back to article Sainsbury's punts 'Innocent kids juices' for £2.99

As I write this, I can hear a distant droning which indicates the Twat-O-Tron has just been fired up at its secret location somewhere in Middle England and is about to discharge an unholy turdspurt at supermarket monolith Sainsbury's. Here's why: Sainsbury's offer for "Innocent kids juices" Yup, we're thinking the same as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nic Brough
    Paris Hilton

El Reg

Turning into Failblog?

ICanHasOldParisIconBackPlz? (although the others can stay, this new one just doesn't look as good...)

2. Steven Foster

Hahahaha

I hope they'll be forced to sign the sex offenders register.

3. Simon Robinson
    Pirate

Darn it!

If I'd have known they were squishing kids when I worked next door to them many years ago, I might have turned down all those free bottles...now I'm hopelessly addicted. Really bad as I now work at a school.

Of course the grammar would have been easy if they'd just labelled them "Innocent juices for kids".

4. Bob Greenwood

That's nothing.....

How many infants have to be squeezed to make a bottle of Baby oil?

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Nevermind the grammar

More to the point, how can they charge so much for 'Kids' smoothies, shouldn't they at least be half the price of the 'Adults' versions?!

6. Mike Dyne
    Paris Hilton

My little sister

Recently gave me a birthday card. She made it herself. She managed to correctly place an apostrophe (It's your birthday).

Shame on you Sainsbury's.

Paris, obviously.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Sainsbury's??

Shop at Asda, nobody there give a shit about apostrophes!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bought some of those

On the side of the carton they have a URL printed:

www.innocentkids.co.uk

I haven't visited it because I don't want the police kicking my door down at 5am and confiscating my computer...

9. Marvin the Martian
    Coat

Never mind the apostrophe,

Exactly which juices from innocent kids are we talking about here?

I'm sorry, mine's the dirty Belgian one.

10. Mike Groombridge
    Unhappy

i know this is being decussed else where but

the picture doesn't fit in your new fixed width evil ness place in future crop photo's to fit or get rid of the fixed width (my preferences) other than that it's lovely

but to the point clearly this is just a sign that the world is deevoling back to the soup we all came from.

I personally can't wait until we become a split race of super intelligent race of higher beings and a race of illiterate slaves for us to rule over. ofcourse first we must get rid of the third race of people who seems intelligent until they get public office then they suddenly become stupid i believe they are called politians

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

unholy turdspurt

I can't wait to use that one at the next meeting I have to go to.

Brilliant. Thanks for enriching my language once again.

12. Jay Cooper
    Paris Hilton

@ Mike Groombridge

For a comment on grammar you may just wanted to have proof read your post.......Capital letters are a godsend in the English language.

13. Alan Potter
    IT Angle

Chortle

I won't complain about the change in format of ElReg because I usually love the content. But this article really is late on a Friday afternoon after a good lunchtime in the pub level of quality.

So someone missed out an apostrophe. Who gives a flying fuck? The grammatical error is endemic. Yes, it pisses a lot of us off, but I fail to see the IT angle. Even slightly.

Have you suddenly started being sponsored by The Daily Mail?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Innocent Have Previous Form

They have also launched a drink called "Thickie". Now when I was at school "thickie" wasn't a drink.... Whatever next? A drink called Retard? One called Guilty Priest Squirt?

Yes, I know I'm going to Hull for that one...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Get in my belly

Well if Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers series decides to go on a liquid diet he now knows where to shop....

16. Sam

cannot resist

My little sister

By Mike Dyne Posted Monday 15th September 2008 14:45 GMT

" Recently gave me a birthday card. She made it herself. She managed to correctly place an apostrophe (It's your birthday)."

She's 24....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Superb... Well done, Sainsbo's muppets

*applause*

Now, El Reg web-monkeys, please fix the formatting so that the darned piccy is sized properly...

