back to article Who do you want to be Who? VOTE for the BBC's next Time Lord

Peter Capaldi will demateralise as the 12th Time Lord this Christmas after four years. Capaldi was cast as Doctor Who by franchise owner the BBC in 2013 but will bow out with a regeneration during this year's Christmas special. Regenerations are always a reflective and throat-tightening event. Thanks, BBC – there goes my …

1. m0rt

Tom Wrigglesworth.

Should be him.

1. Steve Crook

Tom Wrigglesworth

Doesn't exist. He's an actor playing a part written for him by a 75 year old woman living in Letchworth. She doesn't like Dr Who.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

Jim Jefferies or Frankie Boyle.

2. EddieD

Not that bothered..

I stopped watching the show so many years ago that it's irrelevant - but given the BBC's current stance on positive discrimination, I'd say pretty certainly a woman, and regardless of gender, probably of non-caucasian origin.

White male? Forget about it.

1. Known Hero
      Unhappy

Re: Not that bothered..

Not sure who downvoted you, but the sad reality is you're probably right :/

I really wouldn't care if they did though because at the end of the day it genuinely doesn't matter and the role can easily allow it, but all the Fucking Fanfare that goes with it just demeans every single step of progress we have made in equality ......

1. getHandle

Noma Dumezweni!

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

If they were gonna do that , they'd have done it last time - it was only 4 years ago

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They've set the stage for a woman now, what with the General being revealed as always having been a woman apart from the one incarnation we first saw him in.

Still, what the hell, Patterson Joseph this time for sure.

1. ThomH

Joseph is tied up with US-based time travel right now, alas.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
          Coat

They've set the stage for a woman now

Being the BBC (Balding Broadcasting Corporation), Claire Balding will be the next Doctor

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Being the BBC (Balding Broadcasting Corporation), Claire Balding will be the next Doctor

I can actually see that working.

2. VinceH

"If they were gonna do that , they'd have done it last time - it was only 4 years ago"

There was speculation at the time, and much objection with it, as I recall.

I think that's why they reincarnated The Master as a woman - it makes it that much easier (read: will cause less objection) if they now reincarnate The Doctor as one.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dr Who plots and other series got much worse, with more Feminism and other Frankfurt School cultural Marxism, because the BBC went even further to the Left and dinosaur irrelevance. I can't think of anything worthwhile from the BBC now.

The BBC and big name TV has always been about control, not entertainment, so smarter people stop watching TV and most other entertainment/news programming.

Professional video trailers and programming often include hypnotic moving symbolic imagery (Sigel Magick), and weave destructive cultural conditioning into the content; this is dangerous because this 'entertainment' can enable direct programming of your sub-conscious, which can be difficult to eject later, even "Cold Turkey" e.g. the annoying habit of using brand names instead of generic names for things/activities after exposure to advertising.

1. Afernie

"Professional video trailers and programming often include hypnotic moving symbolic imagery (Sigel Magick), and weave destructive cultural conditioning into the content; this is dangerous because this 'entertainment' can enable direct programming of your sub-conscious,"

Seek medical help.

2. Alfred

"because the BBC went even further to the Left"

People with the other set of narrow-minded prejudices insist it's biased to the right. You, and others like you, just see what you want to see.

4. Afernie
      Facepalm

"White male? Forget about it."

I know, I know, there, there. It's always disappointing when white males are overlooked. Other than the last twelve f***ing times out of twelve obviously. Get over it.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think Gina Torres would do nicely then!

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Marina Sirtis has been campaigning for that role.

3. dvd

Andrew Scott (Moriarty out of Sherlock).

He'd do a great job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Isn't he The Master?

4. toxicdragon

Why not Richard Ayoade

1. LewisRage

according to the article,

not black enough.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Can't really imagine him running, can you?

3. MJI Silver badge

Baggage

Same issue as Sylvester McCoy

Will always be Maurice Moss

Just like Wurzel Gummage is Doc Who

4. englishr
      IT Angle

"Why not Richard Ayoade"

Too tnetennbulous?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"I came here to kill Daleks and drink milk, and I've just finished my milk."

5. Gseybarnes

I also think it should be Richard ayoade as he's a big name right now and I think he would bring something new to the role of the doctor

5. Captain Hogwash

Gary Newman?

Gary Numan, surely?

