back to article PS4 Pro woes: Random display blackouts caught on camera

A video of the PlayStation 4 blackout has been captured by a Register reader, shedding more light on the console's mysterious display failures. Reg reader John made the video, in which he captured footage of him turning his TV off and on to show there is no link between the telly's own power routines and the console's. "It is …

1. MJI Silver badge

One question

Was the capture video on the PS4 fine, or did that glitch as well?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One question

I can tell you that the in game capture shows no drop, when it does capture the issue.

Sometimes you find that this crashes broadcasts and resets the share timer clock so you cannot capture the audio and display glitches from the PSVR headset.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: One question

Thanks

That is interesting.

As my TV is only full HD PS4 launch day is fine for me

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never had a single problem. PS4 Pro working perfectly here.

I suspect this is a handful of owners making alot of noise, and a slow news day reporting it.

1. jnemesh

Re: Never had a single problem. PS4 Pro working perfectly here.

Good for you! I myself have had this issue with the PS4 Pro console connected DIRECTLY to my Samsung UN65KS8000. With or without VR connected.

2. King Jack
      Facepalm

Because Sony only made one console and you happen to own it. Muppet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The muppet of course is the one that believes internet "news" like this, without anything other than a forum thread to back it up.

The sooner companies for sue for defamation on crap like this the better as far as I am concerned. it might raise the level of tech "journalism" out of the gutter.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

"The muppet of course is the one that believes internet "news" like this, without anything other than a forum thread to back it up."

There appears to be video evidence backing it up.

1. Deltics

Video evidence ? Pah. This dude has alternative facts on his side.

2. eldakka
          Flame

The sooner you get a clue and actually understand what does and does not constitute defamation and stop throwing around words you think make you look intelligent, but obviously have no understanding of the better.

It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Too late for you I guess.

3. gypsythief

Re: Never had a single problem...

And neither did millions of Samsung Note 7 owners, who used their phondle slabs happily day after day.

The same can not be said of the unfortunate few...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/09/florida_man_burned_by_samsung/

If you are fortunate, try being thankful instead of snarky.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Never had a single problem. PS4 Pro working perfectly here."

I had the Xbox 360. Never had a problem. The RROD failures were fabricated by Sony fans. And my Ford Pinto never burst to flames when rear-ended - I hear that rumor originated from GM.

3. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

An Alternative Explanation

It could be the steam coming out of your ears or is that smoke? It could also be your negative aura and if so also explain many of your other difficulties........Tibetan chants works for some.

4. aidanstevens

Obvious answer

He's holding it wrong

5. Dugstor

Suffering that very same issue.

Unfortunately, having that very same issue myself, both the PSVR & television are subject to fleeting blackouts. Annoying on the television & horribly disorienting whilst in virtual reality.

6. FrankAlphaXII

I had issues with the PS3's HDCP to that point that HDMI wasn't usable on my old one with any Vizio TV. Worked fine on any other manufacturer's but not Vizio for some reason.

Magically when I bought a PS3 slim, it worked just fine. I've owned a PS4 Pro since it came out, and I've had no issues with it, but I don't doubt that there are HDMI issues with Sony products.

1. Planty Bronze badge
      FAIL

Lol vizio TV..... You still seem to think it's the PlayStation fault that your supermarket shite TV didn't work. Why didn't you phone vizio support, oh, there is no support....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had the same issue on both original PS4 and PS4 Pro. It turned out to be the HDMI cable. Tried a few I had lying around and same problem occurring with each. So bought one of Amazon's 'basic' ones and haven't seen the issue since.

8. Domix

Think i'm having the same problems

Got a PS4 Pro and PSVR. Not noticed any problems on the TV (pioneer 1080p) but sometimes when using the VR headset everything goes blank with an error message showing HDMI not connected-then a few seconds later fixes itself. not happened enough to bother me too much but seems there's an issue somewhere

9. jakseth

same issue here

i have the same issue here, sony 4k tv ps4 pro ps vr. But it happens very rarely for me, about once every 2 , 3 days and less than a second each time. not a big deal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon