back to article Small but perfectly formed: Dailymotion's object storage odyssey

Paris-based Dailymotion is the world's second largest video sharing website after YouTube and its three-stage storage history has transitioned from a reliable scale-out filer, to a maturing object storage startup, to an even smaller firm in pursuit of scale and performance. The story starts with Isilon, progresses through …

1. Corin
    Coffee/keyboard

Hosting

"Scality put out a video about how it was dealing with the site's storage."

and hosted it on Youtube

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

I had forgotten about DailyMotion

Perhaps it's time to check them out again?

Good to know there are large storage solutions that don't originate from Trumpville.

3. P. Lee
    Headmaster

Ç'est incroyable ñ'est-ce-pas*.

Do you mean that French questions end with a full stop instead of a question mark, or that the English translation of it ends with both a question mark and a full stop?

Incroyable indeed!

Yes, I know I've probably made a mistake too, but I don't get paid for this!

1. Geronimo!

Re: Ç'est incroyable ñ'est-ce-pas*.

I didn't even notice the missing "?". I did notice the ~ on the n though, which shouldn't be there.

4. Kelli

51 servers?

They have 51 HP servers for a total of 3660 disks. More than 70 disks per server. Which HPE servers would that be?

5. cloudguy

OpenIO uses its own hardware add-on. Is this progress?

Well, if OpenIO adds a hardware attachment (ARM+Ethernet add-on board) to HDDs and plugs them into a custom chassis, is this software defined storage using COTS hardware? Scality, AFAIK, makes no use of proprietary hardware with Scality's RING OBS software. In any event, it will be interesting to see how this hardware add-on approach from OpenIO actually performs at scale. We already know that Scality RING can perform at scale.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon