back to article What is dead may never die – how to get a post-BlackBerry BlackBerry

BlackBerry Mobile has begun shipping its first post-BlackBerry phone in the UK today, although fans will need to cross their fingers and pop into Selfridges' Oxford Street store in London to find one. The KEYone was first shown at CES in January before a formal launch at MWC in Barcelona in March. Selfridges have exclusivity …

1. James 51
    Gimp

Still have my trusty Q10. Have to admit, a Priv does look tempting but the keyboard on this looks closer to what I am use to.

1. wheelybird

The Priv keyboard is very fiddly compared to the Passport. Other than that it's quite a decent phone.

2. Kevin Johnston

I have a Q10 too but it is getting a little tatty and this may be the replacement. With regards to comments below about the keyboard, I am sure I am not the only person that finds the lack of feedback on a virtual keyboard makes typing a real pain

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Joke

Blackberry Logo

I hope they don't use a silhouette of a Blackberry as a logo. Apple won't be happy.

1. seven of five

Re: Blackberry Logo

A Blackberry can never be mistaken for an iToy: Way too many buttons :)

3. Sir Sham Cad

Re: a unique offering

There's a good reason nothing out there looks like that.

I understand the appeal of a physical keyboard, I loved the slide-out keyboard of the HTC desire Z even if it did turn the handset into a hefty hector, and I understand people, like James 51 above, are used to the blackberry keyboard. But this is not a BES-connected device it's a consumer (prosumer?) android handset and it's fugly and short on screen space even when you're not using the keyboard. Very limited appeal IMO.

1. nobodyloopback

Re: a unique offering

Agreed,

The OS and the features cant be compared to the former "blackberry solution".

Blackberry OS5 and BES (I run my own server) is a combination which still has no rivals.

I would like to upgrade my phone, but regardless of keyboard or not, I could not live without the features, and the lightweight (130g) hardware of the 9700.

I might buy the keyone just because of the keyboard, but it never will make it my primary phone.

4. djstardust

Ha ha

"We plan to disrupt the market with a unique offering,"

Sounds a bit like the Liberal Democrats for the upcoming election. I guess Blackberry will have about the same success.

5. M7S

24 months of guaranteed updates

To be clear, is that 24 months from launch, or from the date a particular handset is purchased?

Then if it's the latter, do earlier purchases get extended benefit or do they need to pay a subscription after 24 months?

Much easier to say that updates are guaranteed until at least a certain date, at least for the purchaser. This can always be extended if the model proves popular and long lived.

6. earl grey
    Devil

What is dead may never die

Thank Cthulhu for that.

7. -tim
    FAIL

New Q10?

My old Q10 died and my spare went into service. What will I do when it dies?

1. Jonathan 27

Re: New Q10?

Try something different and be surprised that it took you so long to ditch the Blackberry. The other 99% of Blackberry's users are on to something you know.

1. James 51

I haven't seen another phone with a keyboard and a removeable battery. Q10 has both and a microsd slot. BB10 is a bonus (I know it isn't being developered any more but I still find it eaiser to use than Android).

2. James 51

Amazon a still selling 'new' Q10s. Then there's stuff like CEX. If the keyboard and screen are in good condition you can replace the battery.

3. therealmav

Well you could spend like 2s on amazon and buy another. Or a 9700, or a classic

8. Jonathan 27

If BlackBerry hadn't stashed away a mound of cash when they were flying high they would have gone into receivership years ago.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£499 doomed to fail.

£250 they might get somewhere.

BlackBerry Hub app on my Android phone is fantastic though.

10. NeilPost

BlackBerry promises 24 months of guaranteed monthly security updates with the device

"BlackBerry promises 24 months of guaranteed monthly security updates with the device" - WTF is this supposed to mean ... or is it an admission about the perception core Android walks away from handset hardware quicker than IOS and WinMo.

11. fowljr

Dare to be different?

The KeyOne is at least something different in a sea of black slabs...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like