1. Black Rat

Re: Gary Newman?

oh I don't know I found this pic of Gary Newman with a companion

http://www.eonline.com/photos/19432/emmys-2016-party-pics/719793

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Gary Oldman

3. Pedigree-Pete
      Happy

Well Dr Whos friends ARE electric so it could fit, Oh wait, not THAT Gary Newman. Shame, could have been fun. PP

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's think big

Peter Dinklage for the Doctor!

1. SteveK

Re: Let's think big

I was thinking Warwick Davis - he was in Willow, several of the Harry Potters and all three Star Wars trilogies amongst others, so he's got fantasy/sci-fi credibility. And it's his birthday today, so why not.

1. TRT Silver badge

He was also The Emperor in that Cyberman episode. But.... No. He's a great actor, but I think it would limit the stories a bit.

1. Mark York 3 Silver badge
          Joke

He would be like the Third Doctor, stuck largely with a inoperable TARDIS (Inoperable because he can't reach the controls console).

2. Anonymous Custard

And it would fit with people who've had parts in the show before becoming the doctor (Capaldi, Baker mk 2...) Would certainly be interesting to see how they redesigned the TARDIS console room around that one too...

1. NightFox

Good point - I'm pretty sure being the last of the Timelords and President of the Earth doesn't exempt anyone from DDA. The present incarnation probably has a legal obligation to modify the TARDIS appropriately to avoid discriminating against future companions, or even future regenerations. At least he'll probably get a blue badge out of it.

3. ravenviz Silver badge
        Coat

He might take the stories to new heights...

7. WonkoTheSane

Alternative choice

I find it "interesting" that Kris Marshall announced he was leaving "Death in Paradise" so soon after Peter Capaldi's announcement.

1. Phil W

Re: Alternative choice

Some news outlets have suggested that to. But frankly I think he'd be a bad choice, however it did inspire me to think of a really good choice. Robert Lindsay.

2. John Sager

Not Doctorish enough. I thought about Mel & Sue - the idea of the regeneration going wrong & producing a fission would be interesting. But there are better pairs - thinks:

Chuckle Brothers? - no!

Jedward? - kill me for that thought.

Rowan Atkinson & Tony Robinson? - worth a second thought.

1. The First Dave

Don't think the Cheeky Girls are committed to anything just now...

3. BebopWeBop
      Happy

Well thar could be correlation only. I think DiP is one of those thing you do to have a good time in Guadeloupe (?) and I do find it amusing enough to enjoy over a late beer. He might just want a little new - but D Who of late has had scripts rather weaker than anything I - and lets face it, the resident DS has always been smarter/prettier than anything in recent Who

8. Known Hero

Absolutley Brilliant

I now have a scene in my head of Clarkson screaming MORE POWEEEER whilst hitting random stuff in the Tardis !!!

No...... he would make a horrible Dr, but my god it would be funny for a Christmas special.

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Absolutley Brilliant

How hard could it be?

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

They could have The Doctor regenerate into Clarkson, be immediately killed by falling masonry, and then regenerate again.

1. ThomH

Just do a Never Mind the Buzzcocks/etc and line up a series of single-episode guest Doctors?

1. JDX Gold badge

Actually single-episode spin-offs is a wonderful idea. Probably best doing it as a separate thing not trying to force it into the story arc though... unless he somehow gets some affliction which means he has Uncontrollable Regeneration Syndrome

Seeing different actors would be great although it does take some time to feel out the role I suppose.

2. Captain DaFt

"Just do a Never Mind the Buzzcocks/etc and line up a series of single-episode guest Doctors?"

There's actually merit in the idea.

Just have a regeneration be unstable, causing his mannerisms and looks to constantly shift.*

Then when an actor 'clicks' with the viewers, <plotdevice> makes him the doctor until the next regen, and lather, rinse, repeat.

*And why not? They've already admitted they make it up as they go along anyway.

2. getHandle

Nah - killed by a falling caravan!

1. ps2os2

Falling TARDIS?

3. Peter X
      Coat

James May?

It'd be hilarious - he'd be all "oh cock" and "you've gone and cocked it up - you cock" when ever the Tardis went wrong or his sonic screwdriver broke.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Victor Meldrew (Richard Wilson)

Doctor Constantine?