;p

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Mike Groombridge

"I personally can't wait until we become a split race of super intelligent race of higher beings and a race of illiterate slaves for us to rule over."

Judging by your post, I don't think you are in any danger of doing any ruling over.

19. Ferry Boat

Millions of peaches

The carton at the front appears to contain juices from Peaches. Now that seems like a good idea. At least it might shut her up.

20. Pierre
    Coat

I dont see whats you're problem here

Mine is the greengrocer's one

21. Andy ORourke
    Joke

@ Jay Cooper

I believe Mike Groombridge used the wrong Icon, I think he wanted the "Joke Alert" icon and given the poor quality of the new icons he got confused.

That's right isn't it Mike, I mean your comments on literacy and grammar peppered with so many mistakes was a joke, right?

22. Duncan Hothersall
    Heart

@Alan Potter

I suppose to the pure, all things are pure; but for the rest of us, the idea of drinking the juices of innocent kids is rather more off-putting than the missing apostrophe, and is indeed the point of the article.

23. Secretgeek
    Dead Vulture

FAIL.

This story is old. This went round the emails about 2 months ago.

My mates is a manger at Sainsbury's and revelaed that they then went and changed it to:

''Innocent Kids' - £2.99

Oh dear. Fail to Sainsbury's too.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missing Apostrophe

I am glad the Reg, has highlighted this grocers' apostrophe mistake, and this is so endemic to IT; you see it is in response to SQL injection attacks.

Remove the apostrophe, remove the threat I say.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What?

Who gives a flying one about the apostrophe? I mean, did you see the price? Bloody hell!

26. W
    Dead Vulture

Hoisted by yer own petard?

...the deliberate mistake: the mis-spelling of "Sainbury's" in the title of the article was intentional irony, wasn't it?

"this article really is late on a Friday afternoon after a good lunchtime in the pub level of quality"

Agreed.

Aside from the apostrophe incident, while innocent are overpriced at the best of times, this 'kids' version is daylight robery.

And, as has been mentioed, the image didn't fit the layout either.

Cuh!

Self-inflicted downfalls seem to be in vogue: Will G Brown/Nu-Labour or El Reg implode first?

27. Matt Bradley
    IT Angle

I see

I see now why you needed to make more space for headlines on the homepage.

With solid gold "news" like this, you *really* need the space.

"Grocer Gets Apostrophe Wrong"

in other news: pope confesses to closet catholicism.

Sigh.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

What's the world coming to...

when you can collect nectar points on innocent kids juices???

29. Mike Brown

cat milk?

reminds me of the day i told my g/f that cat milk comes from cats....the lok of horor was rather funny as i exlained there was factorys full of cats with mini pumps attached to there nipples............

30. Dan

So el Reg considers this news??

Jesus Christ, there are some sites on the web that you expect to pander to this kind of thing, failblog for example, or englishfail, but el reg?? You've got to be kidding me, I'm used to having to filter through the crap to the stuff I'm interested in but at least the crap used to actually be news! This is a joke, and it's not a funny one..

31. Dick Emery
    Joke

Pedo trap!

Seriously only a vulgar mind would think such a thing. No wait...

32. Adam Foxton

@Mike Brown

You can tell it's true- the Simpsons did something similar with rats. It's that whole cat-and-mouse thing going- they thought they'd take the piss out of reality by making it a rat rather than a cat!

I think they should just avoid mentioning kids at all.

33. roy
    Stop

never mind the apostrophe - £2.99!!

how can they charge that much for juice?? even if it is from innocent kids!

34. Dave Bell

Two apostrophes, please.

Surely they should be labelled "Innocent's kids' smoothies"?

35. Mike Dyne
    Happy

You should've resisted!!!

By Sam Posted Monday 15th September 2008 15:39 GMT

She's 24....

It was my 23rd birthday yesterday! :)

She's 11, not the brightest kid in the world, but damnit, I'm proud she got that one right!

36. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@roy

Well, "innocent" is just another way of saying "naive" or "gullible"...

37. Chris

At Sainburys...

Kids are Soylent Green...

38. Chris Walker
    Thumb Down

WTF?

Has this got to do with IT, or anything remotely close to it?

My GOD get a life!

39. Andrew
    Coat

@Mike Groombridge

Are you THE Mike Groombridge? (Cambridge, early this decade?)

If not; I'll get my coat, it's the dirty flasher mac, with pockets stuffed with bottles of innocent kids' juices...

40. tebiru

Not to spoil a good joke...

...but that's not necessarily incorrect. You can say 'Innocent kids' as a single brand name. In which case an apostrophe isn't necessary between the 'kids' and 'juices'. For example, you would say 'Innocent juices' not 'Innocent's juices'.

41. kain preacher

Captain Jamie

One better for you. about four years ago corn nuts did a major ad campaign. Theme was nut busting fun.

The ad went like this. Bust a nut at work, but a nut at the prom, bust a nut at the park.

Lets look at that again .

Bust a nut at work: I don't want to get fired

Bust a nut at the prom: I'm working on it

Bust a nut at the park: and end up on the sex offenders list..

For you people that don't get it it, google bust a nut. Make sure you are not at work

42. skeptical i

Essence of Gelfling next shelf over, also on sale?

And, from the _Addams Family_ movie:

Girl Scout: Is this [lemonade] made from real lemons?

Wednesday: Yes.

Girl Scout: I only like all-natural foods and beverages, organically grown, with no preservatives. Are you sure they're real lemons?

Pugsley: Yes.

Girl Scout: I'll tell you what. I'll buy a cup if you buy a box of my delicious Girl Scout cookies. Do we have a deal?

Wednesday: Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

(b'dmp-KSSSH)

Anyhoo, what marketroid decided on the "Innocent" brand name? Sounds a bit Lolita- ish, ya? Or are they trying to carve marketshare away from Megaphone Mark's "Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!" brand?

43. Angus
    Flame

@ all the whiners about "wots the IT angle"

Sigh... the story is in Bootnotes. I suggest if you have issues with articles that have very little or nothing to do with IT you give the whole section a miss rather than reading them and then complaining it. Getting all huffy and then polluting the comments section with your inane whines about "How this has nothing to do with IT" gets a tad old.

As a simple guide, the articles with "Bootnotes" above the headline are things you probably want to avoid.

44. kevin biswas
    IT Angle

Extraction method ?

So are they cold pressed and filtered, or solvent extracted, or simply pulped or what ? There is a hint of a technology angle there.

45. michael

apostrophes bah

apostrophes who needs them they are just commas filled with heilam I say we get rid of the hole stinking lot of them

46. TeeCee Gold badge
    Stop

@Secretgeek

"My mates is a manger at Sainsbury's and revelaed that they then went and changed it to:"

O....M.....F.....G.....! All I can say is that your title was well chosen as you appear to have swigged deeply from the cup thereof.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually, shouldn't be an apostrophe

Apostrophe is for possessive case. As you point out, it would be 'juices of kids'. What they really mean is juices FOR kids, so that's how it should have been written.

48. Aortic Aneurysm
    Thumb Down

June called

They would like their news back

49. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

There is nothing wrong

Reg, you are wrong. The caption is 100% correct. There is no need for an apostrophe, the stuff is called "Innocent Kids". It's not plural, it's a name.

50. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Ok, I confess to being slower than the average bear...

... but I read the whole apostrophe thing as an ironic misdirection aimed at highlighting the absurdity of a story on tabloid standard giggle-icious faux pas and a not so subtle dig at those folk that take such things altogether too seriously and vent their misplaced spleens webwise ...

The bears have been robbing me blind at the three card monte and i could certainly use a bottle of the Innocent brand fruit juice for kids to quench the inferno of my burning humilliation.

51. Ash
    Joke

Dear oh dear...

