back to article Penguins force-fed root: Cruel security flaw found in systemd v228

Some Linux distros will need to be updated following the discovery of an easily exploitable flaw in a core system management component. The CVE-2016-10156 security hole in systemd v228 opens the door to privilege escalation attacks, creating a means for hackers to root systems locally if not across the internet. The …

1. Bodge99

Systemd... just FOAD!! **PLEASE** !!!

2. Uffe Seerup

Surprise

Once again, the deliberate hole in the *nix security model - SUID/setuid - is at the core.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: Surprise

Are you absolutely sure it's not people violating the basic security tenets of pulling more power to themselves than they need, whilst also declining to relinquish that control and power when they don't need it?

How many of systemd's logic, state tracking, and internal storage systems required God power? I'm guessing none. If they won't even use basic security practise, what makes you think they'll use finer grained ACL systems?

Which OS would you like to evangelise that has the power to restrain the ego of its boot-program's author?

2. Lee D Silver badge

No.

Why the hell is a "touch" command creating a file with any permissions other than that of the user in question, whatsoever, and why the F***ING hell is it creating setuid bits with explicitly being asked to? That's just insane! Literally insane.

It's like a ping command that turns off your firewall when you run it on localhost. So incredibly stupid, it just shouldn't happen.

Systemd is a good "principle" (i.e. let's get rid of old shell scripts and make things predictable and reliable), coupled with a bad design (one massive executable that runs as the init user), tied with god-damn atrocious execution (like this, and a handful of other doozies that it's incorporated).

And, most importantly, isn't even brave enough to say "Whoops, we really messed up back in January! Patch immediately".

1. find users who cut cat tail

> Why the hell is a "touch" command...

Which "touch" command?

Got confused the command and a function called touch() inside systemd?

2. Manolo
        Joke

Re: Re: Surprise

Systemd is a good "principle" ,,,, coupled with a bad design ,,,,, tied with god-damn atrocious execution

So it's like the European Union?

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Unhappy

_NOT_ suid per se [it's actually needed for SOME things] but apparently how it's being utilized by systemd and it's minions

3. Lennart Sorensen

How is Debian affected? I see version 232 in unstable and testing, and version 230 in backports and 215 in stable. No version appears to be running 228 and hasn't been for at least 6 months. Version 229 was released almost a year ago, so at this point I doubt there are really any vulnerable systems out there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Version 229 was released almost a year ago, so at this point I doubt there are really any vulnerable systems out there

Unless, you know, you run a production system, which you do not update-and-reboot the second a new version of a package rolls off the press.

Monolithic, all-absorbing tools like systemd are an abomination for a production server: it is pretty much guaranteed that -something- inside it is broken, but you can't just replace the broken bit with an updated version. To add an insult to injury, since it has a tentacle in every tiniest crack of the system it can find, it is almost impossible to update it fully without rebooting.

Unfortunately, it is by now impossible to avoid this abomination if you have to stick with a major distribution. I wish its creator have never been born, though - or at least gets to one of the more unpleasant corners of hell once he is no longer with us.

1. Gerhard Mack

right ..

I'll take your "abomination" Thanks to SystemD I finally have shared filesystem clusters booting correctly the first time without a ton of hackery. (dovecot depends OCFS2, OCFS2 depends on iSCSI, iSCSI depends on networking) something that was almost impossible to do under the old init system.

As a server admin, SystemD has solved more problems than it has created.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: right ..

How about you start networking first, then iSUSI, then OCF32, then Dovecot? Just throwing that out there.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Init doesn't have dependency-based starting, only delay-based starting, and due to Murphy, sometimes things don't start up in a timely manner, leading to things going up in the wrong order. I recall a network pro mentioning the time the two network interfaces in a firewall unit going up in reverse order and thus getting enumerated wrong. Do one thing sounds nice until you found out it did that one thing WRONG.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

surely each interface has a mac address and if that is configured in the netconfig files then that should be impossible?

2. Gerhard Mack

@Dan 55 Re: right ..

