back to article How Google Spanner's easing our distributed SQL database woes

I've been messing about with databases for a long time. I say "messing about" because I've never been a DBA, but as a systems programmer and storage administrator, I've been on the periphery of the application layer and of course I've deployed many personal databases. I was intrigued to read about the new global distributed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you want to see how some of this stuff is implemented, Cloudera wholehearted ripped off parts of Spanner for Apache Kudu, without the global network of atomic clocks keeping everything in sync.

1. jacksmith21006

The only thing even like Spanner is the open source CockroachDB. It was written based on the Google Spanner paper. It is Spanner but without TrueTime which is the Direct fiber, atomic clocks and GPS but critical it does not have the Google algorithms for guarantee maximum drift.

What is here that will be very difficult to replicated is the direct fiber and private network that Google owns that crosses the globe.

We can now see why Google invested the billions recently to lay fiber below the pacific ocean creating the fastest inter-pacific connection. This is key as you can NOT do this over public IP and you MUST have predictable network latency.

2. Steve Knox

So...

Is Spanner PA or PC? EL or EC? Why did you bring up the relevant theorem if not to apply it to the subject of the article?

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: So...

Spanner is C. With a high probability of being CA. It's not that dissimilar to VoltDB when it comes to handling partitions.

I too was hoping for a more informative article.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agree. Lets have a real deep dive into Spanner, what with architectural diagrams and everything. A strong consistency, ACID compliant DB which scales infinitely. That sounds interesting.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

According to this blog post, it's "technically CP" because in some partition scenarios it will forego A.

https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/02/inside-Cloud-Spanner-and-the-CAP-Theorem.html

3. Jet Set Willy

Massively off topic but why is there a spanner in this picture? At this point of threading you use your fingers, Spanners (for US readers, Wrenches) are for tightening/untightening when you can't do it by hand.

1. RichardB

Probably a deep and ironic pictocomment on the fact that the vast majority of the spanner users are going to be so far away from needing the scale features that they should just be using M$ SQL Express Edition.

But will use this because it is Cloudy and Webscale.

2. jacksmith21006

Google uses a name and then adds the "ers". So it is for Span and not a Spanner. But also realize in the US we do NOT know what a Spanner is because we never use this word like the UK. Never.

4. Ian Michael Gumby
    Boffin

Global clock is easy...

Each data center has a cesium clock for accuracy and its synced to the National Atomic clocks receiving a radio time signal. Based on the known source of the clock and their GPS location you can accurately sync and keep time in each data center. Pretty simple and the hardware is approximately 4-6K (USD) per data center.

Even if your GPS resolution is to within 100 meters, your clock is more accurate than the clock in a server.

So Google isn't doing anything fancy here.

The rest of the technology isn't that difficult either.

The larger issue is the legalities that will vex Google.

When spanner crosses a country's border, which country's data laws are in effect?

Think about that for a second.

That's the stuff that will kill Google. And there's already two cases. One against Google and One against Microsoft on US wanting access to data stored outside of the US.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Global clock is easy...

I'll bet you can lock a spanner down to a region, e.g. US regional data centers, if need be. You can do that with Google Cloud's other services.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Global clock is easy...

Right now you have no choice but to lock it down to a region. Cross-region Spanner (i.e. the actually hard stuff) is "coming soon"

2. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

@AC ...Re: Global clock is easy...

Could they lock it down? maybe.

Are they? No. See their current lawsuit w DoJ

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like