back to article It's 2017 and Microsoft is still patching Windows XP+ – to plug holes exploited by trio of leaked NSA weapons

Microsoft today addressed 96 CVE-listed vulnerabilities in its products – plus issued more emergency patches for unsupported versions of Windows menaced by leaked NSA exploits. A special bulletin from Microsoft on Tuesday explained the emergency update includes fixes for legacy versions of Windows and Windows Server dating …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS still cleaning up after Windows XP

When your dog shits in the park, you are expected to get the poo bags out, not whinge about how old he is and say: "well, he does that - here have a puppy".

1. Field Commander A9

Re: MS still cleaning up after Windows XP

Except it's not their dog anymore, at least legally.

1. kain preacher

They sent it to the vet to be put down, but it escaped .

2. pmartin66

Anyone stupid enough to be using XP deserves nothing. MS owes them NOTHING.

2. joed

I'm quite sure MS would not provide any fix for these if not for the risk of old systems hosing servers running supported versions of their OSs. Nothing beats herd immunity.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly as all the puppy is going to do is piss all over your privacy anyway.

1. TRT Silver badge

It's the last puppy you'll ever need.

4. asdf

>MS still cleaning up after Windows XP

All I can say is Apple could learn a thing or two. Windows still supports security updates to Windows 7 on the Mac Pro 3,1. Apple hasn't supported security updates for it in years and its their frigging hardware. Yes on average their OS may be a bit more secure but all modern OS require updates to stay secure.

5. Chemical Bob

Re: @gerdesj

You, sir, have sullied the reputations of dogs everywhere!

2. Ohb1knewbie

Windows Update? Ha,Ha,Ha,....

Windows Update has failed on my Win7 box ever since MS started their update roll-up BS a few months back. Any non-rolled-up'ed update installs without issue but not a single rolled-up package has successfully installed once all the reboot/failed/roll-back cycles have completed.

I've rolled back the install with images from six, twelve, and twenty four months ago with the same results. Now, I'm putting the final touches on both my Win7 and WinXP VM's so I can nuke the Windows partition and be done with MS installs that ever touch the web.

I still feel a tinge of love lost whenever I boot into Windows but it's quickly overcome by the shadow of abuse and failure. Sometimes you just have to let go of the hope for what could have been.

1. roblightbody

Re: Windows Update? Ha,Ha,Ha,....

Why didn't you upgrade to 8.0, then 7.1, then 10, then the 10 update... Windows 7 is really old now, I don't know why people persevere with it.

1. asdf

Re: Windows Update? Ha,Ha,Ha,....

> Windows 7 is really old now, I don't know why people persevere with it.

Wow I guess there are still some non IT folks on here (Microsoft sales drone perhaps or probably just a troll?).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The number of bugs in Edge os appalling...

Which says a lot of the supposed Windows 10 'quality'. Maybe they should fix the team, not the code.

1. patrickstar

Re: The number of bugs in Edge os appalling...

Unlike Chrome and Firefox that has no vulnerabilities whatsoever, especially not in numbers and severity very much comparable to Edge?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Edge has had far fewer vulnerabilities than Safari, Firefox and Chrome though.

3. asdf

Neither Edge or Chrome is ever going to be that secure if they include flash by default even supposedly sandboxed. I occasionally have to go find Edge's adobe plugin and nuke it after system updates which is annoying. Long live Secunia for pointing it out.

1. asdf

And for the record also fsck Node.js client side with a drill bit. That crap is being put in everything 3rd party has massive vulnerabilities all the time.

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

How can you tell a market has failed.

When a company manages to sell faulty products year after year and not go bankrupt.

5. Revelationman

XP should of died long ago, but there is still many top firms holding onto to it, and I am more that sure IT staff would love to migrate but from experience, there is probably many places that have legacy applications that will not run on Windows 10. You cannot blame your IT Department because at the end of the day they are not in charge of the purse strings.

1. bitmap animal

Re: Alternatives?