2. hammarbtyp

Re: Victor Meldrew (Richard Wilson)

I wouldn't believe it

10. Richard Jukes

Noddy Holder.

I have been saying for years that Noddy should be the doctor. And apparently he's up for it.

1. ThomH

He could finally clear up the average episode's ambiguity as to whether it is Christmas?

11. heyrick Silver badge

Lumley

I think she'd make a great Dr. A sort of self assured no bull seen it all before kind of character.

Clarkson, by contrast, would be awful.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Lumley

Already done it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lumley

>Clarkson, by contrast, would be awful.

I'd love to see his critique and test drive of a Dalek.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Clarkson

Please make it so....

Then really arm the Daleks so that we can get rid of the buffoon once and for all.

No, banishing him to Amazon is not far enough away.

12. sorry, what?
    Devil

All mixed up in the Doctor's timey-whimey time stream...

I think it would be really interesting if Clara, aka Jenna Coleman, returned as the doctor... mess with a few heads...

1. tony72

Re: All mixed up in the Doctor's timey-whimey time stream...

That's a really feeble excuse for bringing Clara back. But I can't say I blame you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh no ... haven't they already done the "interwining the time lines" bit with Clara and the Doctor + all the "impossible girl" mystery stuff. Got a bad feeling that there's a "look at me, aren't I clever" multi series timey-wimey story arc that Stephen Moffat has been hatching for several years.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

There's precedent. Romana regenerated into the face of a supporting character and she was a time lord.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There's precedent. Romana regenerated into the face of a supporting character and she was a time lord.

Yes, and Donna Noble was sort of The Doctor for a bit.....

2. Munchausen's proxy
      Pint

I'd rather see Faye Marsay. After all, that Christmas episode was entirely Shona's dream.

13. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Has Stephen Mangam had a go yet? If not , why not? He's got Dr written all over him.

I'd prefer it if he made another Dirk Gently series though

1. lybad

Mangam

Apparently he was up for making more Dirk Gently - however, BBC went with Netflix to do it.

Not watched either series so can't comment either way as to the quality.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Mangam

Netflix outing is dreadful. They could have done it brilliantly without using up a franchise point.

14. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Unhappy

none of the above

While I fully realize your list of choices was presented with tongue firmly implanted in cheek, I must say "None of the above" and plead for Sean Pertwee as a legitimate contender.

What bothers me most is that I really like Capaldi in the role. The odd awful script aside, I've really enjoyed his portrayal of the Doctor and will be quite sad when he departs.

1. sorry, what?

Re: none of the above

I agree with the "none of the above", but I found Capaldi a real turn-off.

2. Richard 81

I liked Capaldi a lot. It's a shame the first series he was in was pants, but that's the fault of the writers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I liked Capaldi a lot. It's a shame the first series he was in was pants, but that's the fault of the writers.

I've only just finished watching Capaldi's first season, and i seriously misread your comment, wondering why he would traipse around without trou for three years.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Because he was feeling particularly Scottish those three years and went with a kilt?

I mean, that's not how it happened, but it would have been great if it was.

15. Your alien overlord - fear me

Idris Elba - he's in the running for every other 'main character' so why not Dr Who?

16. Warm Braw

The Donald, obviously

He can fix anything without the aid of a sonic screwdriver and attracts indisputably huge ratings.

Distracting him would also save Earth, the Doctor's primary mission.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: The Donald, obviously

Teaming up with The Slitheen? More Trump jokes.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A selection of suggestions

1) Simon Pegg

2) Ralph Fiennes

3) Benedict Cucumberpatch

4 ) Robert Downey Jr

The Reg is getting slow in it's old age. We should have had the usual vote ages ago.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: A selection of suggestions

Pegg was in an episode in 2005

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Re: A selection of suggestions

There's a long tradition of the Doc "reusing" faces he's met before.

18. Anonymous Custard

Tom Baker

Just to screw with everyone's minds, plus it was great to see him at the end of the 50th anniversary special

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Tom Baker

I'm surprised Sean Pertwee and David Troughton aren't on the list. They are uncanny when they cosplay.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>and David Troughton

Read about his brother Micheal, remember Piers Fletcher-Dervish from The New Statesman ? An interesting story.

