back to article Cancel your cloud panic: At $122bn it's just 5% of all IT spend

For all the hype about cloud it's a bit of a revenue wimp: the abacus-shufflers of IDC have just told the world that it will account for about five per cent of the world's tech spend in 2017. The firm's new Worldwide Semiannual Public Cloud Services Spending Guide says “worldwide spending on public cloud services and …

1. PTW

Biannual

"Semiannual" may well be in the OED "World English" edition but why!?

Is it an Antipodean? Having seen some Australian TV recently they seem to have overtaken the Septics at butchery of The Queen's English, and unusually extensions rather than contractions;

"a wheel stand" is a wheelie and the best of all "a horse barn" it's an effing STABLE!

/rant

Semi-literate convicts

1. PTW
      FAIL

Re: Biannual

Oops! Apologies for the errant "an". Who's semi-literate?

Measure twice, cut once, or just proof read twice following edits!

1. MyffyW Silver badge

... and don't be too proud to be hoist on your own petard :-)

2. O RLY
        Headmaster

"Oops! Apologies for the errant "an". Who's semi-literate?"

PTW, you've fallen into the classic Muphry's Law situation. It gets us all.

2. CheesyTheClown

I honestly have no idea how to respond to this. I am certainly not a speaker of the Queen's English as I find it a disorderly mess. I honestly lost absolutely all respect for the Queen's English when I heard her in an interview refer to the game of football as "Footie". People should prefer Oxford English over Queen's English, the Queen is a gutter slang speaker as well.

I recently learned while paying close attention on a visit to central England that the reason American's spell it color and the English spell it colour is because the American's pronounce it color and the English pronounce it colour which the ou in the English pronunciation is not the conjunction ou but instead the letter O and the letter U being rammed into each other softly.

There are many horrible words in the many different dialects of English. I believe that OED's persistence of documenting every single word ever without properly listed etymology as part of their new definitions any longer, practically disqualifies OED as an official dictionary as opposed to a competitor to "The Urban Dictionary". The last 5 times I've visited the OED, I received poor quality definitions with no further qualifications and have had to refer to wiktionary instead which supplied a slightly better experience.

As for your use of "Wheelie".

I believe that if you are an Englishman, you should be forced to use the term "wheel stand" instead because the British tongue has been grossly infected with a plague of "eeeeeeeee"'s. Every single possible noun in the British tongue has been reduced to a ridiculous single syllable followed by IEs. Honestly, Butties, Footie. The "cutsie shit plague" which has afflicted your nation is unforgivable. Call them sausages instead of bangers. Don't abbreviate mashed potatoes, there is simply no profit in that.

American English sucks like this as well. But unlike the British who seems to feel that they still have some resemblance of authority over than English language and more specifically "The Queen's English", one should strive to set an example of culture and dignity as opposed to allowing your language to degrade into a failed Hello Kitty cartoon.

My blogging/commenting grammar is reflective of my speech pattern as opposed to representative of grammatically correct writing as I would do elsewhere. I believe that if we are to take it upon ourselves to be grammar nazis in public, we should also strive to set a better example.

I'll forgive your wheelie comment today, I do believe that EEEEEEs affliction or not, it is likely the proper word in that place. However, as some point, I'd like to have a nice discussion with you about the British compression of the word "the". For example, I prefer to visit "The Hospital" when I'm ill as opposed to visiting someone named "Hospital". I feel one should be educated at "A University", "The University" or maybe at "Oxford University" or "The University of Chambridge" as opposed to simply "at university".

The almost random but accepted disappearance of the word "The" in The Queen's English would be considered guttural, unrefined or "Straight out damn near toothless redneck" in other dialects. For example, I would expect Kanye West to selectively omit the word "The" as he may not be able to spell it.

2. CheesyTheClown

More cloud spending when aaS is removed

This year marks the beginning of fully supported private clouds being shipped. You'll get the full public cloud experience with SaaS, PaaS and IaaS as a package you can buy in a box and have delivered. As such, most of the money currently earmarked for spending on "servers and storage and stuff" will be earmarked for "private cloud" instead.