"How about you start networking first, then iSUSI, then OCF32, then Dovecot? Just throwing that out there."

You can mess with the boot order, but the pain comes when you actually want to mount the filesystem. /etc/fstab has an option to wait for the network but none to wait for the iSCSI/OCFS2

and in most distros a failed mount would simply then start loading the rest of the services. This means adding checks to each daemon's startup script to make sure all file systems are mounted.

Under systemd, I can just add a config file for just the mount point that causes me trouble, and it does not even attempt to mount the FS until all needed services are up and then mark the postfix/dovecot as a dependancy of the filesystem. Much less fragile, and my time to setup new services has been reduced and as an added bonus, I don't have daemons saving things to the local drive instead of the network drive which is kind of a pain when it's supposed to be a shared FS.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: @Dan 55 right ..

Tell fstab to not auto mount it and then mount it inside the init script once everything is up?

2. Stephen W Harris

@Gerhard Mack

Fun dependencies like this exist with systemd; for example if you have xinetd and a service binary on NFS... xinetd starts before NFS does and so the service fails. You have to force xinetd to start after NFS if you want this to work properly.

Similarly I have an rc.local script that sends an email to my phone each time my server reboots; postfix is running but can't do DNS resolution and so the message sits there waiting for retry. INN also suffers a DNS failure and so won't allow any incoming connections. I've not fully debugged those ones, yet!

None of those issues hit with sysvinit on CentOS.

1. Tom 64
                Coffee/keyboard

Re: @Stephen W Harris

If you have a service binary on NFS, you are already asking for trouble no matter what startup system you are using.

2. Hans 1

Even if you have xinetd on an NFS share - I am curious, but I won't ask why because the standard reply to weird behavior is always "Corporate Policy" - you still have a shell script to start xinetd, right ? how about having a loop in there, checking for "-x /nfs/path/to/xinted"; sleep 3 ?

If you have xinetd on an NFS share, might as well have a loop in your daemon script that starts/stops it.

1. Stephen W Harris

@Hans 1 - you misread; xinetd is the standard RedHat one; the _service_ entry points to an NFS mounted executable. eg /etc/xinetd.d/myservice might have "server = /nfs/mounted/path/foobar"

Now xinetd starts before NFS is properly ready (standard RedHat systemd startup), it can't find "foobar" and so disables the service.

This only broke in RedHat 7; it worked fine for decades (and even via inetd on SunOS 4).

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Unless I miss something rather major, all what had to be done under the system V init system was to name your scripts in /etc/init.d/rc5.d in the desired startup order, and it simply worked.

If you wanted to be fancy (or just a believer in LSB), you could also supply the appropriate "Required-Start:" comment lines, and let your GUI tools sort out the startup order.

Either way, hardly a "ton of hackery" or "impossible to do".

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Surely you mean rc3.d? Right?

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

The thing about rc.init routines is that you have to select the start order (and some packages get it wrong)

Additionally, things tend to be singlethreaded, which can make for long startup times.

systemd uses dependencies and runs as much in parallel as possible.

Which is the nice idea part. It does tend to die horribly under some conditions.

Contrary to claims, it's not monolithic. There's a core which fires up startup scripts.

The biggest problem with it is that the developer is an asshat who won't listen to anyone else.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@g. Mack: I find systemd to be a nightmare to debug, but if it helps, more power to you. But, have you thought about writing your own tool? I'm confused on how systemd made this easier for you. Of course I wonder how easy it will be when... ooops.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Gerhard

"Thanks to SystemD I finally have shared filesystem clusters booting correctly the first time without a ton of hackery. (dovecot depends OCFS2, OCFS2 depends on iSCSI, iSCSI depends on networking) "

You almost make it sound as if this wasn't possible without systemd. I guess it's a miracle then that the process of setting something like this up on FreeBSD has always been relatively easy. And FreeBSD knows nothing of systemd.