"Troughton took a break from acting in 2002 in order to care for his disabled wife and obtained a science degree, from the Open University. He then taught Physics at Sir John Leman school in Beccles for two years, before moving to Woodbridge School to become Head of Drama."

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Troughton

1. Kimo

I read that as Sir John Lennon school the first time.

19. John H Woods Silver badge

SWIMBO says:

Aidan Turner but then she would, wouldn't she?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jeremy Clarkson would kill (literally) the series. What about James Nesbitt?

21. Queeg

Considering Clarkson's [77] in the lead at time of writing and Tom Bakers [63] mind appears to slipping (too many Jelly Babies).

I suspect we have a Boaty McBoatface situation on our hands.

That's a thought, what about old Dave?

He has to be at least as popular as Jezzer.

1. Known Hero

Very on point, I only voted Clarkson for the pure hilarity of the idea.

22. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Trollface

Chris Evans

Ducks and covers.

23. Yeti
    Coat

Missing option

Rowan Atkinson, duh!

1. WonkoTheSane
      Headmaster

Re: Missing option

He's already done it, in the same Children in Need sketch as Joanna Lumley. "The Curse of the Fatal Death", IIRC

24. Aladdin Sane
    Devil

Me

Because I'm awesome

25. Major N

Patterson Joseph.

26. Duffy Moon
    Holmes

Tom Hollander

I don't think the Beeb will go for anyone too old, young, a woman (The Master is already a woman) or any offspring of previous regenerations.

So how about a fantastically versatile and brilliantly bonkers character actor (like all the best ones have been) such as Tom Hollander? Anyone who's ever seen him in anything will realise how perfect he'd be. My worry is that the writing won't do him justice.

27. Whitter
    Devil

Here are some names.

Rufus Sewell

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Shirley Manson

Ruth Negga

Laura Fraser

Rupert Grint

Tom Felton

Other names are available.

1. Swarthy

Re: Here are some names.

After The Doctor complaining "still not ginger" after every Regeneration, Rupert Grint would be excellent.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Here are some names.

Rufus Sewell

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Shirley Manson

Ruth Negga

Laura Fraser

Rupert Grint

Tom Felton

Other names are available.

Such as....

Rufus Felton

Charles Manson

Shirley Emoticon

Laura Luara

Hey! stop making up names....

28. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Ed Byrne. Who wouldn't love a sweary stoner Irish doctor?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Black, Lesbian, disabled migrant should tick all the BBC's boxes.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

With a moronic and clichéd comment like that, it's genuinely impossible to tell if you are a bot.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Black, Lesbian, disabled migrant should tick all the BBC's boxes."

Excellent, if you can point to such an actress, then that's the one.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"Black, Lesbian, disabled migrant should tick all the BBC's boxes."

Excellent, if you can point to such an actress, then that's the one.

Liz Carr (Clarissa Mullery - Silent Witness). British born but otherwise scores three out of four

And I bet there are more. Not sure if I should be ashamed of not knowing who they would be or can put that down to not classifying people by such attributes.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's racist, heterophobic and discriminatory to able people but it's ok the other way round.

30. Moosh
    Angel

I'm not quite sure who I would like to play the Doctor

But I do know I would quite like some decent writing.

1. C Yates

Re: I'm not quite sure who I would like to play the Doctor

Thank god someone said this!

The last two doctors would have been brilliant if it were not for the writing - a very patchy affair.

I hope to god that Capaldi's regeneration isn't as crap as Matt Smiths! (Such an anti-climax!)

31. Oliver Mayes

My vote would go to Dylan Moran.

32. John 110

Bill Bailey or Paul Hollywood (he could stare down a Dalek singlehanded)

Or I could probably free up some time in my schedule...

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lily Savage

34. adnim

Jason Statham

I am not sure if I am joking ;-)

1. Known Hero

Re: Jason Statham

Wow !! Actually you're onto something here.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ewan Bremner

...let's face it, Spud would make a cracking Dr.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Ewan Bremner

Spud? Greg Wallace!

36. Dave Pickles

Thirteen?

I thought Time Lords were limited to 12 regenerations. Didn't The Master have to do something terrible to achieve his thirteenth? Of course I stopped watching Dr Who when I left Uni in the 1970s so maybe they've found a way round the limit.

1. RealBigAl

Re: Thirteen?

They did. David Tennant had a throwaway line in the Sarah Jane adventures that the 12 limit was just something he'd made up on the spur of the moment.

