back to article Signature Trump policy - H-1B visa reform - looks to be on the back burner

United States president Donald Trump appears to have gone slow on his campaign pledge to reform H-1B visas, the category of working visa that tech firms often use to bring skilled workers to America. Trump's immigration policy (PDF) called for the minimum wage payable to H-1B visa holders to be raised to a level comparable to …

1. James 51

It won't force companies to hire American. The threat of withdrawing visa support and other cutural factors might still be seen as good ways to control visa workers even if they are paid the same.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump. Nothing he says comes true.

Commander in Chief? More like Clown in Charge.

The rest of the world is laughing up its sleeve at the US.

1. noh1bvisas

Re: Trump. Nothing he says comes true.

go to your safe space (and stay there)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And how is that different from just about any Politician?

Lies, damn lies and whatever comes out of a Politician's mouth...

1. martinusher Silver badge

>And how is that different from just about any Politician?

Probably one of degree. Politicians tend to have policy eyes that are bigger than their real-world bellies but typically they have some clue about what they're proposing. Trump is demonstrating not only utter cluelessness but an unwillingness to learn anything.

One of the oldest political tricks in the book is to push the idea that "they're all the same" so you don't bother supporting anything. The result is a tyranny of a minority -- power is power, even if it is ridiculous.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Probably one of degree."

And a lie is still a lie.

2. Chemical Bob

"whatever comes out of a Politician's mouth..."

That isn't a mouth.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"risk the ire of those individuals and employers who apply"

I have not noticed the orange orangutan giving a flying f*** about the ire of anyone except acting president Breitbart.

4. noh1bvisas

wait for it. so far, trump has done everything he said he would.

1. H in The Hague

"so far, trump has done everything he said he would."

Now I wouldn't claim to be fully familiar with American politics, but I do seem to remember that candidate Trump promised to publish his tax return, eventually. So far I don't think he has (his return being audited has does not stop him from publishing it). I wonder why.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Now I wouldn't claim to be fully familiar with American politics,..."

Right! Quite Right! Now STFU!

2. James 51

Name one thing? Sure he has put people in place to burn the EPA and the Department of Education to the ground but they are just checking they have enough kindling to get the job done. The wall is going to be a fence which Mexican politicians can climb over with a ladder. He has bribed a few firms to not off shore production but he can't bribe everyone to do the same. The obvious racism and sectarianism of his original travel ban mean every one which follows it will be objected to on the same grounds. Until the things he said weren't to the public but to someone else?

1. martinusher Silver badge

>The wall is going to be a fence...

Partially paid for by cuts to the Coasguard. Go figure.

5. Mark 85

I believe the Repubs and their supporters (lobbyists) are somehow behind this. Follow the money. It's to their advantage that the reforms don't happen. I'm just not seeing much that doesn't benefit the corporates at this point.

If you're going to DV me, at least tell me what's been done so far NOT in a corporate interest because I'm not seeing it in any news from any source.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is equally to the advantage of democrats that the reforms don't happen. Both parties have had ample chance to change the way H1Bs work, but have declined to do so. Trump isn't king, despite what he thinks, and can't unilaterally change stuff like that without congress.

So far he seems to be mostly working on stuff that he can do, or thinks he can do, without their help via executive orders. Now that he's taking on health care, he's going to find himself quickly sunk in the swamp and lose whatever political capital he had, just like happened to Obama eight years ago. But of course "no one knew how complicated health care was", according to the orange buffoon!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like