Instead of thanking systemd I can't help wonder if you shouldn't have been scorning some package maintainers for creating a dependency hell instead. Also: merely removing said dependency hell did not remove nor change the underlying mindset. Within that reasoning I think its safe to conclude that systemd didn't fix anything, it only postponed the inevitable.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: @Gerhard

Yes it was possible to start things up in a defined order with SystemV startups but it was sometimes a little iffy when it came to dependencies. Checking for say a file lock or existence didn't always work in a clustered setup.

Since we moved to SystemD these sort of things have not happened.

Yes some of SystemD is a real PITA and yes debugging it is even worse but after getting through the pain, it was worth it.

For 90% of systems it is a total overkill. SystemV would do just fine but where you have multiple dependencies then I've found SystemD a better bet.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"For 90% of systems it is a total overkill. SystemV would do just fine but where you have multiple dependencies then I've found SystemD a better bet."

I've had the opposite experience. On a proper SysV system, it will start daemons in the order they are listed in rc.conf.local. Clustering was never a problem for me since I've always used properly coded applications where their start-up script would check for a file lock and would start it up in a passive/stand-by mode if the file was locked.

Of course, it helped that I made the afternoon-worth of effort to learn basic Perl / shell scripting that the tiny startup scripts were easy for me to follow, unlike the spaghetti that is systemd.exe

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Devil

"And FreeBSD knows nothing of systemd."

A _DEFINITE_ plus!

Additionally, the rc system on FBSD is a bit easier to config than Debian's old sysv startup support, last I checked. though much of the 'hackery' required was simply re-naming, creating, or removing a few symlinks from one of the rc#.d directories

3. Frumious Bandersnatch

Waiting until something (eg, some initialisation) is finished is trivial:

1. Make a named pipe (done once)

2. Thing waiting on the dependency reads from the pipe and hence blocks

3. Thing providing the dependency writes "success" to the pipe when it's finished

4. init script wrapper sends "fail" to the pipe after a programmable timeout

5. Thing waiting on the pipe looks for "success" (in which case it stops the timeout program and continues as normal) or "fail[ure]" and does error logging

You could do this dependency stuff in any number of ways, but this is doable in a script that you put into /etc/init.d and requires no more than mkfifo, read, echo, sleep and kill commands.

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

And FreeBSD knows nothing of systemd.

Which is exactly why I'm currently going thorugh the pain of migrating my VMs over to FreeBSD[1], despite the learning curve. And reprogramming my fingers to not do ps -ef but ps -ax instead.. Just have to remember my Solaris days.

[1] My friends comment: "You do like making things difficult for yourself!"

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"As a server admin, SystemD has solved more problems than it has created"

If that is true from your perspective, then it seems you've never learned to properly sysadmin Unix using its basic principles ... all of what you described can be easily configured using the level-based init scripts

1. Charles 9

"all of what you described can be easily configured using the level-based init scripts"

Scripts that can be subtly MISWRITTEN. I speak from experience. Like I said, do one thing sounds nice until it does the one thing WRONG. Think of the term command chain. And chains tend to have weak links; problem is, it's usually tough to find which link is the weak one until it's too late.

1. Hans 1
              Happy

>Scripts that can be subtly MISWRITTEN.

That is what testing is for, mate. at least, with shell scripts, updates installed won't suddenly expose your init system ... I am still waiting for the network-based 0wnage to happen via systemd, it is only a matter of time. Seriously, look, they could not even get touch() right ...

What do you get from a bunch of young devs ? A monolithic system with an atrocious ui!

If that's what you get from that bunch of young devs, I'll never let them code again!

1. Charles 9

"What do you get from a bunch of young devs ? A monolithic system with an atrocious ui!"

And what do you get from a bunch of devs young and old that don't talk to each other? Programs that talk past each other and result in esoteric gestalt exploits that are a right PITA to debug. Pick your poison.

6. Orv Silver badge

I'm glad it works for you. I missed being able to reboot my servers without resorting to a hardware reset. (RH7+systemd+automounts+NFS causes a hang on shutdown every time.)

7. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Unhappy

"As a server admin, SystemD has solved more problems than it has created."

I hear the same kind of logic applied to things like Virus Outbreak (aka MS Outlook), and the use of ".Not" in programming.

My guess is that the hackery is a better choice. Then post what you did in an appropriate place, so the rest of us can benefit from it too.

2. John Hughes

Unless, you know, you run a production system,

You run production systems on testing or unstable?

Did you miss this bit: "215 in stable".

3. Donkey Molestor X

> I wish its creator have never been born, though - or at least gets to one of the more unpleasant corners of hell once he is no longer with us.

Linus, is that you?

> Unfortunately, it is by now impossible to avoid this abomination if you have to stick with a major distribution.

Write up a costs/benefits analysis for your employer. If you can prove that the business is losing money in sysadmin labour-hours dealing with systemd then maybe you can switch.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

After reading some of the comments here, I think the problem might be that if you administor Unix, you kinda, sorta, have to be a C programmer. Checking for process status, writing modules or just the general debug mind set might not be expected of todays Unix admins.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"After reading some of the comments here, I think the problem might be that if you administor Unix, you kinda, sorta, have to be a C programmer"

No. You only have to have an grasp of the basic patterns in the Unix methodology. Mostly they're straight forward and make sense, and are designed so that most things are human readable and can be set up in small easily manageable units.

When managed sensibly, a Unix system very rarely needs to be rebooted.

SystemD seems to be the complete opposite of the Unix design approach, and will only make systems more complicated to manage and more vulnerable to failure.

4. Lennart Sorensen

No debian release has ever had the problematic version. Your production system would hence not be affected.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

systemd v228

Yeah. That explains everything wrong with systemd in two words.

1. find users who cut cat tail
      Linux

Re: systemd v228

I suppose less must be more than twice as wrong I suppose -- because it uses the same versioning scheme (just do +1) and currently is at v487 (oh, the horror!).

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: systemd v228

less shows you a bit of a file, and has been around since the 80's

SystemD runs your computer including almost all the security, devices and kernel interaction, and has been around 6 years.

There's a bit of a difference.

For a start, 'less' has twice as many versions but has been around nearly 5 times as long. It also does SIGNIFICANTLY less (sorry!) than systemd, as in it does basically nothing critical beyond an open() call on a file, and has no security implications inherent in it.

But systemd would have seen MORE updates than less if it had been around as long, but not significantly more which - given that it does almost everything nowadays - is quite damning. I'd expect it to be in the tens of thousands of revisions, with a handful (6?) major versions only. Not 200-odd randomly chosen updates.

And less can be updated in a trice without affecting anything. Systemd, you certainly shouldn't be just throwing out a version every few days and upgrading every machine to it.

1. Michael Felt

Re: UNIX pagers - less is more - more or less :p

A bit off topic - my apologies - but I had to smile as I thought back to the 'pg' days, which was followed by a program to let you read a page 'more' and then later you could read a page by page (pg) any way you wanted - well 'more' or 'less'

1. jake Silver badge

Re: UNIX pagers - less is more - more or less :p

Although depreciated, `pg` is part of util-linux. If your distro of choice omits pg, you can download it (and the rest ... what other "necessary" files does your distro of choice omit?) from here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/

pg still comes in handy here, at least once in a while :-)

5. Tim Brown 1
    Pint

use sysvinit instead

"Unfortunately, it is by now impossible to avoid this abomination if you have to stick with a major distribution".

I hate the philosophy of systemd too, but it's still fairly straightforward to run the current Debian release using sysvinit instead.

I switched all my servers back to sysvinit when I discovered that during a standard reboot systemd was shutting down logging to syslog BEFORE all applications had been cleanly shutdown, thus important messages were lost. For instance, If you just went by syslog it would appear as though Mysql had crashed and not been shut down cleanly.

Anyway a guide to switching back to sysvinit here, it's very simple:

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

1. Nolveys
      Devil

Re: use sysvinit instead

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

That's what I've been doing too, makes things much nicer. I hope things are as easy when Stretch comes out, or Devuan is ready by then.

