back to article Trump's cartoon comedy approach to running a country: 'One in, two out' rule for regulations

US President Donald Trump has emitted another executive order: this latest one is aimed at reducing the number of government regulations. The order, signed Monday morning, requires that for every new regulation introduced by government officials, two existing regulations must be taken off the books. "Unless prohibited by law …

1. Paul J Turner

I like it

It's a darned good idea, all that deadwood festooned with red tape that was created for a brief purpose and then often left because nobody could be bothered with doing cleaning when it had served it's purpose.

Now the buggers that created it and left it will have to tidy it up.

I look forward to the infighting as people try and defend their own bit of history that someone else sees as trash.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> deadwood...created for a brief purpose...left...when it had served it's purpose.

I sympathise with the feeling - here in Germany there's never a shortage of paperwork. But most of it exists to support specific laws, i.e. parliament has decided that X is a worthy goal, then the implementation gets thrashed through countless rounds of lawyering and a shower of regulations emerges, each (in principle anyway) traceable to the legislation. To really get rid of regulations simplify the legal framework, which means politicians doing their jobs and turning aside from special pleadings of their lobby groups.

For all that there certainly will be obsolete regulations, besides those deriving from obsolete laws. But how many? Trump apparently claims 3/4 are dispensable - do you trust that his people have derived this from even a cursory review of the vast existing set of US Federal codes? My money is on "truthiness" - it just feels right. In much the same way that "everyone knows" that human rights legislation leads to traversties of justice, yet when faced with the core principles few can say which ones they'd simply delete.

just as laws can become partially or wholly obsolete

1. The IT Ghost

Re: > deadwood...created for a brief purpose...left...when it had served it's purpose.

Anyone who looks at the vast sea of sometime-contradictory law that DC has churned out can tell there's a lot there to be gotten rid of. The former governor of Minnesota (and former "wrestler", Jesse Ventura, required the legislature spend one day a week finding legislation to repeal...and Minnesota didn't actually implode, shockingly enough. Sure it was a gimmick since most legislators just didn't bother to show up that day at all, and there was no actual measured result requirement.

And this is a LOT easier than the huffy newspaper-scribbler thinks. You identify ONE regulation you could get rid of...then you simply take a second one that's actually doing something useful, re-write that one, then submit both the original as the ones to get rid of. Complies by the rules, eliminates two, adds one, no delta on cost. In 1982, 35 years ago, the US Justice Department guesstimated there were 3,000 separate crimes on the books. In 2008, the Heritage Foundation published a "minimum" of 4,450 criminal offenses. This does NOT include executive orders or court-created regulations...these are laws that passed Congress and were signed by the President. Four thousand separate ways to break Federal law (doubtless, the ways to infringe upon justice at state, city, and county level would add tens of thousands of opportunities to accrue jail time). I'm fairly sure its well within the realm of possibility to cut that down to, say...1,000 without actually impacting the legal system in any way. US Code 21 USC 461 & 9 CFR 381.171(d) make it a crime to sell "Turkey Ham" as "Ham Turkey" or with the words "Turkey" and "Ham" in different fonts. I'm REALLY sure we need that as a Federal law. 16 USC 551 and 36 CFR 261.16(c) tell us its a crime to wash a fish in a faucet not labeled as a fish-washing faucet, in a national park. Other laws make it a crime to allow your pig (doesn't everyone have a pet pig?) into a fenced area of public land where it *might* destroy grass. Its also Federal crime to "harass" a golfer in any national park in Washington DC (I think the clothes some people wear to play golf amount to harassment of everyone in visual range). Its a Federal crime to "consult" with a known pirate. Its a Federal offense to "injure" a government-owned lamp. Need I go on? There's a lot of stupid, nonsensical CRAP that can easily be cleared out that even Mr. Newspaper would have to agree we can do without. One more...its against US Law to advertise wine "in a manner that suggests it has intoxicating qualities". Because its not intoxicating...it just causes behavioral changes that closely resemble being drunk.

1. veti Silver badge

@The IT Ghost

I'm fairly sure that "I'm fairly sure that..." is a tell for truthiness rather than actual knowledge.

There's a reason why "turkey ham" is regulated: because people who sell food are unscrupulous bastards who would, left to their own devices, not hesitate to pass off one product as another. Regulations governing those products give consumers the confidence to trust the label.

That's often the case with regulations: they exist for a reason, even if that reason isn't immediately obvious to some Year-Zero zealot in the present day. In the context of software, Joel Spolsky explains it quite eloquently here.

I'm sure there are lots of laws and regulations that can be repealed harmlessly. But I don't know which ones. Neither do you, and neither, I'm 100% confident, does Donald Trump or anyone who works for him. And therefore, I can predict confidently, right now, that what will happen - and what Trump expects and wants to happen - is a frenzy of self-serving deregulation, as people use the mandate as a reason to repeal the rules that they personally (or professionally) find inconvenient.

The problems thus created may take many years to come to light, by which time Trump and all his henchmen will have packed their things and retired to their bunkers, but America will be living with it for decades to come.

2. Mikel

Re: I like it

It is fun to think about this in theory. Which reminds me of an old joke:

Q: What's the difference between theory and practice?

A: In theory they're the same, but in practice they're different.

1. Mystic Megabyte
        Happy

Re: I like it @Mikel

My Father used to say that in theory ½ x ½ = ¼ but in practice it equals 1.

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Re: I like it @Mikel

Your Father the deity?

3. enormous c word

I like it too. Regulations are like code - every line of code is a potential vulnerability. Redundant code is especially vulnerable since it is no longer maintained and is poorly understood.

Every regulation represents a potential loop-hole - in the UK, the most outrageous TAX avoidance schemes take advantage of archaic laws, regulations and inconsistencies, they slowly get repealed, but in the meantime, 2 more loopholes are found.

This is a good idea. It's a shame that it has been tarnished by Trumps name and the hysterical-reactionary-anti-Trump response is that everything he says/does is bad. Law of averages says he will have a good idea once in a while.

