back to article Robo-Uber T-boned, rolls onto side, self-driving rides halted

Uber's taken its nascent fleet of self-driving cars off the road after one rolled in an accident. As shown in the Tweets below, an autonomous Uber Volvo found itself in an untenable position. Police in Tempe, Arizona, where the crash occurred say the Uber-mobile was struck by a car that failed to yield. Uber-mobile t-boned, …

1. JonW
    WTF?

Bizarre response

Pull the fleet? Why?! From this incident, Uber doesn't seem to have done anything wrong.

Are they being super-paranoid about accidents and over-regulation, or using this as an excuse for something else? If the former, I don't welcome the day when my self-driving car won't take me to the station because the fleet's "Grounded" because someone in LA had a prang.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bizarre response

Probably the deal they made with the state to allow the cars on the road at all required taking them down in the event of any accident until a full investigation is complete. That's entirely reasonable at this early stage.

Even if they didn't have to, given all the negative press they've had in the past couple months, they would probably prefer to show they are willing to err on the side of caution.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Indeed. It is high time that Uber show it can do something right.

1. Spudley

Indeed. It is high time that Uber show it can do something right.

We're way past that point. Their reputation is now in such a state that even if they do do something right, our reaction is to assume they were forced to do it or are trying to save face.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dont forget, when a miltary plane has an unexpected ground air interface (crashes), that type of plane is grounded until its deemed safe to use it again

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. 's water music

Maybe the configuration of extra kit inside has raised the centre of gravity, and someone finally realised this isn't a good thing.

It's an SUV. Those things roll over if you give them a hard stare

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Pull the fleet? Why?! From this incident, Uber doesn't seem to have done anything wrong."

Maybe they pulled them before the city realises they should never have been on the road in the first place.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pull the fleet? Why?! From this incident, Uber doesn't seem to have done anything wrong.

I suspect they need to work on the question "WTF are we going to do when other users do NOT follow the rules?". We don't know from our desks what happened, but the trial cars record everything and I suspect Uber may have discovered that the car may have had enough data to predict a problem at a point where it was still possible to avoid it, but had no exception handling programmed to correctly act on that data.

That's the difference between self-drive and even a moderately talented driver at the wheel: the latter is more likely to notice someone making a mistake (read: NOT following the pre-programmed routine) and react accordingly, out of sheer self preservation..

1. TRT Silver badge

Accidentally inserted the DVD-ROM for Simpson's Road Rage instead of Über-drive v0.8.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll give

self driving cars 18 months before its back to the drawing board...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll give

Why?

2. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

I'll give self driving cars 18 months before its back to the drawing board...

I don't see why. So far there does not seem to be evidence that self-drive cars perform worse than human drivers in the same circumstances, though I am sure there will always be those who cling to the notion that 'if a human had been driving it wouldn't have happened'.

It's reasonable and responsible to take the fleet off the road while that's checked out, but I am not convinced the self-drive was worse than a human here. Sure; drop a gear and accelerate away, steer onto the sidewalk; all imagined escape plans a human could conjure up which a self-drive will be accused of not having the wits to do. But, in reality; success of such escape plans is down mostly to luck and whether one even sees it coming.

1. VanguardG

A short browsing of YouTube reveals a vast range of human drivers in various countries all around the world doing some very dimwitted things behind the wheel of a car. It will take a whole lot of doing for self-driving cars to match the capacity of human drivers to do something dumb. This is only newsworthy, if it is, because the not-at-fault car was being operated by a computer. I would understand if the self-drive car was at fault, but the way these get covered, one of these cars could be parking in a parking lot, idle, some idiot could hit the parked car, and someone would still demand the whole fleet be taken of the road (and, ironically, parked in a parking lot) until its determined the self-drive wasn't at fault.

1. Charles 9

"A short browsing of YouTube reveals a vast range of human drivers in various countries all around the world doing some very dimwitted things behind the wheel of a car."

I ALSO hear stories of drivers who act out of reflex, and because of it avoid an accident. They don't even know HOW or WHY they did it, indicating they acted SUBconsciously, intuitively. It's hard to teach intuition because we don't even KNOW how our intuition works: it all works reflexively, without our conscious thought.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'll give self driving cars 18 months before its back to the drawing board...

No, no, that's Google. Uber's cars generally drive a lot quicker :)

3. spider from mars

Learning to deal with shitty drivers

Is part of learning to drive.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Learning to deal with shitty drivers

for human drivers and for robots!

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Devil

You start by identifying the badge on the bonnet / boot and making assumptions about the driver from there.

1. spider from mars

There's even scientific evidence to back it up:

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/the-rich-drive-differently-a-study-suggests/?_r=3

2. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Also what the driver is wearing, baseball caps, hoodies, and earphones all put me on alert as well.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You start by identifying the badge on the bonnet / boot and making assumptions about the driver from there.

Nope. That would mislead you into considering some drivers benign and/or competent, which is a major mistake. As a matter of fact, a really GOOD driver doesn't even consider himself infallible and thus leave a bit more margin for error. I've tried the badge profiling thing for a bit, but it's as reliable as US customs passenger profiling: not at all.

Secondly, I always get out of the way of people that want to go really fast. Not only could they have an emergency that I'm unaware of, but it also makes for less stress and it's better to have people like that in front where you can see them then behind you which requires you to take your eyes off the traffic to check. I'm not exactly a slow driver, but I generally stick to the speed limit because that's more relaxing than having to watch out for policemen and speed cameras (I love cruise control :) ).