Then there's the RedHat/Centos stuff, where systemd is actually beneficial for me. I only touch RedHat/Centos via subcontracting to someone who takes and gives zero feks and who bills by the hour, so broken shitty horror shows pretty much turn directly into money.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

who takes and gives zero feks and who bills by the hour, so broken shitty horror shows pretty much turn directly into money.

Hehehe - Consider adding MySQL replication to you repertoire. One year I almost doubled my salary just by this pile-o-crap losing sync, shitting itself and then manual re-sync - which invariably takes forever on a loaded server. In Asia, which is Night here for Peak Load.

2. Ogi

> I only touch RedHat/Centos via subcontracting to someone who takes and gives zero feks and who bills by the hour, so broken shitty horror shows pretty much turn directly into money.

Maybe I have been round the block one too many times, but when systemD first came out and started being pushed through every oriface by Red Hat and their proponents, I couldn't help but think the reason was so that they could make a mint off it.

Think about it, the billable hours to nurse systems back to health, the many more hours to debug that which is the mess of systemd, the constant patching and security monitoring of this massive blob that has its fingers across the system. The frustration of debugging/managing it, leaving it to magic incantations that only Red Hat Certified(tm) systemD consultants could do, and the extra income to get that certification.

It is like someone at RH took a look at Linux, and said "It's too simple, reliable and robust. We are not making enough money on support contracts. We need to make more like Windows, so we can make more money fixing problems we created in the first place. Perhaps some analogue of the Windows registry and svchost.exe? That causes untold billable support tickets for MCSEs!".

Et voila! systemD was born. Like Windows, it is easy to get started "out of the box", things "just work" as long as you do things as the distro is configured for. That is fine for most novice admins and home desktop users. They may even welcome it as they don't realise how powerful Unix actually is, and treat it more like Windows.

Once you start customising to your needs, or something breaks, all hell breaks loose and the whole thing goes titsup. Now its faster to reinstall Linux than work out why systemD threw its toys out of the pram this time.

(as for me, switched to FreeBSD and Devuan a while ago for my personal and business servers, so far so good. Still running Devuan through its paces before I recommend to clients).

2. ici.chacal

Would that removal of systemd work for the latest Ubuntu/Mint too..? Has anyone tried it..?

1. Ramazan

"Would that removal of systemd work for the latest Ubuntu/Mint too..? Has anyone tried it..?"

Most probably you won't be able to get rid of systemd on desktop machine as all major desktop environments (gnome, kde, lxde, xfce, mate and cinnamon) depend on systemd. At least that's how things are on Debian at the moment. On Ubuntu YMMV. You can switch to minimalistic window manager though (openbox, uwm, twm etc), it definitely would work.

3. Ramazan

"it's still fairly straightforward to run the current Debian release using sysvinit instead".

Only if you run the current Debian release without desktop environment. All Debian's "task-desktop" variants, i.e. gnome, kde, lxde, xfce, mate and cinnamon _require_ systemd.

So,

fuck systemd

fuck gnome

fuck kde

fuck lxde

fuck xfce

fuck mate

fuck cinnamon

1. jake Silver badge

Actually, Ramazan, you can run any of the desktop environments without systemd.

Remember, Linux is just the kernel. What you bolt on top of it is up to you.

Slackware (for example) comes with blackbox, fluxbox, fvwm2, kde, twm, wmaker and xfce. Gnome can be added fairly easily with Dropline. Mate can be had with mateslackbuilds at github. All without systemd.

HTH, have fun :-)

1. Bodge99

** Slackware (for example) comes with blackbox, fluxbox, fvwm2, kde, twm, wmaker and xfce. Gnome can be added fairly easily with Dropline. Mate can be had with mateslackbuilds at github. All without systemd.**

The same applies with Cinnamon..

6. Kurgan
    FAIL

systemd SUCKS!

