back to article Oculus Drift: VR gaming boss out at Facebook

Oculus founder Palmer Luckey is stepping down from his position at parent company Facebook. The House of Zuck confirmed this week that Luckey, who had been serving as head of Oculus under Facebook, would be leaving today. Facebook acquired Oculus for $2bn in 2014. "Palmer will be dearly missed. Palmer's legacy extends far …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"While Luckey's future is yet to be determined, it has been pointed out that Uber, a company whose libertarian leanings closely resemble his own, is seeking a COO."

Oh good. Turning Uber into an entirely virtual operation would solve a lot of problems in one go.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"his company was "about to change the world.""

Well it certainly changed his bank balance.

Time will tell if Oculus turns out to be world changing hardware that totally alters the user experience paradigm* or if it was effectively a corporate pump-and-dump scheme that FB fell for (the fact they had to buy in the tech from someone else does look a tad suspicious)

And is it just me or does that shot of the Time front cover have anyone else thinking "Hmm, so that's what Cartman looks like when he's grown up."

*That should be good for bonus points on the BS Bingo card.

4. The Nazz

Meanwhile ...

we are led to believe by the experts (yeah!) that hundreds of thousands of teenagers,(upto 20-25% of em), are developing mental illnesses as they struggle to cope with the virtual/virtuous reality that is otherwise called daily life.

5. ro55mo
    Trollface

In other news...

This might also have something to do with the "nimblerichman" episode on Reddit around the time of the US election.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Pretty cool

I'm now officially a "forum troll", eh?

Can't have an opinion that doesn't fully mesh with forum mods that have the mind of 12 year olds?

Nice one, El Reg. Nice one.

1. JudeKay (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Pretty cool

April Fool's!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pretty cool

Join the only group that understands how controlled the comments are on this site.

Using political and other various personal reasons to limit a persons career shows that companies need far more regulation than they have now.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Big Brother

"Join the only group that understands how controlled the comments are on this site."

I've had a few comments deleted by moderators for various reasons.

However in all cases they are still visible to me.

Contrast that with more heavily moderated sites where the mods are much more forward about expressing their views and comments will be deleted from your personal account, making it more like the Minstry of Truth.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virtual Reality....

...is this the 3rd or 4th time the hype never matched reality (excuse the pun)? I've lost track.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like