag checks were only in the morning too.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rude security - will not attend again with this type of TSA BS !

Rude security - will not attend again with this type of TSA BS !

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Re: Rude security - will not attend again with this type of TSA BS !

But looking at it from the point of view of a security guard, I'd assume it makes them happy to feel as though they are doing something worthwhile with their time.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that the security guards probably love it. I mean... I bet it makes them really REALLY happy.

8. Super User 6

Queue - problem with printer and the QR scanners did not work - WTF !

Badly organised: why not send the partner badges to the offices like last year ...

Also security was the TSA airport style like rude and pointless exercise: I was embarrassed for my guests who wanted to leave ... way to go !!!

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Ultimate Britishness experience – wet, grey skies and a huge wait just to be disappointed"

Always play to your strengths.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like