Simple as that. Systemd SUCKS. Use Devuan, without systemd by design.

7. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Systemd

the worst recursively self-referencing acronym in history.

Linux - Linux Is Not UniX

Pine - Pine Is Not Email

Systemd - Systemd Is Not Windows

Nope, I don't see how they got that.

Oh, and before I go: Fuck systemd.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Systemd

"Pine - Pine Is Not Email"

I thought that was "Pine Is Not Elm"

1. jake Silver badge

Pine Is Not EMACS

2. Pirate Dave Silver badge
        Pirate

My bad. Fingers were outrunning brain...

Wikipedia (for what it's worth) says the E is related to Elm, not EMACS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_%28email_client%29

1. jake Silver badge

It's a joke, son. Everybody know EMACS is an awful email client ;-)

"Everybody know EMACS is an awful email client ;-)"

Isn't it? I thought it was everything else.

1. Down not across

"Everybody know EMACS is an awful email client ;-)"

Isn't it? I thought it was everything else.

Reminds me of few people I know (who at least couple or so decades ago) were rather fond of emacs (both full-fat and microemacs) and ran it effectively (if not for real) as their shell and did everything (email,usenet,gopher, you name it*) via it and had extensive Lisp library.

*Yes kids, there was internet before www...

1. jake Silver badge

I have a user login ("write") that I use for serious writing. It uses vi as the shell. When I'm writing (code, documentation, contracts, dead-tree letters), I don't like distractions. Yes, I use a serial terminal for this, no GUI to get in the way.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: email,usenet,gopher, you name it

"Those were the days, my friend..."

Still remember the major switch in Big Blue support downloads from an emulated 3270 over SDLC to an async X.25 and a country-local gopher server. My productivity increased three-fold. Which is not true anymore with the invention of the Java abomination which brought everything back to 3270-speeds. Which reminds me a story attributed to Niclaus Wirt:

"Back in the mid-80's I had PC XT with two floppy drives. It was booting DOS from the first, loading Lotus 1-2-3 from the second, and in 5 minutes I was able to do my family's accounts. Now, nearly 20 years later, I have a latest-technology PC with Windows and Excel which still loads in 5 minutes before I proceed with the accounts. Why do they tell me the computers got faster?"

1. P. Lee

>Why do they tell me the computers got faster?"

Ah, I see the problem... you thought faster computers were for your benefit!

Nope, they're faster for software vendors' benefit, so they can use cheaper, less efficient coders.

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Boot DOS and 1-2-3 on your PC...

2. P. Lee
            Joke

>It's a joke, son. Everybody know EMACS is an awful email client ;-)

and only a so-so web client. ;)

Wait on a minute... did someone rename emacs to "systemd" and dump it in /boot ?

2. Steve the Cynic

"Linux - Linux Is Not UniX"

You must be thinking of:

GNU - GNU's Not Unix

The Unreliable Source says that the "Linu" in "Linux" is the same "Linu" in "Linus" (and, further, that he didn't really want it called that, but a coworker thought it was a better name than "Freax").

3. Hans 1
      Devil

>Systemd - Systemd Is Not Windows

Systemd - Spoil your system this elegance must die

TFTFY

8. jake Silver badge

Hate systemd?

If you haven't recently, you might want to re-evaluate Slackware.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hate systemd?

I love Slackware, I really do, but I moved to Void.

1. jake Silver badge

I've looked at Void. I have nothing against it. However, it's occupying a niche that is already filled by the rather mature FreeBSD ...

2. slack

Came to reference Slackware, happy to see I was beaten to it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Inevitable

The inevitable problem that occurs when you chuck out decades of tried'n'tested code and replace it with something new, especially with something like systemd, is that you're going to come across a whole new set of flaws, vulnerabilities, etc.

So for any attacker who is truly serious about getting inside Linux systems, systemd represents a golden opportunity for years of vulnerability discovery and exploitation. A flaw like this is a real gift to the nastier types out there on the Internet. They'll have been scouring systemd's source code for things like this. Looks like this particular one is an absolute corker. I wonder who knew of it without letting on.

