back to article If USA wants a say in 5G, Cisco HAS to buy Ericsson

Results from Ericsson this week will have all of us pundits reaching for just how the Swedish telecoms giant is going to survive the continual onslaught from China’s Huawei. How long will it be before it needs to be acquired and why Cisco needs to be the acquirer. Since Ericsson’s revenues began sliding, we have done this …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That cat...

That cat looks like someone interrupted it while it was licking its bollocks. On top of the American flag.

One of the most apt depictions of American policy making in the current climate...

1. admiraljkb

Re: That cat...

I was thinking it looks like a "Briitsh Blue" laying on the US flag. Decidedly chuckle worthy. Hopefully The Register's staff put that in on purpose as an in plain sight hidden joke? :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

Cisco kit is made in Mexico. The wall will screw the supply chain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

Used to be. The low-to-mid range is mostly Foxconn nowdays.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Then anti-China sentiment will screw THAT.

2. admiraljkb

"Made in Mexico"? No. A couple of years ago, the final assembly was in Mexico which then gets it a legal "Made In" badge for NAFTA purposes, and a lot of that assembly was in Foxconn facilities... I'm not sure about the current manufacturing situation.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointing article

Nothing wrong with the premise, but not particularly well argued. Why Ericsson and not Nokia?

El Reg should have demanded some actual insights (maybe based on some on- or off-the record discussions with people from AT&T, Verizon, FCC, CFIUS, etc) before accepting the article for publication.

1. JetSetJim

Re: Disappointing article

> Nothing wrong with the premise, but not particularly well argued. Why Ericsson and not Nokia?

Because Nokia only has a presence in USA with its purchase of ALU (hence inheriting presence based on ALU kit in the field, which would be very expensive to completely replace, in the RAN at least, therefore it needs to continue supporting it and, I presume, the roadmap that kit was sold with), whereas Ericsson has a well established relationship. Nokia has a poor reputation in USA, for whatever reason, despite this purchase and also the previous acquisition of Motorola Wireless (which also had presence in USA, but not much of a reputation, and it didn't do Nokia any good anyway!)

1. admiraljkb

agreeing with JetSetJim for his reasons, but will add what might be a bigger one: Ericsson has pretty big corporate operations already in the US. They may not be a US company, but they employ a lot of US citizens already.

1. JetSetJim

> agreeing with JetSetJim for his reasons, but will add what might be a bigger one: Ericsson has pretty big corporate operations already in the US. They may not be a US company, but they employ a lot of US citizens already.

How else do you think they got the gig? Just like operating in China - need to have a big presence to get the big contracts

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5G Cloud based, Managed Software RF processing doesn't have borders.

One of the principles of 5G is many more, simpler, smaller RF cells, where RF processing isn't done on local standalone dedicated hardware located at the mast, but managed centrally in the cloud, to reduce firmware/maintenance costs.

Is Trump planning ring fenced localised to US, processing of such data too? Could be tough to enforce in terms of Global companies - Google etc.

The companies to be watching here are Facebook with its open standards, its Switches and huge processing power. Their next move will be 5G Cloud based RF signal processing.

1. kmac499

Re: 5G Cloud based, Managed Software RF processing doesn't have borders.

Donald don't need no frigging foreign 5G network. Twitter works perfectly well on 3G.

All Hail El Douché

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have an upvote for "El Douché " :)

1. kmac499

I can't claim origin on it, I saw meme style mashups photos comparing the originall Duce and Douche. (aka the Donald)I just made it a bit more err Spanish.

I'm just waiting for the first Air Traffic Controller outsde the US to welcome Donald with

"Hair Force One, clear to land, beware crosswinds"

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How about 'cheeto in chief' ?

2. JetSetJim

> Twitter works perfectly well on 3G.

Twitter was designed with SMS in mind, so 2G would also be fine

5. Porco Rosso

Naivety agianst Chinese mercantilisme ...

" Huawei, which has Chinese government support and gains the lion’s share of Chinese contracts "

Like Chinese steel and aluminium etc etc

Promoting open market without strict control if we play by the same rules (like here in Europe) is stupidly naive and destroying allot of wealth creation...

And so the losers ( common people like me and you ) will go for politics who sings songs of the virtue of closed market ...

Yep in the Western World we are now at this point I guess ....

6. Your alien overlord - fear me

Look at Ericsson's shareholders. Over 50% owned by Swedish corporations. Another 9% by Swedish retailers (whatever that means). I doubt they'd want their local company to do a "Nokia" (brought by yanks then closed down effectively with all the unemployment that comes with it).

7. Cheesenough
    Paris Hilton

What if Huawei builds an American factory?

Is there anything to stop Huawei building a US warehouse and employing a few dozen 'muricans to screw the boxes together. GE Appliances for instance are owned by a Chinese parent company and churn out fridges "Produced in USA" (i.e. screwed together from components sourced from Mexico and China) http://www.goedekers.com/blog/ge-appliances-made/

OK, fridges are less sensitive to arguments about the security of national infrastructure, but I'm not sure that politicians think that far ahead when the promise of a new factory and jobs for Americans in their state are on the line.

1. admiraljkb

Re: What if Huawei builds an American factory?

"OK, fridges are less sensitive to arguments about the security of national infrastructure..."

hehe, USED to be less sensitive. How about the "Internet/IoT" enabled ones? :) Yeah, that starts to get interesting.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: What if Huawei builds an American factory?

It is absolutely essential that the nation's beer is kept cold!

(Can't drink it otherwise...)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Add to Ericssons troubles an utterly incompetent board of directors, and a recent, new CEO who refuses to move to sweden and wants to work remotely from the US. Doesn't look good at all. On top of that, sweden is one of the most expensive countries in the world when it comes to hiring people due to all the taxes, so compared with the chinese, employing swedish people in sweden is not a winning strategy.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Taxes are high, yes. But salaries are not high.

Compared to many countries Sweden can still be fairly competitive when it comes to high skilled tech jobs. There is a very solid university and research world underpinning the tech industry in Sweden.

There is a vast cultural difference between Sweden and USA when it comes to industry. The only possible benefactor of a purchase of Ericsson would be the Americans, who will strip it of intellectual property and leave it to wither away.

ANY other solution would be much better for the Swedes -even breaking up Ericsson and discarding unprofitable segments.

9. dajames
    Headmaster

Oh yes, and there is ZTE, which lags Huawei ...

So ... you're saying ... ZTA wraps insulating material around Huawei to prevent heat loss (and possible freezing)?

Or did you mean "... there is ZTE, which lags behind Huawei ...", which might be interpreted differently?

English is a wonderfully flexible language, and you can get away with a lot of constructions that should never see the light of day .. but don't overdo it, OK?

10. Mage Silver badge

Curiously the USA used to have Motorola

Networks to Nokia

IP to Google

Handsets to China (Was it Lenovo?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like