2. Oliver Mayes

Re: Thirteen?

The Timelords gave The Doctor a new set of regenerations in Matt Smiths final episode.

37. Christian Berger

Maybe someone from the cast of "Selling Hitler"

It already has Tom Baker and Peter Capaldi in it. Maybe we could retroactively make that series the one with the most "Doctors". :)

38. Kaltern

I'd like to simply not know until he actually regenerates. It's a bit stupid to announce the actor prior to the scene we now now is going to happen. I don't even understand why the BBC feel the need to release the information that an actor is leaving and a new one is coming.. probably so we can WATCH IT. Please. Watch it, we need the viewing figures...

1. ThomH

I believe it's (i) a courtesy to the departing actor, who doesn't need to be coy about seeking work; and (ii) a convenient opportunity for marketing.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Idris Elba

Bring a sense of latent menace to the good doctor.

40. qwarty

Next Timelord

I'd like to see a female timelord as the lead character.

Not a regeneration of the Doctor. A new character (the Doctor himself can be lost for a while).

That way we dispose of much of the baggage of the Doctors personal history and avoid the embarassing suggestion that a woman needs a few thousand years of experience living as a man before she can cut it as a superhero.

1. Kimo

Re: Next Timelord

I always wanted Romanadvoratrelundar to have her own series. In the current Whoverse, there is a female Doctor clone running around that we never hear from...

1. WonkoTheSane

She does, in the Big Finish audio plays. They did 8 seasons about her presidency of Gallifrey

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I'd like to see a female timelord as the lead character."

But all the other time lords are dead, which makes it a bit hard without major reboots.

1. Brad Ackerman
        Alien

But all the other time lords are dead, which makes it a bit hard without major reboots.

So were the Daleks, and we all know how well the Doctor genocided them.

1. Another Brick

What about the Doctor's daughter ?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'd like to see a female timelord as the lead character.

Not a regeneration of the Doctor. A new character (the Doctor himself can be lost for a while)."

Strangely, long before I got to your comment, I was thinking maybe drop Who for a year or so and do a River Song spin-off series. She is, effectively, a female "doctor" in that she's sorta part timelord even if she did give up her remaining regenerations to save The Doctor,

Or maybe an Ashilda and Clara spin-off. Last seen flying off into space/time in an american diner.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoopi Goldberg

Whoopi Goldberg

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Whoopi Goldberg

Well if you're going to be facetious, Why not Zoidberg?

(Hmm, a non human incarnation... Hmm... Nah!)

42. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hugh Laurie ?

Just a thought...

1. Tom 7

Re: Hugh Laurie ?

as a wooster doctor?

1. dikkeoembah
        Trollface

Doctor House...

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Hugh Laurie as a Wooster doctor

PERFECT!

2. chuckrman

I rather like him as a choice.

43. Ironclad

Olivia Coleman or Doon Mackichan

Gah, you teased me with Olivia Coleman but didn't give her as a vote option. Probably got bigger fish to fry. Failing that Doon Mackichan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0533489/?ref_=tt_cl_t4 currently in Two Doors Down on the BBC) would make an excellent Doctor Who. Just needs a handsome assistant.

44. Alister

Affording the chance for change is new writing talent: Steven Moffat, who's been on board since the 2005 Christopher Ecclestone reboot, is off and in comes Chris Chibnal, writer of ITV's dark crime drama Broadchurch.

Come on Gavin, not one mention of Russell T Davies? If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't have been a revival at all.

45. dc_m

How about going old school with Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian Mckellan

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

If 2016 is any indicator, they'll both be dead by June for deeply unfair reasons.

46. Kimo

1. Martin Clunes. Can do comedy and be a right asshole.

2. James and Oliver Phelps. Ginger this time. Twice.

3. Ingrid Oliver. Osgood? Osgood. Osgood who?

47. Dr. G. Freeman

Ben Whishaw- Q from the new bond films

or

Natalie Dormer, if we do have to have a female doctor.

But please not Dr Maggie Peacock, from the Sky at Night (she fits all the PC ticky boxes if it were a ticky box exercise)

Although some of the professional geeks I know are saying Sacha Dhawan.