I wondered why they tasted so good.

"Sugar and spice and all things nice" apparently.

52. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Its money saving

Its quite simple, they are using as few chars as possible to save printing costs.

Next week they are brining in txt speek

Inocnt 4 kds £3.99

53. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you SURE it needs an apostrophe?

The product is called "Innocent smoothies for Kids". To me, it looks like the name has been shortened to "Innocent Kids". That is the name of the product, so I don't think there should be an apostrophe.

Maybe the price ticket text should have been quoted - ie - "Innocent Kids" juices

54. steogede
    Dead Vulture

@AC

>> Apostrophe is for possessive case. As you point out, it would be 'juices of kids'. What they really

>> mean is juices FOR kids, so that's how it should have been written.

Exactly, now if it were Tesco or ASDA the product would be the juice of innocent kids, however I am sure our beloved Sainsbury's would only ever sell Innocent for Kids juice and not the aforementioned.

55. mittfh
    Coat

Baby goats?

Never mind the children, I wonder how long it will be before IFAW and friends start moaning about the number of baby goats killed and blended down to a pulp...

Meanwhile, since we're getting rather possessive over apostrophes, here are a few spare ones to scatter around wherever appropriate: '''''

Mine's the one with the bloodstains...

56. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the Only Ones

It must be catching. The default web page which is supposed to confirm that the web-sharing is working correctly on the Mac - Leopard reads ....

'It’s a snap to create and publish your own website from your Mac. When your site is ready, it’s just as easy to publish it. Open System Preferences and click Sharing, then select Web Sharing.

Your done. Your site is now available on your private network at home or work.'

57. Tim
    Thumb Up

I love this article

I haven't seen it before so I don't care if its old.

Its funny so I don't care if there's no IT angle.

It made me laugh out loud at work, its Tuesday and people looked round...

...perfick

58. ShaggyDoggy

So it it now soon to be

Sainsburys

59. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The brand name is 'innocent'

The product name is 'smoothies for kids'.

Where did juices ever come into it?

Bad joke?

60. Chris
    Coat

@ ASDA & AC comment

AC Said "Shop at Asda, nobody there give a shit about apostrophes!"

That's 'cos they don't know what they are......

61. John
    IT Angle

there is a tech angle on all this nonsense

When you get your receipt it doesn't say Innocent Kids juice strawberey flavour. It has to be truncated down to whatever will fit on the 2 inch wide paper strip. You end up with INNOKDSJUICE or something. Am I being too pedantic?

62. Jamie Kephalas
    Thumb Up

Tesco...

...made the exact same problem.

63. Cathy Griffiths

Texaco Distressing?

Texaco haven't done much better, spot the spelling mistake on this promotion sign. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathyg/2173092970/

64. Andrew Elwell

sheesh el reg, this was sooooo January

tsk tsk - as photographed (judging from the shelf layout) back in January

see http://lodge.glasgownet.com/2008/01/25/supermarket-labels/

65. Colin P
    IT Angle

New Keyboard Please

By Mike Brown Posted Monday 15th September 2008 16:14 GMT

"reminds me of the day i told my g/f that cat milk comes from cats....the lok of horor was rather funny as i exlained there was factorys full of cats with mini pumps attached to there nipples............"

Great just great.... I'm going to try this myself, although i doubt i could keep a straight face.

66. Mark

To save their blushes

This is how to fit the words in innocently...

Innocent juice drink (kids)

Drop "juice" if that doesn't fit.

Sheesh.

67. Jeff Rowse

@Angus - hear! hear!

Some people obviously need a quick lesson in what the computer mouse is for - if you don't want to read non-IT stories, then don't visit Bootnotes. No clickee, no time lost, got it?

Simple, really.

To quote Baby Grumplin - "Berks".

68. dom
    Alert

How Much?!

You can get 7 litires of supermarket brand juice for that!.

This topic is closed for new posts.