1. phuzz Silver badge
        Facepalm

"I like it too. Regulations are like code - every line of code is a potential vulnerability."

So now imagine that the head of your company has now issued a directive that you have to remove two lines of code for every one you add. Sure, you can probably get through the next few weeks by combing through old code and picking out some redundancies, but soon enough you're going to run out of old lines of code that can be removed without breaking things.

Now do you understand why this is a silly idea?

1. Jess

Re: Now do you understand why this is a silly idea?

Does it prevent you updating old lines of code rather than adding new ones?

Certainly a better idea than his wall and muslim ban.

1. Tom Paine

Re: Now do you understand why this is a silly idea?

It specifically forbids that, so, yes.

2. maffski

'...you have to remove two lines of code... ...but soon enough you're going to run out of old lines of code that can be removed without breaking things.'

Refactor the low hanging fruit.

Now do you understand why this is a good idea?

Or, to put it another way. Does the US need a National Peanut Board that taxes everyone that farms peanuts? Does the EU require a regulation about which fruit can be turned into 'Jam'?

1. James 51

Yes.

3. enormous c word

@phuzz - so just leave all the old shit in there because it's easier to do nothing than to do something.

Thats why the US has so many gun deaths (28 mass shootings in first 30 days of 2017) because 'the right to bear arms' was written into the US constitution (in 1791 when a 'well regulated militia [was] necessary to the security of a free State') but never since repealed.

Still think repealing old archaic laws is a silly idea? On average ~8,000/yr dead US citizens might disagree.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Maybe an order to destroy two firearms for each new one sold could help? <G>

2. Tom Paine

I don't think anyone would claim there are no redundant regulations on the books, or stuff that makes no sense because times have moved on, and so on and so forth. However the two-for-one rule, as the grizzled veteran quoted in the piece says, shows roughly the level of understanding of a ten year old.

3. Al Black

I like it

The right to bear arms was intended to limit the power of Government: would-be tyrants fear an armed citizenry.

4. jelabarre59

because 'the right to bear arms' was written into the US constitution (in 1791 when a 'well regulated militia [was] necessary to the security of a free State') but never since repealed.

Because the Bill of Rights is not about granting people permission, but rather defining individually-held rights that the government is not allowed to tamper with. The BoR is about constraining government in places where it should rightfully be constrained.

Now, your bog-standard Congresscritter could serve a FAR better purpose by examining existing laws and having the deadwood repealed. And the overage of "regulations" is all about bureaucrats and non-elected civil servants protecting their phoney-baloney jobs (thank you for that one Gov. Lepetomane) rather than actually serving the needs of the people.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Now imagine that code is like government regulation - well bugger me, the code won't compile, won't run, demands near infinite resources, and cost a fortune to have a negative impact.

Comparison FAIL.

2. Graham Marsden
        Thumb Down

@enormous c word Re: I like it

> Regulations are like code - every line of code is a potential vulnerability.

And some code is just inconvenient, like salting and encrypting passwords or preventing buffer over/under flows or requirements for documentation or making regular backups etc.

Just like all those tedious requirements for consumer safety or public health or trading standards which stop businessmen from doing what the hell they like because those bleeding heart liberals have objected to children being poisoned by lead paint or landlords having to make their buildings safe to live in or that people should have some redress if a product is faulty or dangerous...

Sure, we can get rid of *loads* of those!

I'm sure Dilbert's PHB would think that Trump's idea is a good one too...

1. enormous c word

Re: @enormous c word I like it

@Graham Marsden

Honestly, I dont know about US law but there's plenty of ridiculous laws in the UK - 30 seconds on google found these:

- It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament

- It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down

- In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store

- Mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day

- In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter

- In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet

- It is illegal to remove a dead whale found on the British coast as it automatically becomes the property of the King / Queen (1322)

- It is against the law for anyone to fly a kite or slide on ice in the street (1839)

- It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing

- It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour (1313)

- In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow

- no person shall import into England potatoes which he knows to be or has reasonable cause to suspect to be Polish potatoes' (2004)

- it is illegal to carry a plank of wood along a pavement (1839)

- it is illegal to impersonate a Chelsea Pensioner

1. tiggity Silver badge

The UK dead whale rule is good as it increases chance that whale strandings get investigated (UK has special teams to investigate) and so aids science

As for pregnant women relieving themselves - pretty useful given lack of public loos these days - I'm guessing you have not chatted with many women about pregnancy? For a fair proportion frequent micturition can be a thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"...frequent micturition can be a thing"

and that is somehow different from when they aren't pregnant?

2. Graham Marsden

> 30 seconds on google found these:

And 10 seconds on google found this page:

"This informal document has been produced by the Law Commission’s Statute Law

Repeals team to answer some of the queries that they regularly receive about

alleged old laws. Most of the curiosities below have no basis in the law as it currently

stands, although a few represent the law as it used to be. This list does not purport to

be definitive, and readers should not rely on it without conducting their own research"

http://www.lawcom.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Legal_Oddities.pdf

Many of those "silly laws" cited are urban myths, others are fundamental misunderstandings of what the law actually said.

Yes, of the ones that existed, most if not all, have been repealed now, however simply saying "we're going to get rid of two regulations for every one introduced" does not mean that the ones being got rid of are bad ones, they may simply be inconvenient (for big businesses) whilst being very good for protecting the public from dangerous products or unscrupulous business practices.

3. Warm Braw

Every regulation represents a potential loop-hole

Take away all regulations and one giant loop-hole is what you're left with...

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"It's a shame that it has been tarnished by Trumps name "

It'll be even more tarnished by the time the lawyers get started on it.

Yeah, we REALLY need this new legislation because it will save childrens lives (and save business' money). But we really MUST get rid of these other two regulations 'cos of Presidential Order, but don't worry, they only cover citizens privacy and safety (and cost business' money) but the new one SAVES CHILDRENS LIVES.