48. Black Rat

I think Idris Elba could work then again so could the return of Catherine Tate, it's a timey whiney meta crisis thing. But if you really want to mess with your head... is Paul Darrow (Avon of Blakes7) still about?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"...is Paul Darrow (Avon of Blakes7) still about?"

Yes. And he was playing Avon for Big Finish audio books in The Liberator Chronicles just a few years ago. And I just discovered he played the part of Sam Vimes in Guards! Guards!, the touring play in 1998!

1. WonkoTheSane

He did indeed. I saw him in the part in Stoke-On-Trent.

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Honestly - how is The Hoff not an option?

50. Blofeld's Cat

Hmm...

I feel that Eddie Izzard would make a good Doctor.

He's played some wonderful parts (such as "Torrence" in Day of the Triffids), over the years, many with that dark, ambiguous edge needed by the Doctor.

51. benderama

Lets give Tom Baker another run at it. After all, who knows?

Coat

"Lets give Tom Baker another run at it. After all, who knows?"

Or Colin Baker!

Yes, the slightly overstated one ---------------->

52. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Rory Kinnear

The best "Iago" I have seen. He would make a masterful Doctor.

Re: Rory Kinnear

I always think of his dad when his name is mentioned. For the life of me I can never remember what Rory looks like because I get the mental image of Roy.

1. WonkoTheSane

Re: Rory Kinnear

Ask google to show you, and you'll realise you weren't far off. He DOES take after his dad quite a bit!

53. Nolveys
    Unhappy

Can I Vote For David Bowie?

Oh...I can't.

;(

Re: Can I Vote For David Bowie?

You could vote for Sting though :-)

54. Hilibnist

Not more of the same

I can't think of a Doctor I didn't eventually enjoy (can't blame the actors for the writing) but I think the new incumbant has had the best chance when he's been an obvious contrast to his predecessor. David Tennant and Matt Smith were a bit too similar for my liking (young and full of laughs), so poor ol' Matt had a hard time putting his own stamp on the character.

Gravitas is a definite must-have though. Peter Capaldi (without the guitar or specs) brought that back to the part in a way that the younger actors couldn't always portrey alongside their goofy scripts. After all, this is a guy who has lifetimes of experience; he's at his best when that shows.

What about Ivanno Jeremiah (Humans, Max) as the Doctor? Definitely a calm contrast to Peter Capaldi's fire.

1. cray74
      Trollface

Re: Not more of the same

but I think the new incumbant has had the best chance when he's been an obvious contrast to his predecessor

So...Vinnie Jones?

55. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoever it is I want to see Katherine Kelly Miss Quill from Class as the companion.

56. Toltec

Sanjeev Bhaskar could be good in the role

57. Dazed and Confused

Harriot Harman

Then we can all just hope some Dalek gets lucky.

58. cjcox

My recommendation

I recommended to the BBC a "fun" but risky suggestion. Risky in that he's probably not interested.

I suggested American actor/model Shemar Moore.

A "buff" Doctor could be a lot of fun. Could bring some lost viewship back as well.

59. Chris Jasper

Rowan Atkinson in all seriousness

60. DrBobK

Chris Eubank

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

61. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One episode special

Far-rage as Who with STASI May, his sidekick. The TARDIS will whiz them back 67M years, they step out into a mist... a T-Rex bites their heads off. May is consumed, Far-rage staggers back through the door for re-geration game season 14.

62. Blitheringeejit
    Happy

Just like last time there was a vote on this...

...I despair that Maggie Smith is not included in the shortlist. Or Benjamin Zephaniah.

But if we have to stick with white males, isn't it about time Billy Connolly got a go? He's done every other bloody thing.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Re: Just like last time there was a vote on this...

The only man to ever die in a Muppets movie? Aye, Billy Connolly would be interesting as the Doctor.

63. The_Idiot

As a Matt-er of fact...

... much as I'd love to see the good Mr Tennant back (highly unlikely), or even Mr Smith (I've read he's said he'd like to come back) - can I go with another Matt? Constantine meets the Doctor, shabby raincoat and all - Matt Ryan! :-)

64. Red Bren

Same choice as last time

i think James Nesbitt would make an excellent Dr Who. He can carry off the right mix of madcap and menace.

65. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cara Delevingne?!? seriously?, you having a laugh?

I leave, for your consideration, her portrayal of Laureline in the up and coming Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

A Thousand Planets? more like a thousand times no...

