back to article Google bulges old time news archive

Google is redoubling efforts to offer a digital archive of the world's newspapers. Two years ago, the search giant began indexing the existing digital archives of papers like The New York Times and The Washington Post, and today, with a post to The Official Google Blog, the company said it's now working with other publishers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. david Silver badge

Black hole of Google

Most of the pre-2000 usenet history (internet news groups)has disappeared from the Google indexes (Google got the only online copy of this history when Deja Vu went belly up). If their treatment of this new 'old time news archive' is as good, it's gone forever.

2. Mark Graybill
    Thumb Down

All Tease, No Show

My search turned up one on-topic full article in the first 3 pages. All other on-topic hits (about 9) were short teases with a requirement to pony up money to see complete articles.

Another waste of time for content hidden behind a cashier. The dead tree media (emphasis on dead) still hasn't figured this one out.

3. David Shepherd
    Unhappy

@david

you sure ... I just had a look and found they've got several thousand(!) of my USENET postings all the way back to 1989. Hmmm, that's a bit scary!

(BTW, when are the Reg going to offer their "comments" archive to Google)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<no title>

OK. Let me know when I can browse the old UK papers for free.

5. PT

Indexing?

Interesting. A Google search yesterday turned up an allegedly current newspaper article that United Airlines had filed for bankruptcy, and wiped out their stock price. Turned out the article was originally published by a different newspaper in 2002.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like