back to article Does an imported PS3 need power conversion kit?

My son was recently given a present of a PS3 which was purchased in America. I have been told that he should not use it here without the use of a "Power step-down converter". Is this correct? If so what size of converter should I purchase?

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. William Andrews
    Gates Horns

A good idea

It would be a good idea to get the down converter, because you always want every single part of the system getting the right amount of power. Just get a standard UK to US (or visa versa) power converter, it should give the right amount of voltage, considering the PS3 just uses standard US power with your model.

Owner of: 60 gb PS3, PSP

2. Walter McCann
    Happy

Check it

Open it up and look on the powersuppy (or the PS3 if it is built in) - It will say what voltage it cn take - if it is 110-120 then you need a converter, if it says 110-240 then you will just need to change the plug.

If you need a converter - look again at the label and see what the wattage required is (probably 70W but could be more) then go to your local electronics store (Maplin in the UK) and buy a step-up converter that is considerably (50%) greater power rating than required.

Better still, if the powersupply is external just buy a new powersupply on Ebay/local games shop). Step-up converters are very noisy - create a buzz like a fly killer in a butchers.

Hope this helps.

3. Malcolm Abbott

Power adaptor

What does the box say. Most new equipment is rated 100 to 250 volts and only requires the plug to be changed.

If it says 115 volts, then go to a travel dealer and get a travel adaptor to English plug, UK voltage 240 volts.

Any Sony dealer will sell you a new power kit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You might want to check..,

but on the back of mine it says.

"110v-240v"

If it says that on yours, then no converter is required, just a UK mains lead.

5. Michael McGoldrick

Nope - you dont need a power convertor

The ps3 has an internal switched power supply - you can use a standard kettle lead or pc monitor power cord to power the ps3..

6. Jon Hume
    Thumb Up

No Worries ..

It works fine - just switch the power lead for a UK power cable. I have had mine since June and it has been on pretty much the whole time .. no problems!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, you'll need a converter ...

"I have been told that he should not use it here without the use of a "Power step-down converter". Is this correct?"

Correct, sort of - US mains is 110/120V, UK and Europe is 230/240V, so it's a step-up converter you'll need. Plugging the machine directly into the mains over here will likely result in a loud bang, lots of smoke and an annoyed son.

If you shop around it shouldn't be too difficult to find a suitable device, complete with necessary mains socket adapters. Some PSUs are switchable, but I don't know if the PS3 has such a beast (don't own one, so can't check)

8. Matthew

PS3 voltage

A thread on PS3 forums (http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=50037) asks this same question.

The consensus is that the PS3 is multi-voltage aware, and should be OK. Several people note that the US-only models only state 120v capability but that many people have used them successfully on European voltages. If you are still concerned, several firms offer a transformer that will definitely be OK (such as: http://www.hobuk.co.uk/acatalog/3kVA-Transformer.html)

However there may be issues with region encoding on films. Although the capability to do so exists, games are not usually region-encoded.

This topic is closed for new posts.