The part of the Doctor needs a character actor, not some passing fad or expedient 'politically correct' choice, by all means, have a female doctor, so long as the actress is up to the role, Oh, and please, no bloody USians, the leeches at BBC Worldwide can keep their fingers out of the pie..

I've no real candidates, but, hey, if they can bring Peter Cushing back for Star Wars, then I'll have a CGI Margaret Rutherford in full Madame Arcati mode as the next Doctor please..

1. Ty Cobb
      Alien

Re: Cara Delevingne?!? seriously?, you having a laugh?

Excuse me? You would deny Michael Shanks of Stargate and Saving Hope the role? He would be a damn fine Doctor.

How about even the gravelly voiced Ron Pearlman?

66. Alister

I wonder if Helen Mirren would consider it?

I think she'd be great as the Doctor.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Having heard the woman reading a version of Brerr Rabbit wherein said rabbit was extrajudicially detained and force-fed by anal infusion, I think she's a better candidate for the Master, or maybe Davros.

67. Charlie van Becelaere

John Barrowman

Clearly the time-space continuum would love the chance to see the timelines of the Doctor and Captain Jack intersect in some bizarre fashion, no?

68. ShadowDragon8685

Mmmmh. Seen a lot of good suggestions, seen a lot of crazy ones... Let's start from the top.

* Jeremy Clarkson would be great for a funsies one-off two-hour special, especially with Richard Hammond and James May as companions... As themselves, and rather bewildered as to why Jezza is acting more strange than usual. You can end it all when the real Jeremy Clarkson (played by Jeremy Clarkson, as himself,) shows up to track them down because they need to get filming, gets upset that some overweight tosser in a police box nicked his mates and starts a fistfight... With himself... That ends with the two of them toppling over a railing in the TARDIS, falling out of shot. Then the Gong o' Doom starts ringing, the real Jezza comes sprinting out and heading for the exit saying that he's made a terrible mistake and they need to just run. Cue trio, exiting from the TARDIS and off-screen sound of some kind of supercars starting up and burning rubber away, and then the real next Doctor climbs back up, and says something like "What a bunch of [CENSORED]."

*Sir Patrick Stewart or Sir Ian McKellan would be too like Capaldi... But Sir Patrick Stewart AND Sir Ian McKellan would be interesting. Two old guys who've had far too much of this nonsense, yet not nearly enough of this nonsense.

* Rowan Atkinson caught me offguard, but yeah, I could see that, actually. Blackadder proves he's more than capable of doing one character who's capable of being bitterly caustic and cynical, serious, and yet funny at the same time.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be someone nobody has ever even thought of as the Doctor. And hopefully, it'll be good. I had severe misgivings about Capaldi, but now I'm kind of sad to see him go.

69. Daggerchild Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Alterangular

To think about it from the other angle, what kind of Doctor would you need to try and counter the Trump/Brexit age?

Personally, I want to see Capaldi go darkside as a reaction to all the cruelty/stupidity, requiring his companion to actually force a regeneration/reroll to stop him. I think Capaldi would appreciate getting his teeth into that.

The next Doctor would need to work on reattaching a culture to reason, and how all simple solutions are delusions. I vote for the next Doctor being a teenage girl boiling with internal chaos and the horrendous realisation we're all still predatory animals wearing fake skins, lying to each other about how civilised we are, while she tears apart each reassurance the companions try and use with cold cruel clarity.

1. Richard 26

Re: Alterangular

"To think about it from the other angle, what kind of Doctor would you need to try and counter the Trump/Brexit age?."

Michelle Obama, obvs.

70. Daggerchild Silver badge

Why not both?

Howabout an unstable doctor who keeps flipping between two characters/genders.

There was a Gaiman story (Books of Magic I think) with a character (Constantine) who was male on one side of a portal, but a bladewielding woman (Rose) on the other side, to the shock of the unchanged protagonist, but no others.

71. brook_tno

Lenny Henry

would be ball bouncingly funny to see Chef yelling at some cyberman, or weeping angel about how their salmon mousse was complete s***!

72. Steve Dulieu

If we're going for a female Doctor, don't pussy about, get Katie Beckinsale in full on Selene mode...

73. jelabarre59

Asian

Perhaps as well as making The Doctor a woman, they could make her Asian...

