back to article India's Martian MOM clocks up 1,000 days circling the red planet

India's Mars Orbiter Mission – aka MOM – has celebrated its 1,000th Earth day in orbit around the red planet. The probe arrived on November 5, 2013 and last week ticked over into four figures. The mission cost a pittance or, as the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) puts it, MOM “is credited with many laurels like cost- …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Pint

Nice problem

"We expected it to only last 90 days, but after 1,000 days it's getting a little low on fuel".

In my books, that's a nice problem to have. Beers all round.

1. imanidiot Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Nice problem

Agreed --> I'll have the Kingfisher -->

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Pint

Still got 32% of the fuel they had after orbital insertion, 3.5 years ago.

That barely even registers as 'low' to me.

1. Cuddles

"Still got 32% of the fuel they had after orbital insertion, 3.5 years ago.

That barely even registers as 'low' to me."

There are two kinds of people - those who panic and start looking for a petrol station when the fuel metre gets close to halfway, and those who refuse to pay attention to the flashing light because there's easily at least 20 miles left in the tank so stop nagging me. I guess the ISRO is one of the former.

As for the 1000 days, I can't help wondering what kind of distribution you might see for expected vs. actual spacecraft (and lander) lifetimes. It seems most of them either have a lifetime of 0, or survive a couple of orders of magnitude longer than planned, with not much in between.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Still got 32% of the fuel they had after orbital insertion, 3.5 years ago.

That barely even registers as 'low' to me.

Especially as their mass is now significantly lower and hence any fuel that they do have left will be able to do more..

Like kicking out several of you oversize friends when on the way back from the pub after the fuel light goes on..

3. David Given

It did start out with 800kg of fuel, mind, so right now the tank's at about 1.5%. They *are* running on the dregs (probably why they did the burn with the attitude thrusters rather than the main engine).

...it started out with a fully loaded mass of 1337 kg. Yes, this may be humanity's first spacecraft to rate Elite status.

3. WraithCadmus
      Pint

Beers all round.

Or perhaps a malt drink for any Muslims on the team. Close enough colour right?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

India has a space program...

...and yet we still send them financial aid?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: India has a space program...

I used to think like that however,

Yes they have a space program which advances science.

Yet they also have a some very poor people.

What we do as the UK is give aid to the very poor people as the Indian government isn't set up like ours in terms of welfare. What we get back is a population who is grateful for our help who one day will move out of extreme poverty.

What do you suggest? We stop giving aid and tell the Indians to do more? That's not going to work due to the culture and would leave people to die.

So the options are let people die or send aid.

It's not like we can't afford it, we just sent a 1bn aid package to Northern Ireland to help those poor nationalist terrorists.

1. Noel Morgan

Sorry - I think you meant poor loyalist terrorists. (or better still - just terrorists)

Don't see too many picture of DUP MPs shoulder to shoulder with nationalists.

2. _Seb

Unionist Terrorists not Nationalist Terrorists, please keep them the right way round; these are our closest friends who are nothing like us and our worst enemies (the nationalists) are pretty progressive and far more like us. Politics is weird.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Unionist Terrorists not Nationalist Terrorists, please keep them the right way round

I'm going to focus on the word "terrorist" as people who deem that an acceptable means of behaving are not too selective in who they kill either. There is no "right" excuse or side here.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

UK has a space program...

...and yet 100's of thousands still rely on charity handouts.

TFTFY

1. Pen-y-gors

@Lost all faith

UK has a space program...

It does???? Are you sure?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"It does???? Are you sure?"

Well apart from a large investment in ESA, you may want to read this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/engineering/11734494/UK-space-industry-punching-above-its-weight-in-the-global-market.html

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

It does???? Are you sure?

It seems it does, cf http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/engineering/11221945/UK-space-industry-behind-Rosetta-comet-mission.html:

The mission to land on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko relies on British expertise

Ok, it tries anyway :-P

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

- "UK has a space program..."

- "It does???? Are you sure?"

I have it on good authority that the UK has a space programme.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

Why does this come up in EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE about ISRO? It's been explained, over and over.

First off, India doesn't just receive a bag of money from the UK. It doesn't in fact receive anything resembling traditional financial aid. For the rest I'll just copy one of my previous posts on the recent GSLV Mark III launch where somebody made the same comment:

"You clearly don't understand how government finances work so lets keep this simple.

Poor people without a job don't pay taxes. Poor people without a job are also unlikely to have the means of letting their childres go to a school, meaning their children wil also be poor and without a job.

Running a (relatively cheap) space program means you can get some better educated people a good job, so they can pay taxes and send their children to school, so the children will later pay taxes as well. You can then use the more reliable source of income from taxes to help the poor.

On top of that the space program is a billboard for the nation: "Hey, look at us, look what we can do. Send some of those manufacturing contracts our way maybe?" (Since being able to build a reliable rocket means you have a high degree of control/mastery of things like supply chain management, metalurgy, engineering, precision fabrication and assembly, transport, quality assurance, etc, etc). Guess what those extra contracts do? More people (including lower wage/education) with jobs, more people paying taxes, more people sending their children to school. Thus less poverty in the future.

Poverty isn't a prolem you solve by simply throwing money at it. And just because they spend 1 billion on a space program (a tad under a dollar per person) doesn't mean they don't spend anything on poverty relief/reduction. In fact they spend well over 100 billion a year on those measures. Stopping the space program would add less than 1% to that budget. Not exactly shocking."

India also has a nuclear weapons (the reason the UK stopped giving financial aid), IRBM and ICBM development programs amongst other technology not exactly fitting the tradition image of an "impoverished" nation. If anything you should be complaining about those, not about peaceful civilian applications of technology that can help develop the nation. But simply put, the traditional view of India as an "impoverished nation" is just wrong.

1. CASIOMS-8V

Well said Sir !

4. iRadiate

Lol..

4th post down. Always funny when these guys come out from the stones they live under.

5. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Perhaps you should forget about the Trident too as long as there are homeless Brits.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Mars colour camera? Er, why not use a black and white one and colour it red. You know, since it's the red planet and well, it's red.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Because mars contains other colors than red? And being able to distinguish those other colors allows you to understand what you're looking at?

4. Spacedman
    Alien

What's eclipsing?

What's actually doing the eclipsing here? Its not the teeny tiny martian moons. I can't see how a martian orbit would put a satellite on the night side of Mars for so many full orbits. What is going on?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's eclipsing?

It's Mars.

MOM was in a very elliptical orbit (421.7 * 76,993.6 km) and would have been in eclipse close to apoareon when it was moving most slowly - hence the long eclipse.

2. Mark 110

Mars I should think

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's that clunky old Java IDE isn't it?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're really searching hard for teh codez aren't they?

Have to hand it to India. They haven't yet found teh codez on stackoverflow, so now they're looking for them around Mars. Nice one!

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: They're really searching hard for teh codez aren't they?

Que?

6. jmarked

It has served more than it is timelined for. Good job for Indians.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like