back to article Torchwood sends inspection team to CERN

Torchwood's Captain Jack has been sighted at CERN's Large Hadron Collider. Does this mean that when it is switched on it is likely to open a rift under Cardiff from whence all manner of spooky things shall spring? Captain Jack does the Da Vinci pose at CERN Or is it a shameless publicity stunt designed to raise the profile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

its obvious isn't it?

I seem to remember something about them attempting to create a black hole later on in the year.

I guess its only right that Torchwood should get involved if they're going to destroy the world...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

blackhole side effect

I seem to remember that blackholes could be a side effect for the expermentation to find the Higgs field / particle (boson). These black holes will evaporate (from Hawkins radiation) which basically breaks up virtual particles near the event horizon. I alway thought that virtual particles would be the way teleportation would work by a chain of particles eliminating until some condition preserved the final particle, but i digress.

What is so exciting about the LHC is that it could open up a new area of technology. If i'm right in my thinking, If you can get the standard model to work then you have a roadmap to a way of interating with Higgs via an EM field, which is pretty exciting.

I don't think even touchwood could imagine all the results of that.

BTW: I gave up watching Touchwood, when in my option it lost the plot and started to concentrate on characters, who would risk everyone else with their own agenders, and burst into tears when the others didn't like it.

(I got fedup of seeing that same plot device, over and over)

3. Tom

Filming

Shouldn't John Barrowman be busy filming Torchwood Series 2? Or maybe he is and this is a filming site!

Or maybe when Captain Jack heard about a huge tunnel and things being fired down it, he just couldn't help but think he was the man for the job?

4. Dillon Pyron

It'll never work

The LHC will never work. It's just got too many iffy new experimental parts that all depend on each other working.

And those darned Wright brothers. Why don't they stick to bicycle repair?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ZOMG!

DUDES! Don't expect black holes! If these were possible at the low low energy densities that puny humans can create, you can bet that Tevatron would already have a few unexplained bumps in its probability density curves.

Expect possibly one Higgs or more. Possibly. Additional phenomena are bonus! It would be nice to have something new beyond the Standard Model, some supersymmetric particle or something. Don't hold your breath.

"What is so exciting about the LHC is that it could open up a new area of technology. If i'm right in my thinking, If you can get the standard model to work then you have a roadmap to a way of interating with Higgs via an EM field, which is pretty exciting."

Err...absolutely not. The Standard Model works quite well currently though no-one knows why it is the way it is. It's just a mathematical framework for the known particles and it indeed predicts a "Higgs", but does such a thing really exist? Don't expect wonder engineering to come out of this.

Here is a nice presentation of the state of LHC from "Strings 2007":

http://gesalerico.ft.uam.es/strings07/040_scientific07_contents/transparences/rolandi.pdf

And a interactive presentation from the Science Museum to "Hunt for the Higgs":

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/antenna/bigbang/huntforhiggs/index.asp

Or you can check out the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/14/070514fa_fact_kolbert

And now I'm back to playing Half-Life

6. Master Baker

Captain Jack Likes to stick himself in strange places..

like black holes.

7. Spike Ravenscroft

I Love

Captain Jack and Particle Accelerators...what a lovely start to my Friday.

:D

8. supermeerkat

I thought Captain Jack liked to explore planets in our solar system....

like the seventh, for example :)

No sniggering at the back!

9. Lloyd

Hmmmm

Torchwood is tosh, it spends way to much time behaving like Hollyoaks, who's shagging who, where and why and lees time on the important stuff liek Sci-Fi. I want a paradox where Jack meets the face of Bo and they get it on.

10. Chad H.

Maybe they needed an expert..

Maybe they needed an expert in reversing the Polarity of the Neutrino flow... Seems to be something that they'd need done every now and then, and since the Ol Doc is usualy a little busy and all....

This topic is closed for new posts.