1. Charles 9

"Not only could they have an emergency that I'm unaware of, but it also makes for less stress and it's better to have people like that in front where you can see them then behind you which requires you to take your eyes off the traffic to check."

In the US, there's a more practical reason, too. We call it "letting the rabbit run." Letting a speeder pass means it's the car the cops spot first (and will subsequently stop), meaning you can play looser. I've also heard rumors of trucking convoys employing a "rabbit" car at the head of the convoy that lets the whole convoy drive faster, figuring if the cops act, it'll be on the rabbit, and the time they save is worth more than the speeding ticket.

4. Mark 85

That would only work in the UK. The US doesn't have those particular items.

1. Charles 9

Plus the minimum margin of safety is greater than the maximum margin before someone cuts you. You need at least two car lengths, yet you'll be cut at only one car length.

3. abedarts

It sounds like the driver that 'refused to yield' deliberately took the autonomous car out. I think we can expect to see some more of this from people who will probably lose their driving jobs to robots.

1. WonkoTheSane

Possible off-duty cabbie, you think?

2. Roland6 Silver badge

From the picture, I wonder if the driver that "refused to yield" had been faced with a variant of the Trolley Problem: Do I hit the car with a driver or the one without a driver?

4. drand

SRIMECH

Have they learned nothing from Robot Wars? These things need a self-righting mechanism. Then when it's flipped over it can push the offending car into a conveniently located pit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SRIMECH

Only if mine can have a big spinning lump of metal on the front.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Watch out for Matilda!

3. Charles 9

I always preferred bots that didn't need SRM's...because they could still operate upside-down.

5. Simon Harris

"beyond the bounds of the reasonably predictable"

Presumably incidents like this are learning experiences and there will be teams of drivers on their test roads trying to launch themselves into the sides of autonomous Ubers to make the unpredictable more predictable and improve avoidance strategies.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: "beyond the bounds of the reasonably predictable"

I'm not sure the Uber car could have avoided it. From what I've read the Uber was in one of the three lanes heading south, my guess is the far right lane and with that I will continue to present one possible scenario.

The person turning left which hit the Uber may have had their view partially blocked by another car, possibly the Ford SUV in the photo, in a lane adjacent to the Uber car and was trying to get across quickly perhaps because the gap in traffic was small. Once that car has gunned it to sprint through the left turn the Uber car gets t-boned toward the back end which sets it spinning, impacting the curb on the far side of the intersection sideways which tips it on it's side and it continues to rotate until it comes to a stop against the Ford SUV.

In such an event, the Uber car would also likely be blinded by the adjacent vehicle, assuming it was tall like the Ford, and unable to detect the impending impact until there was little if any time for it to calculate and react. Of course that's just one possibility.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "beyond the bounds of the reasonably predictable"

I'm not sure the Uber car could have avoided it. From what I've read the Uber was in one of the three lanes heading south, my guess is the far right lane and with that I will continue to present one possible scenario.

The important question (for which answers are conspicuously absent due to a dearth of facts on the incident) is if this was an accident that a human driver would have been able to avoid due to a healthy lack of belief in the competence of other drivers. Any advanced driving course coaches participants to run excessive "what-if" scenarios for all drivers, exactly because anyone can make a mistake.

The purpose of these test drives is partially to test, but it's more to clock up "xxx miles without an accident" mileage because the concept still has to be accepted in public. If the accident video shows a combination of factors which an average driver would have recognised as potential risk it weakens the argument for mixing self drive with human drivers.

6. Andrew Moore

Pattern emerging...

2 previous autonomous vehicle accidents were also the result of the human occupied vehicle forcing a bad move and hoping that the self preservation of the driver of the other vehicle would allow them to get away with it. Downside is all the autonomous vehicles do not appear to have human-level self preservation built in. On the plus side, get enough of these vehicles on the road and it'll make the arseholes think twice before barging across 3 lanes of traffic or turning suddenly without indicators...

1. tony
      Happy

Re: Pattern emerging...

It would be interesting data to see the amount of near hits where the autonomous vehicle took self preservation actions where somebody tried a chicken manoeuvre.

7. phuzz Silver badge
    Go

Ok, bad publicity for Uber and other self driving cars, but once again Volvo show that in an accident, you want to be inside the Volvo.

Look at it, barely a scratch!

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Friend of my girlfriend had a Volvo XC90 drive head on in to her. She was in a Daewoo Matiz (so quite the size difference). They were doing 20mph, the other driver about the same. The Volvo driver was more interested in a house for sale than in the direction of her vehicle.

The front of the Daewoo was flat. The front of the car push down like a giant stepped on it. There was nothing wrong with the Volvo. I think it had a scuff on the bumper, but while the Daewoo had to be towed back to the friends house, the Volvo was driven off like nothing happened.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Last week my car was written off by somebody rear-ending me while I was waiting at the entrance to a roundabout waiting for the roundabout to be clear for me to set off. Not sure what I can learn from it. I've already trained myself into the habit of holding on the footbrake if there is nobody behind me so my brake lights are on. Sh*t happens, and self-drive developers will discover exactly the same.

Amazingly, the other car was unscratched and was able to drive off after checks. With mine the rear wheel was crushed into the car structure stopping the car from moving.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only one solution

Ban all the meat-drivers!

10. Getmo
    Megaphone

Tempe, AZ

You're telling me self-driving Uber's have been in my town this whole time, after I just finished using the service all weekend??

Quick, how does one sign up to 'beta-test' these rides? Getting T-boned is completely worth it IMO, I've been dying to see this tech in action.

11. Lotaresco

Latest news

Uber robot claims accident caused by fatigue after being bullied by Uber management into working long shifts without rest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like