Is Linux Secure?

With systemd taking on a huge and privileged role in the OS, and with it's significant source code volatility, can we honestly say anything positive about the security of Linux/SystemD based OSes at the moment? I'm not sure we can. We won't be able to be confident until the functionality has settled down and people have spent years pouring over the source code looking for mistakes like this.

It'll gradually get there I'm sure, but right now one feels that it is in a worse place at the moment than it was pre-systemd.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: The Inevitable

"With systemd taking on a huge and privileged role in the OS, and with it's significant source code volatility, can we honestly say anything positive about the security of Linux/SystemD based OSes at the moment? I'm not sure we can."

Don't paint us all with the same brush - some of us are sticking with sysvinit systems until we either retire, or until certain vendors wearing rouge chapeaus pull their heads out of their asses and send systemd packing. This security issue is not necessarily a "Linux" problem, this is a "systemd" problem, which IS NOT LINUX.

(OTOH - the new acronym for systemd could be STINX - SysTemd Is Not linuX...)

"or until certain vendors wearing rouge chapeaus pull their heads out of their asses and send systemd packing."

But don't the rouge chapeaux wearers also have the one commercially supported non-systemd Linux still available as an alternative? They must have overlooked that.

2. hplasm
        Thumb Up

"STINX - SysTemd Is Not linuX..."

Have an Internet, Sir!

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Linux

"Is Linux Secure"

yes. Linux is secure. Related, systemd is NOT Linux. thankfully.

10. ckdizz

Oh my God! A vulnerability in software that can give ab attacker root! This validates everything I knew about the software in question, and I'm fully justified in being against it and avoiding using it!

Apply that principle universally instead of just to things you can't be bothered learning. You wouldn't even be using pen and paper because someone could look over your shoulder. There have been many more much worse vulnerabilities in software you all no doubt use every day without complaint. The great thing about Linux is that if you don't like something, you don't have to use it. Feel free to exercise that power, but get off your high horses in your fictional world where root level vulnerabilities only exist in things you hate.

1. jake Silver badge

I'm fully justified in being against it and avoiding using it

No. I'm fully justified in being against it and avoiding using it because it completely goes against the UNIX design philosophy of "each program does one thing well".

Yes, I've evaluated systemd (as I so most new major offerings in the FOSS world)In my opinion, it puts too many eggs in one basket, and the basket is entirely too small for the load. So I avoid it. Obviously, YMMV, and you are free to comment. But don't presume to assume that my (or anybody else's!) dislike of systemd is based on anything other than "unfit for purpose".

2. Long John Brass
      Mushroom

You don't get it do you

@ckdizz

IF I could just rip systemd off my machines without it bricking everything along with it I would be happy

BUT I can't, remove systemd packages and there goes your whole fucking desktop

EVERYTHING now has a dependency on system fucking D

I would hate it a lot LESS if I had a choice about using it, but I don't so cue up the hate

Get it now?

3. Ramazan
      Facepalm

"Apply that principle universally instead of just to things you can't be bothered learning"

Apply this principle to things that are forced on you by default, are not necessary (sysvinit is just fine) and come full with root escalation vulnerabilities. Apply this principles to "improvements" that "fix" things that ain't broke.

1. Orv Silver badge

"Apply this principles to "improvements" that "fix" things that ain't broke."

I think a lot of the "improvements" are down to a religious devotion to running the same OS on laptops that we run on servers. For example, NetworkManager is a godsend on a laptop that moves around, but really painful on a server, where you might configure the network once every three or four years and really want it to come up as early in the boot process as possible.

1. sisk

I think a lot of the "improvements" are down to a religious devotion to running the same OS on laptops that we run on servers. For example, NetworkManager is a godsend on a laptop that moves around, but really painful on a server, where you might configure the network once every three or four years and really want it to come up as early in the boot process as possible.

