back to article Solaris 11.next plan brings continuous delivery of OS upgrades

Oracle has released a little more detail about the future of its Solaris operating system, after last week suddenly revealing a planned version 12 would be canned. In a new post, the company says “Oracle Solaris is moving to a continuous delivery model using more frequent updates to deliver the latest features faster, while …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Optics

Solaris 11 = SunOS 5.11. It's a minor release, not a major release.

Solaris 12 would have been SunOS 5.12; not a major release.

This looks like more of an optics decision than a technical decision -- and it means their (now much leaner) engineering staff now has to scramble to backport years of Solaris 12 development work into Solaris 11.

1. Steve Aubrey

Re: Optics

SunOS 5.0 came out in June of 1992 - almost 25 years ago.

Still want to stick with "not a major release" across a quarter century?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Optics

"Still want to stick with "not a major release" across a quarter century?"

Yes, I do. Time shouldn't be the deciding factor for what a major release is.

But my point was that Oracle's now asking us to believe that not only won't there be a new major release ever again, there won't even be a new minor release ever again.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Enterprise != consumer market

"Continuous delivery is certainly what the cool kids are doing with software these days, so it's hard to fault Oracle on that front. And upgrades to major OS releases can be painful for ISVs and users alike. Removing the need to cope with big releases isn't terrible news."

You're right, it's not terrible news, it's horrendous. I'd like to know who those cool kids are, I assume Microsoft's Windows 10 is being addressed here?

The problem with this release model is that it makes things more dangerous and less controllable. It may work on a consumer level but most certainly not in the enterprise.

Example: FreeBSD's support cycle. As you can see there are 2 versions being maintained at the time of writing: 10.3 until April 30, 2018 and version 11 until 2021. Here's the thing: everyone knows where they stand here. When / if 10.4 comes out then you'll know that it won't contain major changes, new features to cope with, etc, etc. You'll know that it's still 10.x yet with several bug fixes. So upgrading is a relatively easily calculated risk.

This model also gives you plenty of time to prepare for an upgrade to 11, which will eventually be required. But as you can see here we have a whole year to plan for it. Actually a little more because 11 was released last year, and the end of support for 10.x has also been known for a while now.

But this new "hip(pie?) model" changes that. Now it can very well be possible that a minor release ships both a desperately required bugfix yet also comes with a totally undesired new or changed feature. That's simply not something which is always doable, depending on the environment of course.

What if the vendor decides to remove a specific functionality which is actually an extremely important detail within your environment? And don't say that it wouldn't happen, because those "cool kids" you spoke of have shown otherwise multiple times already.

For me this is far from providing better service to the customers, this is more or less shoving all required updates onto one huge pile and letting the customers sort out the mess. Less work, so lesser costs, for the provider and all the more burden for the customers / consumers.

1. HmmmYes

Re: Enterprise != consumer market

To be honest, the Solaris minor number is pretty much a major/maintenance release.

Solaris 11 has been kicking around for almost 10 years.

Ive tried 11.2 11.4 11.5 (I think).

As far as user land goes, Solaris shared objects have version fucntion interfaces.

As far as kernel land goes the hadrware/DDI is pretty unchanged since Solaris 8 - minors odds + sods.

2. Chemical Bob
      Linux

Re: Enterprise != consumer market

"You're right, it's not terrible news, it's horrendous. I'd like to know who those cool kids are, I assume Microsoft's Windows 10 is being addressed here?

The problem with this release model is that it makes things more dangerous and less controllable. It may work on a consumer level but most certainly not in the enterprise."

Two words - Debian stable.

4. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Version numbers by another name, what a load of rubbish.

'I'd quite like a copy of DataMuncherPro v7.2 for Solaris, I'm running version 11.next'

'Certainly sir, here you go'

..time passes..

'It's not working, it says it has a dependency on libfloogle.so.6'

'Ah, which update of 11.next are you running?'

'I'm running 11.next - that's all that's required'

'Ah yes, but it doesn't work with the June 2017 release of 11.next, as Floogle functionality wasn't added until December 2017. If, however, you're running February 2018 preview you'll need DataMuncherPro v7.2a because the new socket pledge access protector breaks our session establishment'

'I was told this works with 11.next with no qualification, and I can't upgrade to 11.next December 2017, because at the same time as adding Floogle functionality, they removed remote hierarchical tape support over ssh'

'I'm sorry sir, you'll need to take that up with Oracle'

'.....'

1. iOS6 user

Re: Version numbers by another name, what a load of rubbish.

It is really funny to see sometimes comments about how it may be with Solaris written by people have no idea how this OS function on the market :)

Example: kernel DDI (Device Driver Interface) has not hanged in last 10 years and still is in v3 which means that if you have 10 years old binary driver you can load it to kernel space Solaris 11.3 latest SRU. Please try to do such think with Linux :D

Try to read Solaris ABI license where you have GUARANTEE binary compatibility on binary level for veeery looong time.

On other words your example phone call with support is only imaginary.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Here's the guarantee, by the way:

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/solaris-guarantee-program-1426902.pdf

1. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

Much obliged, it would have helped if the article actually pointed that out..

5. x 7

so wheres OpenSolaris in all this? Or is that a daft question?

1. David Halko

That is Solaris 11

1. HCV

I'm fairly certain the OP wasn't asking where the tech is, but where the open source is, and/or the community.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like