back to article Redmond's on fire, your 365 is terrified: Microsoft email outage en masse

Some unknowable terror has struck at the heart of the 21st century's communications infrastructure, as complaints mount regarding the global unavailability of Microsoft services, including email and authentication. Has the cyberwar with the aliens begun? We're not sure. All we know at this early stage of the terrible and …

1. Peter2 Silver badge
    Coat

Microsoft was unable to immediately respond to our enquiries. We will update this article when its spokespeople get back to us. ®

You emailed them for a comment?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

We will update this article when its spokespeople spokeslizard get back to us.

Fixed it for you...

2. tr1ck5t3r
      Trollface

The sock puppet bots using hotmail accounts to blend in online & spread their propaganda wont be complaining just yet until their operators have installed new algo's to complain on twitter.

2. J P
    Coat

"Microsoft was unable to immediately respond to our enquiries."

Did you email them by any chance?

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

your 365 is terrified

Aren't we down to 360 by now?

Don't shoot the messenger, they set themselves up for that one.

1. Nolveys
      Trollface

Re: your 365 is terrified

Aren't we down to 360 by now?

I'd like to think that their customers are at 180.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

Does Office 365 run on AWS by any chance?

1. Anonymous Coward
  5. Paul Crawford Silver badge

IMAP access to MS-provided email is still Ok in my backwater of the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can confirm this behaviour also.

Just sent a test email from my O365 mail to Outlook mail and all works, caveat - this was using thunderbird and IMAP.

2. P. Lee

Shocked!

Simple protocol for mail syncing works. Document rendering is munged into a massively complex application platform and fails.

Who'd a thunk it?

I know, let's make a messaging system from Adobe PDF and Flash!

6. WibbleMe

DId the SSL expire again?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Applied their own patches.

7. WibbleMe

Did the SSL cert expire again?

1. uncommon_sense
      Happy

Maybe AI vs NI..

Are all the affected Twatterers?

Maybe Hotmail now employs AI, and it has accidentally developed real TASTE!

8. wolfetone Silver badge
    Thumb Up

My 365 isn't terrified

Because it's still working.

How do I know? Well some nice chap from Nigeria is asking me to help him with his dead uncle's fortune, and I've a client moaning about the price I've quoted for a massive change in the system.

So, actually Microsoft, if you could make 365 go down properly for a few hours - like a full day - that'd be great.

1. Kiwi
      Trollface

Re: My 365 isn't terrified

So, actually Microsoft, if you could make 365 go down properly

So what you're saying is... Even when MS screw up, they do a piss-poor job and screw up the screw up?

9. frank ly

Webmail seems ok

I just logged into my Hotmail/Outlook webmail and read my Junk mail with no problems. (Yes, webmail - I've had it for many years and I enjoy the retro feel.)

10. Grumpyrocker

Xbox Live too

Seems to be a very wide ranging problem for Microsoft. It's not just email - but also Skype, OneDrive and I can't sign into Xbox Live either.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Xbox Live too

So it's win-win then -> see icon :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

also Skype, OneDrive and I can't sign into Xbox Live either.

So why are you still here & not down the pub?

1. Grumpyrocker

I also have a PlayStation 4

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
          Trollface

And this is why IBM wants their staff to stop working from home.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

AV?

The O365 "security" checker is some sort of javascript thingie as far as I can tell.

I haven't got to the bottom of it yet but disabling on access scanning does allow the authentication (for me) to happen and then you turn it back on again. Otherwise I get the account not found message.

12. raving angry loony

Told you so

Any time someone tells me that they want to put some software "online" because it's "better", and that software has a local, offline, equivalent, I tell them to go fuck themselves and find an alternative that isn't so idiotic.

Because if I can't access tools that I use every day, I want it to be MY fault and something I can fix, not the fault of any of dozens of possible culprits who will all shout that it wasn't their fault while my business can't do any work.

1. RudderLessIT

Re: Told you so

"I tell them to go fuck themselves and find an alternative that isn't so idiotic" So I am guessing you're an admin - because that approach will preclude you from being responsible for more than system availability. Or you run a very small company and ... yeah, probably not

The fact is, this outage is for the free email service, not 365, so this issue is not related to enterprise.

Another fact is, after 4 years running 365, the only outage I have experienced was ultimately a network failure.

One last point: according to BetaNews, there are 24.9 million users of 365 and Google have 3 million G Suite users, so are all of them wrong?

1. raving angry loony

Re: Told you so

"so are all of them wrong?"

Quantity doesn't mean they're right. Anyone who complains that an online service is down (in this case I presume it means they can't read archived emails) means they're using the wrong tool and should have been using an "offline" email reader in the first place. So every single one of those people who complained is wrong, yes. Those who didn't complain (or didn't notice) were probably using the right tool for what THEY need. In which case no, those people were not wrong.

Email, however, is a special case since it is by definition "online" - as in you can't GET email if you're not "online" (pedantic exceptions left as an exercise to the pedants...). So sending/receiving emails wasn't covered by my statement, as I note in the disclaimer "and that software has a local, offline, equivalent,". Trying to read previously received emails? I stand by my statement. I don't care if the service is "free" - there's ALWAYS a cost involved.

13. Dave 15

Cloud anyone?

How I marvel that people still think that putting all their companies stuff onto someone elses server is a great idea. I am sure NSA think its wonderful so they can make sure you aren't able to compete with the yanks but

14. CCCP

Funnily enough LI had log in problems too

Seems MS had some mother of a problem deep in the back end. But have they taken over LI authentication already?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Windows

Re: Funnily enough LI had log in problems too

MIcrosoft associated with pain deep in.the back-end? Say it ain't so, Joe!