My vote's on Hatsune Miku...

74. TWB

Julian Clary

or Jo Brand, or maybe Sandi Toksvig - though I cannot imagine any of them running around much.

I would like to see a non-white and/or non-male though and nothing made of it at all - no remarks from the new doctor when he/she appears about skin colour or sex - this could be truly non-racist and non-sexist.

75. Brad Ackerman

Susannah Harker, Judi Dench, Marina Sirtis, Lena Headey would be my additions to the list.

76. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

David Cameron isn't doing anything...

Just sayin' :)

77. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Obscure cultural reference in three, two...

Is Misako Koba available?

78. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame Capaldi is leaving

It might be seen as treason by the "Tom Baker will always be the best doctor ever" crowd, but I think he was the best doctor ever. Just the right combination of rough edges, self doubt, braggadocio and deadpan. Plus he had the look in his eyes that someone who has lived 2000 years would probably have.

I have really hated the succession of younger and younger doctors, trying to make him into a pin up boy. The doctor should be middle aged or older. I'm fine with a woman, just don't make her a hottie, that's not what Doctor Who is supposed to be about!

79. Allan George Dyer

Judi Dench

or

Lenny Henry

80. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

None of the above.

Staphen "Rolling Thunder" Hawking it is.

81. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shh!

[stage whisper] Rumours have it, the Beeb are going to suck up to Buck house and offer the part to Harrys gf.

82. simon gardener

"I'm the Doctor, but probably not the one you expected"

Its time to go back in time and give Paul McGann a few seasons as the 8th Doctor.

The 199x US tv Movie was frankly dreadful on many levels but McGann was great and when they did that very short little online Night of The Doctor episode just ahead of the 50th anniversary episode he shone.

Cant think of a single reason not to give the man a decent run at the role.

Re: "I'm the Doctor, but probably not the one you expected"

"The 199x US tv Movie was frankly dreadful on many levels but McGann was great and when they did that very short little online Night of The Doctor episode just ahead of the 50th anniversary episode he shone."

I know, I know, I keep plugging Big Finish, no I don't work for them. But!!!! Paul McGann does a great job as the 8th Doctor on audio. And all the BF Who scripts get clearance from the Doctor Who team so are effectively canon.

1. WonkoTheSane

Re: "I'm the Doctor, but probably not the one you expected"

There were several nods to his Big Finish audios in "Night of the Doctor".

83. simon gardener

the missing option in your poll

the best and most interesting actor that can get to commit to at least 4 years

84. Richard Wharram

Aiden Gillen

Doctor Littlefinger.

85. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Happy

Sandy Toksvig

If it is to be a woman, then, how about Sandy Toksvig?

86. BongoJoe

My female vote...

...would be for Eva Green. Just for her wonderful stare that could wither whole planets.

87. Tubs

Just another option

Richard E. Grant?

He's done wild and wacky...

88. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

E̶x̶t̶e̶r̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶e̶!̶ E̶x̶t̶e̶r̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶e̶!̶

Brexit! Brexit!

Nigel Farage as Davros

89. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

Tony Blair

I wouldn't be surprised if the great middle east peacemaker has let it be known that he'd like the job. Probably wishing he could go back in time and plant some WMD for the weapons inspectors to find

90. Gio Ciampa

Harry Melling

Young enough for the fangirls...

...connected enough to the original show for the old guard...

91. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

Ummm

Have they thoroughly canvassed all the transgender clinics?

92. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hannah Waddingham.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-entire-universe/46142/the-entire-universe-review

93. PK

Zooey Deschanel ?

I'm fine with a black or female Doctor but accept that an American one might be a step too far though...

94. Pat Harkin

The Boy With Tape On His Face. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikhQVNyZIRw

Yes, I know. But just imagine...

95. Metal Marv

Its got to be...

BRIAN BLESSED!

96. WonkoTheSane

Was going to suggest Ardal O'Hanlon

But he just got the lead in "Death in Paradise"

97. eldakka

Alternative

Brian Blessed

There would be many opportunities for him to say "<insert name> is alive!" (Davros, the master, others).

Even as a companion so he can say "The Doctor is alive!"

1. eldakka

Re: Alternative

Cary Elwes

1. GerryMC

Re: Alternative

Inconceivable!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like