back to article In 2012 China vowed 'OpenStack will smash the monopoly of western cloud providers!'

Tristan Goode recalls that at the first OpenStack conference in China, in 2012, the deputy director of nation's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology Software and Integrated Circuit Promotion opened his speech by saying “OpenStack will smash the monopoly of the western cloud providers!” And as if to prove the point …

1. frank ly

“OpenStack will smash the monopoly of the western cloud providers!”

Do you think anyone from H3C or Huawei was brave enough to tell him it was developed by Rackspace Hosting and NASA, those arch-capitalist running dogs.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. WibbleMe

Let me explain, its physics if you data centre is in China and mine is in the UK. Some one using a website hosted in my data centre is going to get that website page a lot faster.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not really. If you're using a piss poor connection to a piss poor server, then that bit fat pipe to a big fat server is going to win.

3. GrumpyOF

Huawei need to do something radical

Experiences with FusionSphere show that there is a huge amount of effort required to turn it into a viable solution for dev and test, forget production.

Huawei's ability to support FusionSphere is basically non-existent on our continent. (simila to their ability to support OceanStor etc).

4. GrumpyOF

Huawei need to do something radical

Experiences with FusionSphere show that there is a huge amount of effort required to turn it into a viable solution for dev and test, forget production.

Huawei's ability to support FusionSphere is basically non-existent on our continent. (similar to their ability to support OceanStor etc).

5. randybias

You gotta be kidding me.

I will absolutely vote against it. How much and how do you want to do this?

6. IanW

Huawei doing impressive things. They even have their Red Hat based Linux distribution (EulerOS) certified under the UNIX03 Certification at the Open Group. See: https://blog.opengroup.org/2017/02/14/do-one-thing-and-do-it-well/

7. cloudguy

OpenStack will not "smash" western cloud providers

Well, it was probably a hope sometime early on in OpenStack's development that it would emerge to challenge public cloud services from AWS, Google, and Microsoft. The efforts of Cisco, HPE, and Rackspace to use OpenStack to compete with the oligopoly of "western" public cloud computing providers appears to have failed. In the public cloud computing market, there is little chance that anyone will be able to harness OpenStack to compete with AWS, Google, and Microsoft at scale. OpenStack may have a future as a private managed cloud service from providers like ZeroStack and Platform9 or from one-off builders of private clouds like Red Hat or SUSE. The lingering question is will OpenStack be able to keep pace with the service capabilities of AWS, Google, and Microsoft?

8. JohnMartin

Beware of "western" centric world views when analysing china

- Disclaimer I work for NetApp, Opinions are my own -

I visit china as part of my job, and the speed with which they do things at massive scale is, to put it mildly, rather impressive. More to the point, a lot of the IT services and infrastructure and stuff isn't targeted at Europe or the USA. For example, many of the readers here probably haven't heard of, or at least understand the scale and impact of applications and companies like WeChat, Ctrip, Aliyun, or UnionPay. All of these are HUGE enterprises (e.g. Union Pay does more payment transactions than Visa), and their targets aren't in the overserviced, hypercompetetive markets in the USA and Europe but into the developing economies where more than 2/3rds of the world's population live, and where most of the world new demand is being created. Very few of those new global megacorps are investing heavily in GCAmazurelayerEngine ..a lot of them are using Chinese cloud providers like Aliyun or their own openstack / large scale IT automation infrastructures based on FOSS and internal development. While a lot of that is pretty much invisible to most native English speakers, from my point of view Chinese based openstack enabled corporations have already pre-emptively "busted" the western cloud monopolies in the developing economies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like