15. Dan McIntyre

My MS accounts (Hotmail and One Drive) have both been working fine all day.

16. Steven 1
    Windows

Mrs Live Account

Mrs freetard Live account is screwed but the office corporate subscription seems fine and dandy... still Cloud - whatever....

Oh how I yearn for the day of eseutil and isinteg...

*sigh*

:(

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know, Spring comes in the northern emisphere....

... and cloud evaporates...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Maybe Office 365....

...forgot there is actually 365 1/4 days in a year. Instead of going down for a full day every 4, they simply have a rest for 6 hours once a year.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First noticed about 2pm ...

My wifes iPad starting asking for the Outlook password, which it ignores.

I was able to log in via a browser, but trying to access the "Security" options hit a glitch.

20. andrewj

Our university switched over to this pile of crap about a year back, from maintaining their own email servers. I sure hope the savings were huge, because so was the decrease in quality of service.

21. Tony S

Had a discussion with a company about the wisdom of using O365. They very angrily told me that it was the better choice, would save money, provide more up time etc. etc. Then they showed me the door.

Just had a panicked phone call from one of their managers, asking if I can help them out, as they have been without email for several hours, and they don't know what to do. I politely suggested that it ain't my problem!

Schadenfreude; gives me a warm tingly glow!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Had a discussion with a company about the wisdom of using O365. They very angrily told me that it was the better choice, would save money, provide more up time etc. etc. Then they showed me the door.

If your company is in the EU it may be worth knowing that (as far as I can tell from some test messages) the Office365 things appears not to be entirely EU privacy compliant. In other words, you may want to point them at the incoming fines under GDPR: the fine for failure ought to comfortably remove any savings they made..

1. TheVogon

"If your company is in the EU it may be worth knowing that (as far as I can tell from some test messages) the Office365 things appears not to be entirely EU privacy compliant. "

Office 365 is EU regulation compliant. GDPR doesn't take effect until 2018.

2. TheVogon

"Just had a panicked phone call from one of their managers, asking if I can help them out, as they have been without email for several hours, and they don't know what to do. I politely suggested that it ain't my problem!"

There are no issues with Office 365 - It's with Outlook.com, etc.

22. Florida1920
    Childcatcher

The coffee machine broke, too

Bad day in Redmond.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Your man?

"The normally reliable Microsoft......" anything, is not a valid start to any sentence ever, especially for someone who considers themselves informed about tech.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Your man?

I think it was supposed to be "unreliable" or "the reliably unreliable"

24. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

We're talking about Microsft here...

So have you considered that the aliens are doing this to HELP benighted MS 365 users?

(At last, signs of intelligent life in the cosmos!)

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: We're talking about Microsft here...

Maybe the aliens view O365 as a potential war crime?

25. Mark 85

MS keeps moving towards the no-tell hotel...

Following the secretiveness of their OS and patches, I note that the article update states MS has "resolved" the issue without stating what the problem was or how it was fixed, unlike others (AWS, etc.). It must be the new openness concept... you get info on a need to know basis and only if all forms are filled out in triplicate and vetted by 14 other people to be named.

1. Hans 1

Re: MS keeps moving towards the no-tell hotel...

I note that the article update states MS has "resolved" the issue without stating what the problem was or how it was fixed, unlike others (AWS, etc.).

That would mean they admit guilt, and this certainly was something as silly as an expired cert or something, you know, the yearly outage ... although I am surprised, the certs problems were previously always in January, if memory serves me right ... mind, maybe with the many repeated week-long downtimes of the past the certs reached March as expiry date....

Anyway, it is certainly something no IT grad would admit to have failed, that is why they keep quiet ... they are Microsoft for a reason™.

26. GordonD

M$ reliably locks me out of IMAP/SMTP about 30 days after I reset the password. Still works through the cloud, so I'm pretty sure it is their stupidity, not mine. Best guess is they think anyone using public VPNs are terrorists or even worse, spammers.

After this stupidity recurred a few times, I did the sensible thing and forwarded my incoming mail to an actually reliable email provider. Not sure why my employer is paying for this sorry PoS.

As an aside, five nines is supposed to be a reasonable uptime target; at least M$ limited their goals to the two nines they were likely to achieve.

27. packetguy

Fake News. Move along. Nothing to see here.

This is Fake News. There is no outage, and there are no aliens. No red heat maps burning the UK. It's all in El Reg's imagination. Go back to sleep. And anyway, even if there were an outage, it woldn't be aliens. We don't work that way.

28. Christian Berger

It only shows that you cannot improve reliability...

...by greatly increasing complexity. Every little bit of complexity is something that can break. Of course you can use redundancy to increase reliability, however if that means adding much more code, the net result can be a far less reliable system.

Redundancy only works when you only add little extra code to achieve it. A prime example is RAID 1. It's rather simple to implement, and allows you to survive disk breakdown without any noticeable disruption.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another cloud success...

Yay.

30. boatsman
    Pint

they fixed it, indeed. azure works, logged in via live.com

no text

31. dmacleo

affected onedrive here for about 30 minutes

and life went on...

32. wsm

Azure window has fallen into the sea

For a moment, I thought these two news items, this El Reg story and the other Azure window, were related:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20170308/local/the-azure-window-lost-and-gone-forever.641810

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like