It's not just because of legacy applications. Computers are business tools and for many businesses XP does the job and is well understood by users and support staff. You don't expect to buy a new set of screwdrivers every five years just because the manufacturer has a new range with different shaped handles, often shaped in ways which make many tasks trickier to do.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

"You cannot blame your IT Department because..they are not in charge of the purse strings."

And they never have.

So?

"The IT Crowd" made hilarious comedy but part of a real IT departments job is to warn the rest of the business of what happens when you run out of support on your current OS, both on servers and desktops and how much those costs are going to rise if anything goes seriously sideways.

It's also about preparing for working out what it takes to migrate those applications to another OS, which in reality means another Windows, or finding out what has to change (like getting a supplier to update their S/W) to make it happen.

It's that tricky management / IT interface so hated by techy types.

Except IRL it's really quite important

6. RyokuMas
    FAIL

Question

"You cannot blame your IT Department because at the end of the day they are not in charge of the purse strings."

... but since when has bureaucratic restriction prevented the usual suspects from taking the opportunity to take a swipe at Microsoft?

7. adam payne

XP I loved you dearly but I just can't look at your big green start button any more.

1. Ramis101

I couldn't stand it from day 1, that's why i ran XP with "Classic Shell" so it looked like the uncluttered, efficient interface of Windows 2000. I do the same with 7 also

1. adam payne

After supporting Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000 and of course one single ME machine (it wasn't purchased by the IT department and I still say to this day I should have told them to bin it) supporting XP was fine by me.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a sterling performance..

As of August, it will be SIXTEEN YEARS ago that Microsoft brought out Windows XP. So that's SIXTEEN YEARS worth of patching and it's still a leaky bucket.

Doesn't that tell you all you need to know about the quality of their code?

1. roblightbody

Re: What a sterling performance..

It tells you that its a sixteen year old OS that shouldn't have been getting used for anything for years now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doesn't that tell you all you need to know about the quality of their code?

Unfortunately, it tells you all you need to know about pretty much all code produced by everyone.

1. stephanh

Re: Doesn't that tell you all you need to know about the quality of their code?

You cannot get something as complex as Windows XP truly bug-free and secure. At least not with current software development methods.

(Formal methods may help one day. Around the time we get flying cars.)

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Unhappy

You cannot get something as badly designed, written and complex as Windows XP truly

bug-free and secure.

FTFY.

Then again it takes a lot of creativity to keep building OS's that can soak up every spare bit of processor and disk capacity, despite the growth in both.

Got thing it's illegal to disassemble Windows. You have to wonder just how many delay loops (witting or unwitting) there are in that code.

9. tiggity Silver badge

XP

Depressingly I saw that running in a bank today

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: XP

So what "guaranteed bug free OS" would you have liked to have seen running?

1. stephanh

A supported one?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Do you have evidence that the bank isn't paying MS for XP support? Just because MS aren't providing support 'free' to joe public doesn't mean they aren't providing support to paying customers...

2. Robert Moore
        Coat

So what "guaranteed bug free OS" would you have liked to have seen running?

DOS 5.0

2. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

You'd never visit one again if you knew what their servers ran... or worse, what they emulated to get your bank balance to show.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
        Windows

@TechnicalBen

Perhaps some AC might pop up and give us some hypothetical examples of possible enterprise configurations, purely for academic discussion.

PS: signeage seems a hold-out judging by the error screens I see now and again...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Facepalm

No idea about anons... really those in the real "know" probably have legal contracts water tight. But those customers walking in and occasionally seeing the screens or other floor staff could make guesses. We will know in 20-30 years when people talk of their old days on the job, fixing that BA server problem etc. ;)

But I did once get a comment from bank staff, apologising for the delay. They said the branch had new software. So new in fact it still had Dollar signs where the pounds should have been. :D

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"or worse, what they emulated to get your bank balance to show."

Well....

I was aware of a Univac assembler program running on emulator running on an IBM mainframe running in '370 emulation mode just prior to Y2K. Sadly I've forgotten the name of the bank.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 Mobile

Great news for users of officially unsupported 16-year old Windows XP.

Will those security updates for Edge make their way into "unsupported" ( < 2 year old) phones running Windows 10 Mobile I wonder?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like