4. Ron Luther

I can only assume that you have never read through documents like US federal regulations and attempted to enumerate or count the specific 'regulations'. I think you'll find that it takes quite a bit of [contentious] interpretation to count things. Many clauses and sections are intertwined and reference other sections of the document or even other documents.

While possibly well intentioned, in actuality this is a stupid idea that will only lead to stupider and more complex laws.

Example? Suppose we had a federal regulation preventing the dumping of toxic waste anywhere in the US. If we modify that regulation to allow toxic waste to be dumped at these two addresses: 725 5th Ave, New York, NY 10022 (Trump Tower NYC ) and 401 N. Wabash Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60611 (Trump Tower Chicago) ... any lawyer could argue that we have eliminated two regulations.

<sigh ?> Expect more silliness to ensue ...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> former aide to Reagan & Bush 1, described it as the "stupidest executive order in history."

Oh, please! This is like proclaiming "Film of the Year" in February. There are four more executive-order-making days in this week alone...

1. Colin Millar

Re: > former aide to Reagan & Bush 1, described it as the "stupidest executive order in history."

Yep - to paraphrase Homer Simpson - "the stupidest executive order in history ........ so far"

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: > former aide to Reagan & Bush 1, described it as the "stupidest executive order in history."

Give it time - I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Since what will happen in the future isn't part of history at the point of time the statement was made, it is correct. Proclaiming film of the year in February, if by 'year' meaning the current calendar year (and not the last 365 days) is another thing, as it explicitly includes part of the future.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, which two Executive Orders did trump revoke when he signed this new one?

I mean, it's almost like laws are only supposed to apply to *other* people...

More seriously, "reducing government regulation" requires careful thought and study and planning before it can actually be done. Trump is just signing a piece of paper with fairly meaningless words on it that will nevertheless stop other bits of government from doing its job. Then Trump is claiming "Mission Accomplished" on his campaign promise. That's Twitter-style presidency, going for a 140-character sound bite. Where's some action to actually solve the hard problem?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Again, this tRump is a turd and an idiot, so let him go crazy because; none of this nonsense effects me in any way. Look at those morons in Texas. They hate those pesky business safety regulations and such! A couple of years ago a chemical plant exploded and about 15 people were killed or just missing. And I stood up and applauded, just like I do whenever a toddler shoots their shithead parent who left out a gun! THAT explosion was a direct result of poo-pooing those "nasty regulations." They setup their own demise on the backs of "freedom." So, by all fucking means, everyone and everything that voted for tRump please disregard ALL SAFETY REGULATIONS and drive your stupid vehicles while NOT wearing any of those liberal safety belts! And leave out loaded guns for toddlers! Practice what you preach, and die, all at the same time, dumbfucks! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What pinheads!!1! I love watching morons fuck themselves over, or kill each other. Why not? It's what they're good at!

1. elDog

I'm glad you ran out of air on your rant!

Only because a reader can only absorb so much in a sitting.

However I think it was a mighty fine rant and there is so much more to append to it.

- Rump - do you know anything about living as a foreigner? Were your progenitors somehow miraculously conceived as US citizens?

- Rump - do you know anything about having to live on a normal wage? With normal family/housing obligations? Oh, I understand that you only got an initial $100,000,000 giftee from your loser father.

- Rump - why do you belittle others constantly. Yes, you are the bestest of the bestest, but don't you think anyone else has capabilities (other than those losers Bannon and Conway)?

- Rump - your crush on Putin - where did that come form? One bare-chested photo or a more intimate encounter? Or could it be because your boyfriend has some power over you?

- Rump - do you love being despised? Is this a turn-on? Why do repuglicans seem to gravitate to losers like you? (No, I understand you can't answer this one since you're not a loser repuglican and since they hate your guts.)

- Rump - how do you want your legacy to read? "My wife(s) loved me" or "My kids think being Rump-monsters is cool" or "I destroyed the best democracy on earth because I love myself the most"?

I can only hope that there is one moment of fleeting regret from you when you pass. There will be much rejoicing at that event.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm glad you ran out of air on your rant!

"I destroyed the best democracy on earth because I love myself the most"?

I think that's actually Trump's line, also because it contains "alternative facts": proclaiming the US to still be in any way, shape or form democratic is IMHO a rather cynical lie.

1. elDog

Agreed. However I'm still in a bit of a bubble. A bubble that is rapidly losing any sense of speciality or protection.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My, you DO have odd little sexual fantasy's about Trump. I think you secretly want to be tied up and abused with a feather by Trump dressed as a Brony.

The unhinged nature of the Trumpophobia is truly awe inspiring in its depths of the soul stupidity.

2. Bloodbeastterror

"They setup their own demise"

Apart from the poor spelling and grammar ("setup" is a noun; the verb is "set up") your use of unnecessary CAPITALS shows the paucity of your thought process.

But apart from that, you applaud the deaths of workers? The ones who had nothing whatsoever to do with repealing any health and safety measures? Shame on you. No wonder you posted as AC.

1. Terrance Brennan

I do not applaud the death of anyone; but, I see his original point. The buttheads who voted for Trump and howl with delight at cutting red tape and getting government out of their life are also the ones that will be most harmed. Texas and other "right-to-work" states that believe worker safety is a commie plot, the coal miners dying of black lung who can't get government assistance, etc. I don't applaud it; I find it sad and disheartening. These people are so stupid they really thought a billionaire from a millionaire family, who attended nothing but private, elite schools, and lives in walled compounds (or tall, walled off towers), who stiffs contractors and neighbors, was ever going to look out for their best interest.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, he probably chucked at least half a dozen of Obama's orders for this one.

3. Richard Plinston

> Trump is just signing a piece of paper with fairly meaningless words on it that will nevertheless stop other bits of government from doing its job.

No way. It will _tripple_ the number of legislators, lawyers, interns and others so that they can get the job done. Many more jobs for Americans! Yay!.

