back to article Google's big Spanner in the works for price war against AWS

The cloud wars won't be won on price – but customers are waking up to the costs, according to Google. "It's not a zero-sum game," Brian Stevens, Google's vice president for Cloud Platform and former Red Hat chief technology officer, told The Reg in a recent interview. "We don't think you just win on cost alone, but we do …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hello Google, want to compete with AWS?

Try unblocking ports 25, 465, and 587 so people can send emails from an instance, in my case I wanted to send an email from website contact form, didt it work no. https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/tutorials/sending-mail/

Also while your at it how about allowing a valid server name like server1.example.com but you don't allow dots so you have to have server1examplecom

And how about the ability to assign additional IP's to an instance with-out using a command line.

Or get IPv6 up and running on your infrastructure.

I could keep going really.

AWS, used your service as well customers support took 6 days to get back to me and never sorted the problem out, nothing worse than being sent a written instructions script back, even when you explained that the issue is a bug on your side and you have included screen captures.

My advice to anyone is look around, DigitalOcean and LINODE might be a good place to start.

2. Jon Massey
    Headmaster

Big?

12mm's hardly big.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love it...

"We don't think you just win on cost alone, but we do think many companies we talk to are stunned about what cloud delivers but surprised by the bill."

Stunned about the lower uptimes and surprised by the higher costs?

4. Nifty Silver badge

A tech service becomes commodity and the list price drops supplier by supplier.

Funny that never happens with my Virgin Media broadband bill.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

What you complaining about? You always get your "free" speed upgrade, just a few months before the coincidental prices rise.

5. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Meh

Surely the reputational damage is already too great for Google to gain much headway here? Can there be any CIO that didn't use Picasa, Reader, Wave, Orkut or any one of the other zillion dead Google services that sees the words "Google cloud" and just has a slight nervous twitch and an instant thought of "how long before they shut that one down too"?

1. WibbleMe

Agreed Iv been trying to use Google domains and they don't yet support .uk or .website extension, makes you wonder where all the investment is going hu

6. Adam 52 Silver badge

El Reg is criticising other papers for rehashing old news about LASERs whilst repeating the old news itself?

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/16/google_spanner_datastore/

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Admittedly I just woke up. But... this piece reads like its writer was on some kind of stimulant. Jumps around rather a lot.

8. zvonr

Cockroach DB for the non-google world

https://www.cockroachlabs.com

unless Oracle ingests them before that...

9. ChaosFreak

We're on MS and Google--Not Happy with Either

We're in the unenviable position of paying MS for Office 365 to get email and access to Office software, but we can't use their cloud because, when we previously tried to migrate all our files from Google to MS, the MS cloud "updated" all of the "Last Modified" timestamps on the files, making it impossible for users to sort files by date (which is quite common when looking for files). MS support refused to call it a bug, instead saying it was "by design" because, technically, the new "copy" of the file was "modified" when it was created on the new cloud (even though it's an exact copy).

So, we're stuck with two clouds, paying two bills and using only half of the functionality of both.

10. teknopaul

scaleable sql

only new if you never noticed mysql and its ndb backend. Facebook running on that I believe.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like