back to article 64-bit malware threat may be itty-bitty now, but it's only set to grow

The volume of 64-bit malware in the wild remains low even though computers running 64-bit operating systems became ubiquitous years ago. The vast majority (93 per cent) of new computers sold worldwide operate on 64-bit Windows but most nasties were written to infect 32-bit systems, according to a new study by security firm …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So I just keep running 32-bit XP, right?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't be ridiculous, you should be running CPM or OS2!

2. hellwig

Obviously...

The solution is 65-bit computers.

Just put my check in the mail. Thanks.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Obviously...

Sadly I think the virus writers will just byte back with a new version

2. UncleNick

Re: Obviously...

It's probably better putting it in the code...

if OS.env.bits > 64 then dont_run_malware();

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That answers a question

One of the striking things about an anti-malware course I did three years ago was that it completely ignored 64-bit environments.

I think I now know why.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Linux and macOS systems are also potentially at risk"

Yes, objectively they are.

However, those being systems built on a strong foundation that includes security from the get-go, I seriously doubt that they will be submitted to the same havoc Windows systems have been in the past.

Of course, there is no defense against a user who knows the root password and blindly clicks YES on everything . . .

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"no defense against a user who knows the root password and blindly clicks YES on everything"

Or the core business application that cannot run as anything else.

6. njtrout

Older research on this issue

I recommend that you go back (way back) to research done by Sarah Gordon on why early on viruses only appeared on DOS machine and not Windows machines. The Wired article is pretty good as are her other papers.

Check her Wikipedia page for the references; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Gordon

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like