Of course _real_ Republicans want less government, Trump requires more.

4. James 51

remind me, what happened the last time a US president announced mission acomploshed with a big fanfair?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"remind me, what happened the last time a US president announced mission acomploshed with a big fanfair?"

IIRC, Mattel (?) had to recall the Dubya-in-a-flight-suit action figures.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, and that was truly fake news. It wasn't Bush's mission that was being announced, it was the Carrier he was visiting. Two years on station and a welcome return home for the crew.

That was the "Mission Accomplished".

Yet another Democrat Party talking point endlessly recycled as fake news, And you wonder why you got Trump...

4. Schultz
    Alert

The order will not apply to [...] military, national security, or foreign affairs

Now that's odd, don't they want the military and police run as efficiently as the rest of the government? Or do I sense a slight hesitation about the sensibility of this executive order?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The order will not apply to [...] military, national security, or foreign affairs

Reading between the lines, the order is intended to make business feel like they are getting something in return for lost revenue after being forced to return home while still sending a message to congress that they are continually screwing with peoples lives by passing new regs.

Most of the red tape in the military came from the military, not the hill. Makes sense to separate them out. NSA, etc. are a cluster anyway but even they are largely internal policy organizations as well.

5. Yes Me Silver badge
    Mushroom

When?

When's the impeachment hearing starting?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: When?

Don't get your hopes up. Congress is now controlled by the GOP and Trump is living, breathing epitome of everything they stand for.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't get your hopes up. Congress is now controlled by the GOP and Trump is living, breathing epitome of everything they stand for.

.. and he just sacked the AG for daring to tell him that his order was illegal. He now has a crony who is quite happy to ignore the Constitution and the law.

It's going to take decades to fix this mess - that is, if there's anything left and that looks to be far from certain now.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wrong again, the acting AG (an Obama appointee and a genuine grandstanding fuckwit) was properly sacked for insubordination and failing to act in a professional manner.

She tried to claim that the Justice Department should not defend the EO because she "felt" it was wrong; despite the Justice department defending Obama's actions many times before the courts and losing unanimously on frequent occasions because the actions were not just unlawful but morally unjustifiable as well.

The correct course of action would be to resign if she felt she could not support the EO in court as required. Instead she went full retard and grandstanded it.

Justifiably fired and should lose all pension rights as a minimum.

2. jake Silver badge

Simple answer: As soon as he steps on enough toes. I'm guessing before the end of February, at this rate. Unfortunately, his choice of VP is an even worse muppet ...

As a side note, anyone else catch the Chump administration blaming the protesting in airports on Delta Airline's difficulties? The mind absolutely boggles ...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

As soon as 51% of Repubicans think they will get more support from their campaign funders (sorry voters) by opposing him than supporting him

1. breakfast Silver badge
          Mushroom

What the Republicans might see is that his legacy is going to be so toxic that they will be tarnished by association for decades if they don't put a sharp stop to him. That is probably the quickest and easiest way for America to get out of this, although lets not forget that Mike Pence is Actual Satan and his version of the USA will be a kind of hell consequently, but it may at least feel a little more stable and predictable.

3. Mike Moyle

He'll be out when he gets as many as possible of the things that the Tea Party has been salivating for accomplished: eliminating taxes on the top 10% (because they're egalitarian that way!), privatizing Social Security/Medicare/the postal service, selling off public lands, etc. Then, when things inevitably go pear-shaped, they'll SUDDENLY find out that he's been colluding with Putin/enriching himself via Presidential decisions or something else that everyone else has been talking about for months.

Exit Trump, enter Pence, who is safely hyperconservative and will double down on whichever of Trump's actions he thinks he can get away with while blaming anything bad that happens on his watch on Trump's (and Obama's -- ALWAYS Obama's!) -- terrible decisions.

6. Palpy

Excellent news! At least for --

-- billionaires and their money.

Think of it: how many fair-wage regulations can be thrown out? Two for one!

How many worker safety regulations can be thrown out? Two for one!

How many liability-and-damages regulations can be thrown out? Ditto!

And so on. The perception that some Americans have of Trump as setting out to help the working class is really, really bass-ackwards. Look at his pick for Secretary of Labor: a billionaire who hates overtime regulations, hates sick leave, thinks the minimum wage is baloney, and if he could he would -- as stated in a March 2016 interview -- replace all of his workers with machines.

Under Trump, the American worker had best hold on tight to his ankles, because his donkey is about to get the treatment. No lube.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: Excellent news! At least for --

> hates overtime regulations, hates sick leave, thinks the minimum wage is baloney

Yes, but think of the advantages: US companies won't need to go overseas to get cheap labour!

(if anyone wants such a job).

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Actually you end up three worse off.

The two he throws out and then some bass-ackwards regulation that does even more damage. Trump really is generating work for America (although only 4-8 years from now).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The perception that some Americans have of Trump as setting out to help the working class is really, really bass-ackwards"

Economically, sure, but the metropolitan Democrats have done everything they can to alienate the American white working class in recent years. They calculated that they could win with urban coalitions of students and ethic groups, so they don't need the rustbelt votes. And Democrats really seemed to like insulting them. ("Check your privilege" etc). The Democrats wished the white Midwest could just hurry up and die, but it looks like they didn't die off quickly enough.

Trump is a disaster but he's the Democrats' fault. Now the world is stuck with him.

The irony being that he might do something stupid enough to really damage the Republican name and keep them out of power for a generation.

If the democrats can paint them as Republican policies rather than Trump policies.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ Yet Another Anonymous coward

"The irony being that he might do something stupid enough to really damage the Republican name and keep them out of power for a generation."

That wont be a good thing unless the democrats offer up good choices, and if they have no competition they wont. This time around they had a mediocre president (Obama) but thought themselves so invincible that they tried to dictate the choice and only toward the end realised they had stepped on too many people. I very much doubt that Trump got in for his stunning views and amazing policy proposals, he was just the least detested.

