back to article MNOs will lose 5G rewards to new entrants if they will not share networks

The advantages of network sharing seem glaringly obvious in a world where the mismatch between mobile data demand and mobile data ARPU is rushing MNOs’ profits. The need to reduce the cost of delivering those rising tides of data is urgent, but many operators are ready to discuss almost any tactic – Wi-Fi offload, automation, …

1. simmondp

TLA not defined

RAN = Radio Access Network (I think) which I presume is the street hardware and back-haul wires?

1. fibrefool

Re: TLA not defined

yes - Radio Access Network. So the cell-site and its backhaul network towards the mobile core.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

"The advantages of network sharing seem glaringly obvious in a world where the mismatch between mobile data demand and mobile data ARPU is rushing [squeezing?] MNOs’ profits."

Someone should tell Ofcom, as it would seem they don't want to see any further consolidation in the UK mobile market that might benefit customers...

3. fibrefool

Not sure I agree with the article's conclusion that:

"The density of 5G in some areas will absolutely require sharing – a shared or neutral host approach will be the only one possible in locations where hundreds of cells are needed per square kilometre."

Surely sharing is key for rural areas where the cost of building out is high - and the goal is to get coverage (of e.g. 800Mhz 4G or 900Mhz 2G).

in denser areas as long as the reach of each individual cell-site is ok (depends on the frequency used) then there's no great need to share - as what you're after is capacity rather than coverage.

where sharing *might* be needed in dense 5G deployments is if the reach of Mmw radio is too short to enable each operator to build out enough cells.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile in the UK

!WTF!? is 5G!!! Haven't even got 4G yet :(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like