back to article Australia finally passes mandatory data breach reporting legislation

Australia has finally passed mandatory computer security breach reporting laws, fifteen years after California became the first jurisdiction to do so. It's been hard to find opposition to such laws in the time since. Major security vendors went to Canberra in the mid-to-late 2000s to lobby for it, Europe adopted its own …

1. Oengus

Weasel words

if organisations choose not to, they don't have to report.

This sounds like organisations will likely only report if they think it is in their best interests i.e. someone else is going to spill the beans on the data breach or there is the scope to gain some more money (rip off customers even more) to be able to "seal" the breach...

Mandatory should mean mandatory. No "Self assessment" of the breach. No weaselling out.

1. Likkie

Re: Weasel words

Apparently the government is redefining mandatory to mean optional.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

No, they mean "up to mandatory." This is the Internet after all.

2. Adam 1

They should have used the phrase "mandatory consultation". Even the most Tasmanian of senators could abide by the official definition of consult.

2. Sampler

I was reading this with growing concern

Until I got to the bit with "Small Businesses Exempt" - fantastic, that's my ass covered = )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like