Considering Trump had both the republicans and democrats against him I would suggest he was a signal that the others were too similar. Having both sides offering choice and allowing people to choose would probably be a better idea.

>That wont be a good thing unless the democrats offer up good choices,

They probably don't need to - demographics are on their side.

When they are in the situation where they can already win the popular vote with zero white support then they only need to wait for a swing of Republican leaning (but Trump offended) Asian/Latino voters and the continual depopulation of the midwest.

Then the GOP end up like labour losing Scotland - it's almost impossible for them to win, however poor the opposition. If the Dems can ever get a vote for Washington DC there would never be another GOP win.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ Yet Another Anonymous coward

I wasnt saying they couldnt, just that it would be terrible for the US. Letting either side run off unchallenged would be devastating. Personally I hope Trumps election forces both parties to offer more variety of candidates and lets the people choose.

2. Tom Paine

Do something really stupid - what, you mean, like enabling a known fascist to effective stage a coup and take over the government?

You heard they're ignoring court decisions as a point of policy, right?

The only thing that can stop him now is the military staging a counter-coup.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You got it wrong Tom, the "known Fascist" has just LEFT the White House.

That lying sack of shit called Obama is gone, you should rejoice.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry, Obama did more to screw up this country than you junior communists in England understand.

Trump is a truly refreshing change to the lies and deception of Obama and Clinton.

Two for one on regulations is a real boon to the working man. We still have civil war era blue laws that can easily be removed by the Trump administration. Let alone all the illegal gender and immigration claptrap that Obama tried to stick us with.

You poor fools are just dumbfounded that he is actually keeping his word, something very foreign to a liberal. AND doing it a speed that means all of Obama's "legacy" will be useless history in just a couple of months. Oh, and while I'm at it, so will your precious "Black Lies" and your clownish DemonRat politicians. The Rule of Law will supersede your "feelings" and we will get down to business. No more Sanctuary Cities, no more unruly protestors, no more unfunded liberal mandates, no more special rules for the liberals.

You snowflakes are about to see the greatest warming period known to humanity and ALL caused by your arrogance!

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"The Rule of Law will supersede your "feelings" and we will get down to business. No more Sanctuary Cities, no more unruly protestors, no more unfunded liberal mandates, no more special rules for the liberals."

That was funny!

Nice satire! You really captured how mad the Trumpians are!

7. Uncle Ron

Donald Trump is clinically insane. A significant portion (not all) of those who voted for him are also clinically insane. The rest are morons. The people he is bringing in to dangerous positions of power are incompetent and/or corrupt. Or insane. Donald Trump must be removed from office. He is not fit to be President. He is not fit to be at liberty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Donald Trump is clinically insane. A significant portion (not all) of those who voted for him are also clinically insane. The rest are morons

That just proves you can sell anything to people if you market it right. It also confirms that in the US literally anyone can become President, even those who really, really do not belong in that position.

1. Stoneshop

Well, once again

"To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

After All...

you liberal snowflakes sold us Obama. If that wasn't damaged goods....

2. Tom Paine

clinically insane

Close, but no cigar. He probably* has Narcissistic Personality Disorder , which is a PD not a psychosis. The difference is probably academic to the protestors who are going to get shot down in the streets**, but there you go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

* some other possibilities: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/donald-trump-mental-illness-narcisissm-us-president-psychologists-inauguration-crowd-size-paranoia-a7552661.html

** I know, I know, it sounds like hysterical paranoia, doesn't it? Wait and see. I'm happy to be downvoted like crazy if that hasn't happened by, let's say, 31st Dec 2018.

PS @pwnallthethings - ex GCHQ - and @krypt3ia are good follows. @roguePOTUSstaff is interesting, because although there's a persuasive linguistic analysis that suggests the authors are Russian, they seem to know a remarkable amount of inside info before it's public...

8. CBarTech

Less regulataion? How dreadful!

Seriously, considering the number of businessmen and women, who will be running the departments in this administration, I think this might just make doing business in America a pretty good deal. The taxes and regulations have smothered business, sending them scampering away to other countries with lower taxes and regs. so how to bring them back? Oh, my, maybe we can do what Obama did and tax them more, add more regulations, that will teach those greedy corporations! What? That didn't work? Geez, go figure! Stupid companies want lower taxes and less regulation, then what? Oh, maybe America has come back to her senses. Maybe, just maybe, we can come home, hire American workers, grow our companies and succeed in own own Country, what a novel idea.

What next? Maybe he can make them eliminate two tax laws for every one they create, might actually make our 60,000 + page tax code a bit more manageable....but what is the fun in that?

Re: Less regulataion? How dreadful!

Lets start with the FAA.

Why do I have to take turns on the runway like some bunch of socialists?

I say whoever doesn't blink gets the take-off

1. frank ly

Right of way at traffic junctions shall be determined by the exchange of small arms fire.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What? If no regulations, I'll mount 20mm guns on the airplane... but is still valid the Bush tax deduction for buying airplanes?

2. Stoneshop
          Devil

Right of way at traffic junctions shall be determined by the exchange of small arms fire.

Just like in most other banana republics.

1. lglethal Silver badge

"Right of way at traffic junctions shall be determined by the exchange of small arms fire."

Ahhh the LA System...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You saw what happened when Clinton and Summers deregulated banks - you got the worst crisis from 1929 and instead of keeping it there, you kindly exported it worldwide.

If less regulation means workers in the US will get the same happy jobs of China or Vietnam ones, good luck... but after all Trump promised more jobs in the US, but never said they would be safe and well paid ones.

Also, the tax code was made complicated to allow people like Trump avoid to pay taxes (one of the reasons he didn't disclose his tax records...), it will be fun if it will be simplified, and there will be far less ways for his and his friends to avoid taxes... but if I were you, I wouldn't bet on it...

9. J.G.Harston Silver badge

"The proposed order would .... force "wholesale changes" to their business model."

