back to article Swiss super pushes USA off podium in new Top500 Supers list

A GPU injection to the Swiss National Supercomputing Centre's Piz Daint supercomputer has seen it hit 19,590 TFLOPS and in the process bump the “Titan” machine at the USA's Oak Ridge National Laboratory off the podium for just the third time in the history of the TOP500 list of the world's mightiest supercomputers. China's 93, …

1. UK Jim

Titan History

"and in the process bump the “Titan” machine at the USA's Oak Ridge National Laboratory off the podium for just the third time in the history of the TOP500 list of the world's mightiest supercomputers."

Really!? This is the third time that Titan has dropped out of the top 3?

I think what you were trying to say is "and in the process made this only the third time in the history of the list when the USA has no machine in the top 3".

2. Roger B

Bar to entry

Surely/Shirley/surely a 25% increase in Tflops/s from November for the machine in last place is a pretty good increase if looking at Tflops alone, although I guess this is offset by the extra 87,000 processors needed, so perhaps yet again I have jumped in to make a post without understanding what the hell I am talking about.

3. Dr. G. Freeman
    Headmaster

"China's 93,014-TFlops Sunway TaihuLight remains at the top of the twice-yearly list, ahead of the 33,862.7 TFLOPS Tianhe-2."

Tflops, isn't that teraflops ?

So wouldn't it be 93 Petaflops, if my SI usage is right ?

(remembering old Physics teacher giving slap to head for 3000 kilograms answer)

4. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"...the UK's Meteorological Office..."

Living on the Atlantic's left hand side, we deeply appreciate their work. Especially during hurricane season.

5. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

And Trump says the USA is ahead of China?

The USA is going the UK way.

Plenty of smart ideas but lacking the skills to execute them commercially.

When you consider where China was 40-50 years ago, mainly agrarian, terrible electricity, water and transportation, they sure have come a long way, For this they deserve congratulations.

For this the citizenry suffered, though, big time. Hopefully today's generation, and those who follow, will reap the success of these technological achievements. I think of some of the residents I met in YunNan, located in the far southwest of the country, who to this day live in grass and mud huts without education or even basic infrastructure such as electricity, water or sewers.

6. Arctic fox
    Happy

I have to smile. I am of a "certain age" and I find the idea that .....

.........."the wimpiest machine on the June 2017 TOP500 list, down in 500th place, is operated by an unnamed Chinese internet company and runs 110,000 Xeon E5-2609V2 4C cores at 2.5GHz, for a total 432.2 TFLOPS" is utterly amazing. Amazing in the sense of how far we have come in recent decades. It really is quite extraordinary to see how computing power has grown. See icon.

7. lglethal Silver badge
    Joke

Australia only 111th?

Well thats no surprise. How much computing power do you need when the weather is always hot and sunny? Every day hot and sunny. Hot and Sunny. Except when its flooding of course, but you know that always comes as a surprise, so you can just stick with the hot and sunny forecast and save some on that processing power...

8. Nattrash
    Joke

The Zuck

Well, you can say of the Zuck what you want, but if you're a geek, you have to be a real geek, right?

31 Facebook

United States

NVIDIA DGX-1/Relion 2904GT, Xeon E5-2698v4 20C 2.2GHz/ E5-2650v4, Infiniband EDR, NVIDIA Tesla P100/Quadro GP100

>>> SELF-MADE <<<

You have to admit, that is pretty impressive...

So how many geeks to do know who build their own 60,512 cores 3,307.0 Tflop/s box?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like