We're about to see a massive move out of the public cloud as the cost of uncertainty increases throughout the world. With Theresa May being the first new leader of hate related politics and quickly followed by The Donald and Germany, France, Poland, etc... coming up soon, public cloud VERY SCARY right now. Possibly the worst choice any company can make is to place their business files on servers controlled by American or European countries that are lead by populist politicians. Consider that hosting data in the public cloud within the UK makes it susceptible to the snooper charter and the new follow up bills. The US government is suing Microsoft, Google, Amazon and others to claim the should have access to data held in data centers outside of America simply because American companies manage the data.

Populist propaganda removes human and civil rights from people generally under the heading of national security. While the cloud technology is perfectly sound, the problem is politics.

I was in a Microsoft Azure Security in the Cloud session last week held by Microsoft and asked "If I use one of the non-Microsoft Azure data centers located in Germany, does Microsoft U.S. have access to my data". The guy really avoided answering but eventually admitted in theory a subpoena issued in the U.S. would be all that would be required to give access to data in non-Microsoft data centers in Germany because it's still part of the Azure platform. Due to additional laws in America, Microsoft would be required to gag themselves and not tell anyone that the US government is snooping.

While I don't have anything to hide from the American's and certainly don't care if they are checking out the naked pictures I keep of myself (I'm not an attractive person) on my cloud accounts... I think that there are many companies out there that have to avoid that. There are no American companies currently delivering cloud services in any data center anywhere that can actually meet the requirements of EU Safe Harbor. UK companies are REALLY REALLY REALLY out on that one thanks to Miss May.

So... in the end, cloud will grow like crazy, but not in the public cloud. Instead, turn-key private cloud will be where we are in 5 years.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Broooooose

Re: More cloud spending when aaS is removed

We'll see a lot more of private cloud spend over the next few months and years because of a number of factors - better long term cost models, information security challenges which you outlined, control requirements and simply the fact that Dell, HPE, IBM, Oracle et al are not going to lie back and see their traditional business crumble (they have enough issues moving with the times with on-premise technology). Companies like HyperGrid (and Nutanix, poss VMware) are the ones to watch here in the short term, as they are deploying on-prem technology with cloud consumption & services models.

3. Adam 52 Silver badge

Re: More cloud spending when aaS is removed

"You'll get the full public cloud experience with SaaS, PaaS and IaaS as a package you can buy in a box and have delivered"

I really don't see how this can happen. You need three things - huge development capacity, huge spare infrastructure and a world-wide footprint with power, network etc.

The first is possible. Microsoft, IBM or Oracle could; but if you can then you may as well be in the public cloud game. It'll be more expensive because of the support costs. The second requires the accountants to approve huge speculative capital spend (and take the depreciation as a hit to profit) that are only possible for the really big boys. The third is same as second but with additional big logistic, legal and employment hurdles.

I think you'll get things like OpenStack, for the ultra-conservatives with one or two data centres, but anyone who wants to innovate quickly will go to AWS etc.

It's perfectly possible to encrypt everything to keep it from the FBI's sticky fingers. Tricky work, but nowhere near as hard as rolling your own.

3. John Robson Silver badge

Does this count Amazon...

spending stuff on real hardware to supply the cloud as cloud spend or as 'real' spend?

Because if the latter then surely cloud spend will never achieve 50% (or people are making a loss)

4. Lotaresco

Cloud doesn't work for many

Cloud and even [A-Z]aaS doesn't work for some, I suspect many, businesses and government organisations. The latter are throwing themselves at "cloud" solutions more vigorously than the former. Large integrators are pushing cloud services to government frantically while choosing to keep their own core services in their own DCs.

For SOHO and even MO businesses and fly by night start-ups there are obvious short-term advantages, particularly that there's no big capital outlay at the beginning. The business may get saddled with costs that don't scale well in the future and may even face the unpleasant task of lifting their systems from the cloud and transferring (somehow) to their own provision if the business succeeds; but that would be someone else's problem.

Cloud provision could but doesn't AFAICS offer a fifth service, security; with a decent SOC and skills at a level that no small business could afford. Sadly there's still a hill to climb convincing small businesses that they need to do anything to secure their systems, let alone pay a monthly service charge for security.

5. Oh Homer
    Meh

BaaS

Bollocks as a Service.

Well OK, not all of it is total bollocks. Datto seems to have it mostly right.

Otherwise I'd stick to private Cloud solutions, at least for SMBs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like