Shock horror, they may have to actually TRAIN THEIR OWN STAFF!!!!!

10. Brenda McViking
    Thumb Up

Wish someone would have the balls to do this in the UK.

The code of Federal Regulations was 71,224 pages in 1975 to 178,277 at the end of 2015. No wonder an advisor to Reagan and Bush is complaining - they're undoing all of those lovely rules he likes to impose on other people!

Regulations have their place, but too many of them stifle innovation. Look at F1 - they put in so many rules that they had to race based on tyres. I don't know about you but I think the rulebook should be capable of being learnt by an average Joe in under 6 months. With 178,277 pages to get through, he doesn't have a hope in hell unless he can get through 978 pages a day. Particularly when they effectively could be boiled down to don't harm your neighbour or the environment too much, if you're messing with peoples lives you'd better do it safely, and play fair. Have that on the regulatory rulebook and use the courts as the acid test.

Rather than you know, letting anyone who works in a government office and has an opinion mandating that horseless carriages shall have a top speed of 2mph and be preceeded by a man carrying a red flag. Governments love regulations - it makes them feel important, gives them carte blanche to hire lots of inspectors and bureaucrats (job creation, yay!) and they pay for it using your money through higher taxes. What's not to love?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thus you mean the world is not more complex than it was in 1975? Part of the regulations are due to the word around us becoming far more complex. Others because many industries are utterly unable to self-regulate and are very willingly to harm or kill people for a bunch of more dollars. And when you or your dear ones are dead, or severely damaged, you may care little about what a court *after* says.

Would you like to work in a production line with the safety rules of 1975? Live in a building built just to maximize profits without following proper rules, maybe in an earthquakes area? Or live nearby a chemical plant without modern safety checks in place? I live not far away from a place where a dramatic accident happened in the 1970s - and which lead to improved regulations.

Or keep in your pocket a Li-Ion battery made without any regulation? And why don't load boxes and boxes of them on your plane? After all, in 1975 they didn't exist.

While is true there could be some regulations that should be revised or eliminated, a childish bulk approach "two-for-one!" is utterly stupid and just looks like propaganda.

11. StatsBoy

Man, this sounds exactly like the level of crazy heard round the world when Regan entered the Presidency. I was a teen then, but remember thinking "anyone pissing off this many people in power can't be all bad." Besides, when the same people who lauded the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to the President who authorized drone killing of US Citizens without trial start lecturing on the Constitution...thanks, I'll pass.

Anyway, last year nearly 100,000 pages were added to the Federal Registry. That's one year. 3800 regulations. None of them by elected officials. (I know, Congress has oversight but I can count on one hand how many regulations I can remember Congress rolling back). All hold the force of law. There's no way a citizen could know them all. And ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Of course Trump is doing this in a ham-fisted way. He feeds on pissing people off. IF you can't see that by now, you aren't paying attention. But the goal is good and reasonable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

+1

It is the old RayGun and the Iron Chemist romance all over again. Just the characters are more insane and uglier too.

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Just explain to me how this is going to work in practice?

"ok, this urgent new legislation is now ready to be implemented. Now we just have to find two arbitrary laws that we can get rid of. Just any two, ffs! What's the procedure to get rid of them..? Sh*t, this is gonna take some time.."

Perhaps the same rule should apply to executive orders? That actually would have helped at this moment in time.

12. Neil Barnes Silver badge

If this goes on...

Am I the only one who's been thinking for weeks "Nehemiah Scudder"?

1. bobbear
      Mushroom

Re: If this goes on...

Re: "If this goes on...

Am I the only one who's been thinking for weeks "Nehemiah Scudder"?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nehemiah Scudder, yes, a good fictional parallel, but I am getting much more disquieting thoughts about another factual rabble-rousing, cult of personality, insane lunatic that promised to make his country great again in Germany in the 1930's

It's started already. "The lawyers disagree with my bestest policies ever (fact) - sack the lawyers!"

Next it will be: "The press disagree with my bestest policies ever (fact) - close down the media apart from one government controlled organisation!" and so the drift towards disaster goes on...

Why are people dumb enough to follow hollow promise, visionless, pitiful examples of humankind such as this that are leading them on a path to disaster and for whom history is a closed book?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why are people dumb enough to follow hollow promise, visionless, pitiful examples of humankind such as this that are leading them on a path to disaster and for whom history is a closed book?

Ah, but that is the net result of treating education as anything but an investment in the nation's future. Make it expensive so only the privileged have access and voilà, enough workers that will do anything you throw at them via mass media. The fact that that (a) screws over the nation's future and (b) ironically requires a lot of foreign talent to keep things running is inconsequential - by the time the herd realises that you're long gone.

"Make it expensive so only the privileged have access and voilà, enough workers that will do anything you throw at them via mass media. The fact that that (a) screws over the nation's future and (b) ironically requires a lot of foreign talent to keep things running is inconsequential"

And the UK is going down this elitist, sure-to-backfire route as well. Tuition fees..

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: If this goes on... / education

"learn to unlearn" - Scarfolk Council

2. Bloodbeastterror

America in a nutshell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E

13. Rainer

It's not a bad idea

Laws need judges, lawyers, policemen etc.

The more laws, the more people.

Surely, you can't advocate to just let grow any government ad infinitum?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Politician Does What He Was Elected to Do! Shock!

It is amusing to read the (il)liberal (un)elite getting their frilly knickers in a twist because a politician said he was going to do it, got elected because he said he was going to do it, and then did it.

I can understand why all you Obama-bots (including, shame on you, El Reg) would get upset at that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/obama-will-close-guantanamo-bay-1021731.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Politician Does What He Was Elected to Do! Shock!

Nobody's upset, we're just gob-smacked by the yuge scale of the stupidity.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Politician Does What He Was Elected to Do! Shock!

My frilly knickers are none of your business.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When The Register will be among the top sites you visit...

