back to article HPE kills off its entire OpenSDN line, pulls plug on customer demos

Hewlett Packard Enterprise has quietly axed its OpenSDN suite, effective immediately. Its sales staff have been instructed to shut down customer demos and proof-of-concept installations. IT buyers will be told to try other gear if they want to evaluate and roll out software-defined networking. HPE workers have also been …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HPE or DXC ?

1. IHateWearingATie

HPE

DXC are the bastard offspring of CSC and the consulting bit of HPE

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like

Someone didn't read all the way to the bottom.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Looks like

What, the bit that suggests a replacement which doesn't do the same is available from a partner (i.e. not themselves)?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps the could not find enough

cheapo developers in India that understood even half what SDN is all about to make anything but basic bits work?

India might be a big country but there are a finite number of people with skills needed to work on this stuff.

There are plenty in other parts of the world but the 'new' (sic) HP won't go there to get anything useful done.

I feel sad that HP has gone this way after spending a good part of my career there when it was actually a fun place to work and you didn't have to keep on training your 'nodding donkey' replacements.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps the could not find enough

>......when it was actually a fun place to work

We must've worked there at the same time, when HP had respect throughout the industry. Bearing in mind that the 'fun place to work' existed pre-1990 when Bill and Dave were still ruling the roost you have to realise that the good times were more than a generation ago.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amused, another disloyal corporation outed by an annoyed employee!

All they had to do was say they'd publish a statement at a later specified date and do it, not try and keep huge stuff like this a secret.

Damage control = public relations = propaganda = dishonest; just be honest!

When secure anonymous leaking facilities exist, it doesn't matter what some fracking dictatorial employment contract, NDA or other document says. What really works is employing decent people and keeping them happy, including by not behaving like an incompetent, r-type or psychopath.

1. GuildenNL

So true. But HPE is filled with "nodding donkeys" these days whose mantra of "what is this any key I keep telling people to be pressing?" belies the end of a former great company.

5. Etherealmind

This is not surprising given the level of engagement from telcos/sp with ONOS, CORD, etc which are all based on OpenDaylight as the controller. The big telcos have been clear that they will not pay licensing fees and be trapped into a platform play by the networking vendors.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ricochet

Thanks for mentioning Ricochet, looks interesting.

The clear warning on its GitHub repo is a bit worrying:

This software is an experiment. It hasn't been audited or formally reviewed by anyone. [...] Do not rely on Ricochet for your safety unless you have more trust in my work than it deserves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like