back to article Plastic surgery patients face extortion in wake of clinic data breach

Thousands of private photos have been leaked by cybercriminals following the hack of a Lithuanian cosmetic surgery clinic. A hacking group, using the nickname "Tsar Team", leaked images it claims came from the Grozio Chirurgija clinic servers. The group spaffed the data after targeted health facility's customers failed to meet …

1. frank ly

Implications

Are they running their own webserver, next to their NAS, in a broom cupboard?

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Implications

Hey, the broom cupboard is locked, what more do you want?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Philip Schofield and Gordon the Gopher wanted for questioning.

2. ma1010
      Coat

No, it's co-located with the email server the BOFH's company was using, in the craphouse of a minicab office in Cairo.

2. Phukov Andigh Bronze badge

dangerous game they play

people who travel out of their country for facial work, might be the types of people who don't call lawyers when they are blackmailed.

at best, they ARE the lawyers. At worst, employees of nations that do not wish anyone to know they exist. And in the middle, people who call Saul...

Wonder if the "they're actually Russian spies!" narrative would change if it turns out this group was blackmailing or threatening to "out" Russian intelligence assets.

Mine's the one with the wooden ice bucket for headgear and a notorious colored diamond

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

A list of proud new owners of Bulgarian airbags? I can hardly wait.

Pics please.

1. Sir Sham Cad

Lithuanian airbags. I have no idea of the comparison of quality of the fake jubbage with Bulgarian ones.

That's got to be worth a research grant! Guranteed an IgNobel

4. John Lawton

Headline opportunity

Surely you missed a headline opportunity here: Clinic security goes tits-up ?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why did they have that data?

Nude photos, passport scans and national insurance numbers

OK, I can sort of understand the nude pics if the required work was of that nature (but even then I would have questioned the extend of it), but passport scans and NI data? For what, catching the criminal fraternity? It appears it has rather helped them..

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Re: Why did they have that data?

Nude pics are standard. Basically covering themselves in case you sue them for a problem you already had, so you can't say "well I never had this big scar before I want a million Euros compensation and you to fix it" they can pull out a photo and go "yes but we took this before we started and you can clearly see that scar, so sorry mate, nice try but not gonna happen."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

I'm sure they had nothing to hide...

Yes, the title is a bit of a troll, but think about it. This is exactly the kind of example why "I got nothing to hide" is utter bollocks. It's not about whether you have or haven't got something to hide, the real issue is how the obtained information is going to be (mis)used.

Many people seem to somehow overlook that very important detail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sure they had nothing to hide...

Indeed ... was it Cory Doctorow who first said that it wasnt a secret what he was doing in the bathroom stall, but that didn't mean he was going to leave the door open

7. Your alien overlord - fear me

It costs alot of money to keep criminal gangs plied with heroin and hookers. And the cost to keep the local police stuffed with donuts so they look the other way.

8. Sengir

Meanwhile in Denmark

In Denmark a few of the "high-profile" targets went to the papers and released the photos as a big F U to the hackers trying to blackmail them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like