back to article TeamSpy hackers get the crew back together after four-year hiatus

Cybercrooks have once again begun slinging malware that subverts elements of the legitimate TeamViewer remote control app to snoop on victims. The tactic was previously seen in 2013. Attacks typically begin with booby-trapped emails harbouring malicious attachments that pose as eFax messages. If installed, the malicious code …

1. Mr_Pitiful

Huh

I think more info is required, how is it using Team Viewer?

1. Halfmad

Re: Huh

Shouldn't even have been published as an article without more information, come on el'reg!

2. therealjorge

Re: Huh

Try AEROADMIN as well. It's free for home and business use. Simple and fast. Requires no installation and configuration.

http://www.aeroadmin.com

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£££££$$$££££

If the perps want to pay the huge fee for TV for me I'll give it a go!

connecting to coat!!!

3. Palpy

Details in link embedded in --

-- the article. For your enjoyment:

The attack uses social engineering and a booby-trapped email.

"The attached file is a zip file, which, when opened, triggers the accompanying .exe file to be activated. This causes for the malicious TeamSpy code to be dropped onto the victim’s computer, as a malicious DLL."

The infection process also does some other stuff (refer to link in article), with the results:

"...the TeamSpy malware includes various components in the otherwise legitimate TeamViewer application. A keylogger and a TeamViewer VPN are two of these components. ... At the same time, logs are copied to the 'Log% s #%. 3u.txt' while simultaneously adding all available user names and passwords to the same file. This file is then sent continuously to the following C & C server..." (etc)

Reffy, as in El Reg article: Heimdall security.

1. JCitizen
      Holmes

Re: Details in link embedded in --

I must assume that Team Viewer has administrative rights even an a standard account? Otherwise, why would running a command to istall a DLL NOT set off the UAC? Seems like that should be a no no on any limited rights user account - maybe I've lost track of what permissions Windows gives to app-data files?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like