,,,, you will be of course denied entry in the US - if you still wish to go there after a few more "orders"...

1. frank ly

Re: When The Register will be among the top sites you visit...

Will they think it's suspicious that I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Of course. How could they track what you do and what you think? And of course you're not following the Twitterump... so you're a bad guy, obviously.

2. Stoneshop
        Black Helicopters

Will they think it's suspicious that I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account?

You can't be a Real Person (and neither am I).

16. Graham Hawkins

What else do you expect from a glorified hotel manager?

More 'Fawlty Towers' than 'Night Manager' then?

1. James 51
      Joke

Re: What else do you expect from a glorified hotel manager?

Hotel Calaforina, but in reverse.

1. Stoneshop
        Terminator

Hotel Carly Fiorina?

'Farty Towels'

(Smeg, now I'm going to have the theme music in my head for the rest of the day...)

17. Potemkine Silver badge

"stupidest executive order in history."

For now, wait till next week.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trumps orders starts to look like fatwas...

... and I'm not surprised at all. Like often happens with people like this, they are not different from their enemies...

1. davenewman

Re: Trumps orders starts to look like fatwas...

China stagnated when Mao had political commisars in every organization, enforcing ideology over practical people like science and engineering.

Trump and Bannon are now putting commisars into every agency, forcing them to follow public opinion rather than reality.

So expect a serious economic decline in the USA.

1. nematoad
        Unhappy

"Trump and Bannon are now putting commisars into every agency, forcing them to follow public opinion rather than reality."

I'm not sure that it is public opinion, just look at all the marches and protests to see that. No, to my mind it's more the echo chamber reflecting back the message that they want to hear.

And at the risk of violating Godwin's law it does look like the start of a very slippery slope.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's also what happened and still is happening in his friend Putin's country - which is basically leaving out of natural resources and still unable to create a real working economy, despite the availability of workforce and space available. Or look at Venezuela.

When blind loyalty to the leader is valued above skill and competencies, what could the outcome be?

19. RobertD
    Pirate

How Long...

Until he declares himself Emperor Trump, in the interests of keeping the American people safe of course. For examples, see Napoleon and Palpatine.

1. James 51
      Pirate

Re: How Long...

With gerrymandering, voter suppression laws and deigning entry to people who are unlikely to vote for a particular party, it won’t be long until America is effectively an 'elected' dictatorship.

20. Sanguma

Cut the bozo some slack

so he can get and hang himself all the quicker.

I thought that the Strugatsky Brothers take on regulations and decrees and directives in Snail on a Slope was particularly apt: after Alevtina seduces Pepper (Peretz) and he awakes to find himself a Director, and rages against the idiocy of the directives he is supposed to sign into law, Alevtina informs him that the purpose of government is to issue directives, and if he doesn't, government will come crashing down.

This new 1/3 regulation won't have any effect on regulations in general. If anything, the lesser the number for Trump's bumchums, the more there will be for the little guy, the battler who's struggling to make ends meet, the Mom-n-Pop stores ...

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: Cut the bozo some slack

so he can get and hang himself all the quicker.

It's tempting to think that way, sit back and watch it implode.

The trouble is that it might not implode, may reach a tipping point after which there's no way back and you have missed your chance.

And, even if it does implode, it's a tough old route back to where you were with no guarantee you will get back there.

That applies to brexit and the rise of 'populist fascism' in Europe as much as it does Trump.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's another view

All of us can at least agree that after Frump (Fucking, Foolish, Funny, Frivolous - choose your own prefix) ascendency, we all have got a lot to talk about and endless entertainment for coming 4 years at least. He is also going to become a cartoonist's wet dream.Whats not to like?

Makes a refreshing change form the Mundane British press opinions from Daily Fails and Torygraphs and and what the Beckham's distant neice had for breakfast last week !

Re: Here's another view

"He is also going to become a cartoonist's wet dream.Whats not to like?"

It could be that part where one realises that it's all for real, perhaps?

You know, many people affected.

U.S.A being a pariah in the world.

And so on. It's only been a week or so, so there is probably more to come.

So, no, not a joke.

2. Bloodbeastterror

"What's (sic) not to like?"

Well, you could start by thinking about the podgy finger hovering over the red button. Two of the most powerful people in the world are narcissistic sociopathic alpha males with huge military forces and arsenals. What can possibly go wrong? Next time there's a Bay of Pigs, would you genuinely, hand on heart, rather have the intellectual statesman Obama or the laughable make-it-up-as-I-go-along buffoon?

I fear for my children's world...

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Bloodbeastterror

I fear for what little will be left of my children's world...

FTFY

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

We have to ask ourselves -

What kind of world are we leaving for Keith Richards ?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

_

EIGHT years. MAGA !

22. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Sweepstake time ...

How long before he stands too close to a grassy knoll?

1. Afernie

Re: Sweepstake time ...

"How long before he stands too close to a grassy knoll?"

Sadly Trump's behaviour seems to disprove Bill Hicks' theory about what happens to new Presidents on their first day:

"I have this feeling that whoever is elected president, like Clinton was, no matter what you promise on the campaign trail when you win, you go into this smoke-filled room with the twelve industrialist capitalist scum-f***s who got you in there. And you're in this smoky room, and this little film screen comes down … and a big guy with a cigar goes, "Roll the film." And it's a shot of the Kennedy assassination from an angle you've never seen before … that looks suspiciously like it's from the grassy knoll. And then the screen goes up and the lights come up, and they go to the new president, "Any questions?" "Er, just what my agenda is." "First we bomb Baghdad." "You got it …""

Or maybe they did that and he's too stupid or insane to comply.

1. John G Imrie

Actually they did that and Trump replied

'Take a look at this spreadsheet I had prepared', which shows how fast the value of the twelve's investments would fail if Trump was assassinated, 'You where saying?'

Re: Sweepstake time ... / Bill Hicks' theory

There is a third possibility you didn't mention: he is one of the 12.

