back to article Brother-and-sister duo arrested over hacking campaign targeting Italy's bigwigs

A hacking operation featuring the EyePyramid trojan successfully compromised the systems of numerous high-profile Italian targets, including two former prime ministers, say Italian police. High-profile targets were targeted by a spear-phishing campaign that served a remote-access trojan codenamed "EyePyramid" as a malicious …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shame they got caught.

We could do with more of this kind of subversion to attack the sociopathic elites.

2. frank ly

Excuse me?

"The FBI has seized the servers and will ship them to Italy, ..."

Don't they understand how computers work?

1. Filippo Silver badge

Re: Excuse me?

At the network speeds we get around here, it's probably faster to ship 87 gigabytes by plane than by wire.

1. Old Used Programmer

Old adage... Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes. They also understand how the law works.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"They also understand how the law works."

That comes in handy when they're trying to circumvent it.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Don't they understand how computers work?"

I'm sure they understand how to make copies before they pass them over.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Only 2 former prime ministers? At the rate they get through them, every one in Italy is required to be a prime minister for at least a day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The previous ones didn't know how to use a computer or smartphone...

4. Lotaresco
    Headmaster

Many thankings!

That should have been molte grazie or grazie mille. Given that you're presumably not BFF with "Milan based Alex" La ringrazio tanto is a more formal way to say thank you. Google Translate was not your friend.

5. noddybollock
    Big Brother

"The FBI has seized the servers and will ship them to Italy, the head of Italy's cyber crime unit told the news agency."

I assume the FED's will be having a sneaky peak at the data 1st

6. Bob Dole (tm)
    Holmes

wut?

I thought this type of hacking could only be performed by "state actors"?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: wut?

Well, they did minor in drama at the national university.

*tumbleweeds*

I'll get my coat.

7. Mark 65

High-profile targets were targeted by a spear-phishing campaign that served a remote-access trojan codenamed "EyePyramid" as a malicious attachment.

Targets of the spying included bankers, businessmen and even several cardinals multiple idiots that would open any attachment sent to them thus proving that you don't need to be smart to get to the top. The president of the European Central Bank, Mario Draghi, and two former Italian prime ministers, Matteo Renzi and Mario Monti, were among targets of the campaign, according to a copy of an Italian arrest warrant obtained by Politico.

There, fixed that for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

With top brasses, you also have the assistant(s) issue - and they often have broad access to the email account(s) and documents of their bosses.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like