The difference is that you can remove NetworkManager and go back to your config files on that server in a matter of minutes, but dumping systemd is, at best, a painful process sure to cause even more problems.

1. Orv Silver badge

"The difference is that you can remove NetworkManager and go back to your config files on that server in a matter of minutes, but dumping systemd is, at best, a painful process sure to cause even more problems."

Very true. I didn't say they were equivalent, but I think systemd is motivated by the same desire to support laptops with a server OS -- fast boot times seem to be a major selling point, and this only makes sense on laptops and desktops. Servers aren't rebooted often and generally have lengthy BIOS POST periods anyway (anywhere from two to twenty minutes, in my experience.)

11. Dazed and Confused

WTF

If you touch a file, make it 7777 so it's world writeable and SUID then a non root user writes to the file the kernel takes away SUID and SGID. So not only is systemd being done in letting you create the 7777 file in the first place. It's being dumb is letting you write something to it which could then be executed.

Only root would be able to issue the write without the 6000 mode bits being reset.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: WTF

"Only root would be able to issue the write without the 6000 mode bits being reset."

assuming that a different exploit did not successfully write to this file and still keep the bits...

12. x 7

so what mainstream distros are available now that don't use systemd? And I mean mainstream, not homebrew distros cooked up by one man and his donkey........

1. Dazed and Confused

RHEL/CentOS 6

I think I loath and despise 7 more and more with each and every passing day.

2. Michael Felt

systemd - the future? or just another way to boot *nix

I have never had to deal with systemd - and I am surprised to hear there is so much division about whether it was a move forward or not.

Before this I was thinking: for a "family" packages built around the systemd philosophy it could be beneficial. Mt concern with "Linux" boot phases is mainly that every distro has come up with 'their' way to "solve" the problem of boot - and learning all of those (just as it is hard to learn all the ways that *bsd, aix, hp, solaris, etc. differ in their ways to boot the system).

If systemd provides a way that ALL distros use the same files, same directories, etc. such that I learn one distro and can effectively administrter any distro - it is a win. Without that systemd, imho, is just a new, different 'thing' that needs to be learned, researched, etc..

In summary - I have doubts systemd will be universal to system administration.

Have a good day everyone! Smile! and then go kick a can ;)

3. nematoad
      Go

Here you go.

"so what mainstream distros are available now that don't use systemd? And I mean mainstream, not homebrew distros cooked up by one man and his donkey..."

PCLinuxOS for one.

Texstar has stated that he will NEVER use systemd.

4. slack

AFAIK Pat V doesn't own a donkey. ;)

13. dbannon
    Happy

So, do somethng !

OK, so systemd is -

a. Completely unusable

b. Completely unnecessary

c. Completely adopted by the major distros.

So, if you systemd haters go out and make a new distro without systemd, the world will beat a path to your door. Call it deb-sansd perhaps ? You will rule the world ! You could even set up your own mailing list and "discuss" systemd there (and not here...).

1. Charles 9

Re: So, do somethng !

"So, if you systemd haters go out and make a new distro without systemd, the world will beat a path to your door. Call it deb-sansd perhaps ? You will rule the world ! You could even set up your own mailing list and "discuss" systemd there (and not here...)."

If that were true, why hasn't a major supplier done so and beat the haters to the punch (and the bucks)?

14. batfastad

Faster

But systemd makes my server boot 2 seconds faster! After I've waited 20 minutes for "configuring memory", "updating inventory", "verifying system devices", "lifecycle controller something".

15. PNGuinn
    Flame

And so it starts...

See Title.

Version 22WHAT?? What is this supposed to be? an init system or a BLOODY BROWSER??

Question - How many other unknown vulnerabilities are rolled up into that hairball of code?

Burn it with fire - it's the only way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And so it starts...

And if it turns out to be fireproof?

16. sisk

Yet more proof

that systemd is not yet ready for prime time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet more proof

There is no timeline, prime or otherwise, that systemd is ready for. Hopefully in 5 years we can look back on systemd as merely an interesting, but misguided, experiment that failed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like