(BTW, why 12?)

1. Afernie
          Alien

Re: Sweepstake time ... / Bill Hicks' theory

"There is a third possibility you didn't mention: he is one of the 12.

(BTW, why 12?)"

Bill Hicks was heavily into UFOs and conspiracy theories, so if I had to guess, he's referencing MAJESTIC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_12

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

I was having a conversation with someone about this very topic last night, and as a result I resolved to head down to the bookie's today to enquire about odds on an assassination. Bit of a fruitless effort, as apparently none of the ones I can find will take bets on that, but for what it's worth some were offering around even money on him not making it through his first term in full. That one covers all eventualities though, including impeachment, resignation and knoll-related de-craniumification

23. codejunky Silver badge

Hmm

This is a good idea but for applying it to a bureaucracy. The purpose of such administration being to increase the amount of administration and grow the bureaucracy. I hope this works but the bureaucracy is like a living organism. It consumes to grow as large as it can and will do anything it can to survive.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

_

It is a great policy for a bloated bureaucracy -- too bad the unemployed hipster libtards lack the real-world work experience to appreciate it. Sad!

1. Afernie

Re: _

Donald, is that you?

25. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

Lets look at the bright side

Lets hope he has overestimated the stupidity of the American people, he has after all overestimated his own intelligence huugly. Came to think of it have you ever met or heard of even one intelligent person boosting about how intelligent they are (apart from Idi Amin). My advice would be to challenge his physical fitness and get him out running.

Re: Lets look at the bright side

"Lets hope he has overestimated the stupidity of the American people"

It seems that this is a very hard thing to do!

Re: Lets look at the bright side

"Come to think of it have you ever met or heard of even one intelligent person boosting about how intelligent they are (apart from Idi Amin)."

Good point.

Any volunteers to check the freezer at the White House?

26. Scary Biscuits

It worked for Maggie

Overcomplicating government, making it out to be rocket science, was always just an excuse for inaction by ineffective politicians, unable to bend the bureaucracy to their will.

Mrs Thatcher had exactly the same rule when Geoffrey Howe was Chancellor. Worked pretty well for them.

27. Paul Herber Silver badge

I took me a while to realise who Potus is. Now, can someone tell me who Doofus is? Are they a double-act?

28. Kaltern

Batman.

We just need Batman to remove the bad guy.

29. Eddy Ito
    Meh

Big deal. It just means new regs will have the word "and" used a lot more.

Yup, tomorrow some bright spark will say "I found a regulation that requires filing form X to do action A and another regulation that requires filing form Y. I'll clean it up by writing one regulation that says to do action A one needs to file forms X, Y, and Z with a single filing fee of $2,000 instead of individual filing fees of $500."

Yeah, the only thing this might do is consolidate some of the hoops that need jumping through in a single place. It may certainly be an improvement but don't think for a second that fewer regulations means fewer hoops.

1. Tom Paine

Big deal. It just means new regs will have the word "and" used a lot more.

I'm afraid they thought of that, and it's specifically banned.

30. creepy gecko
    Facepalm

Repealing old and unused legislation is fine, but Trump's executive order sounds almost like a supermarket BOGOF offer. The man is not fit to be President.

Someone needs to do the right thing and take the pen out of Trump's hand. Problem solved.

1. LaeMing
      Go

Take the 'pen' out of his hand?

Or did you mean 'crayon'?

31. Tom 7

I'd imagine this red-tape is the sort of thing

that says 'dont pour boiling hot coffee down over your clothes' and 'make sure this device is earthed' and 'dont dry towels on this heater' only on a national level.

32. dan 41

interesting a british publication complaining about a law that has been in effect in the UK for years.

i don't have a link but read it saved over 800m euros per year for businesses.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/2010-to-2015-government-policy-business-regulation/2010-to-2015-government-policy-business-regulation

33. Mark C 2

@Brenda Viking

So Joe Public should be able to get a basic understanding of all the regulations that cover: manufacturing, construction, power generation and supply, land title, pharmaceuticals, medicine, commerce, social care, welfare, emigration, immigration, education, forestry and game, wildlife, agriculture, defense, import, exports, legal, automotive, border control, research, tax, entertainment, employment, communication, transport, finance, environment, intellectual property...and a whole bunch of other stuff, at the Federal level. In 6 months. Seriously?

I am sure there are regulations that can be reduced, consolidated or even cut but the number required, just to keep people safe, is huge. Never mind about industry practices, standards, guidance, etc.

34. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

If each order were given a reference n (n starting at 1) ...

...and for each n would be allowed to create...

1/(n) + 1/(n+1) + 1/(n+2) ...

...orders, then surely that would be ok, wouldn't it?

1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ...

...what could be the problem with that?

35. EUbrainwashing

The most dangerous superstition

A more pragmatic solution still will be to end the belief in the legitimacy and necessity of the cult of government, the cult belief in the state, itself.

36. Brian Allan 1

What does one expect from a cartoon president!? You couldn't possibly expect reasonable executive orders...

37. Texasrocketman

Really? A glorified hotel manager?

I would take the business acumen and rapid actions of President Trump anyday over those of Barack Obama - the glorified community organizer in chief.

Obama will easily go down as among the worst presidents of all time, being very ineffective in both foreign and domestic policy, while implementing business killing policies that spurred one of the most anemic growth rates in US history.

Trump is shaking things up and it will be for the better.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: Really? A glorified hotel manager?

> I would take the business acumen and rapid actions of President Trump

Only if you want to have bankruptcies.

> Trump is shaking things up and it will be for the better.

It will be much better for the Trump businesses* and family, It will be much worse for the rest of the population.

* Why those particular 7 countries? He has business dealing in the others, the ones that the terrorists actually come from. Why the oil pipelines? He has shares in the parent companies.

38. Goopy

I have sent word to all my foreign friends to get busy and start making fake accounts and use burner phones when you come to the United States get a different phone number for your permanent residence here

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like