back to article Lloyds Bank customers still flogging the online dead horse

Day two and old nag Lloyds Banking Group’s online and mobile app services are still up and down like the Grand National, with no sign that customers will be put out of their misery any time soon. lloyds An outage yesterday morning prevented punters from logging onto their accounts, to, say, apply for a loan or perhaps re- …

1. S4qFBxkFFg

TSB was up/down at various times this morning too.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

Later this week at an important PHB meeting

- It went wrong. How can we fix this?

- Moar outsourcing! Outsource it all!

3. CCCP

No. Nope. Nada.

Lloydsbank,com not working at 12:20 today, Thursday.

Stop pretending "it's returning to normal". Because it quite plainly is not.

1. Stuart 22

Re: No. Nope. Nada.

"Lloydsbank,com not working at 12:20 today, Thursday."

Replacing the comma might help ... it did for me ;-)

1. CCCP

@Stuart 22

What, you type your web addresses with a comma too? ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Stop pretending "it's returning to normal". Because it quite plainly is not.

This is the new normal. So in a way ...

4. m0rt

Speculate away if they won't offer a sensible reason.

I speculate that they have been hacked. The patchy uptime is down to taking various parts offline while they investigate/ restore last known good parts etc.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

I suspect they didn't pay a bill on time, hence the outage.

1. Mark 65

We asked if the cost-cutting in 2016 with 640 IT and back office staff stuffed into the redundancy meat grinder had impacted the bank's ability to recover from IT screwups. We are awaiting a response.

I suspect they redundoed the MS Exchange dude.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple Solution - move your money out to another bank

Lloyds, TSB, Halifax and Bank of Scotland are all the same company IT at the back-end

A legacy IT shambles and lack of IT knowledge all round following their disastrous offshoring of skills and knowledge.

Move away as fast as you can!

1. My-Handle

Re: Simple Solution - move your money out to another bank

But I only just moved away from RBS!

2. Tom 7

I moved some funds to another bank as an experiment. Rather than use info that can easily be looked up I chose something obscure and cant get it!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Being one of the 640 I moved Jobs not accounts , yet .

Been spamming ex Colleagues with sarcastic SMS all morning . Remiss in my duty if I didn't :)

Anon for obvious reasons .

6. Dr Who

BOS online banking has been intermittent today.

I'm generally very happy with BOS. If you're going to move banks, where is better? All the established banks have the same legacy problems. The new fintech online only banks have brand new systems, but I wouldn't trust them with my business banking yet.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Nationwide seems to be relatively free of these intermittent issues affecting a very small number of customers.

1. paulf
        Meh

@Dan 55 "Nationwide seems to be relatively free of these intermittent issues affecting a very small number of customers so far." FIFY

Top result from a Google search for "Nationwide Outsourcing" was this from Oct 2015: Nationwide Building Society outsources IT infrastructure [to Capgemini in 5 year deal]

I suggest get the popcorn and give it time as I suspect it's been more luck than judgement...

7. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

We asked if the cost-cutting in 2016 with 640 IT and back office staff stuffed into the redundancy meat grinder had impacted the bank's ability to recover from IT screwups. We are awaiting a response.

Of course there will be an impact.

8. HarryCoh

Still not working..

Updated at 13:04 Have been trying to log on to Business Banking all morning. Sometimes I can get main online screen but no further. More often can't even get that!

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

halifax not working

But i feel like a union man during a strike. I hate the banks. Why it takes 2 or 3 days to get money from mainland europe to England in 2017 is beyond me. Why people accept you could literally fly the money here quicker is also beyond me.

I am not going to waste my life moaning for their incompetence.... i relish watching them saw through every branch holding them up. Everyone and their dog is chasing the finance market, the banks meanwhile are so arrogant they think they're invincible. Maybe, for now....

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: halifax not working

Why it takes 2 or 3 days to get money from mainland europe to England in 2017 is beyond me.

It takes that kind of time to transfer money between accounts in my Swiss bank*. I miss the inter-bank money transfer speed that I used to have in the UK. I've heard that German banks are even less slower!

* I live in Switzerland, I'm not being "creative" with my taxes.

1. Captain Badmouth
        Happy

"I've heard that German banks are even less slower!"

More coffee please.

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

2 or 3 days for an inter-bank transfer? Bloody hell. We had few seconds in the north-east of Europe. Got quite used to it, too. Then IBAN system kicked in, transfers are now done in 1-2 hours, and people are complaining about it.

You guys sure have some patience.

1. Mark 65

It's not a technology problem of course. Much like cheque clearing, it is merely a desire to hold onto other people's money a little longer for the accrued interest.

2. Xiox

You're lucky - it usually takes 2 to 3 days here for a transfer here in Germany. This is for a country who prefers using bank transfers to using credit and debit cards online. I've experienced that for an internal bank transfer too. It's not only the UK who has terrible banks.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprised? Surely Not!!!

1) Combine Lloyds, TSB, Halifax, Bank of Scotland, Scottish Widows, Cheltenham & Gloucester, Capital Bank (& maybe more) into a single mahoosive 'banking group'.

2) Outsource IT & make hundreds of highly skilled locals redundant, thus reducing the wage bill & pension liabilities.

3) Change outsourcer.

Shareholders v customers & staff = only one winner.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: Surprised? Surely Not!!!

"Executives v Shareholders v customers & staff = only one winner."

Fixed that for ya...

12. N2

I love Lloyds Bank online - not

Dont you just love those SQL server fuck ups disguised as "we're sorry for the inconveience, but we've had to log you off" No Sir! just click the back button & youre right where you left off.

The password, now even some fairly ordinary services require a !@£$%^&*() because even I know that ups the password strength, but no you cant use them either.

Then theres the drop downs to enter the words from your phrase, which is only 7 characters long so theres limited scope there. It should only work using a mouse pointer, but nay you can just press the relevant keys for the friendly keylogger to send back to your friendly hacker.

The theres the telephone thing when you set up a recipient for a payment, which has a rather serious flaw and should also be obvious to Lloyds.

BTW it works better if you resolve marketing.lloydsbank.co.uk to 127.0.0.1 fucks off crap you dont want that gets shoved in your face.

I could go on

1. paulf
      FAIL

Re: I love Lloyds Bank online - not

@N2 "Dont you just love those SQL server fuck ups disguised as "we're sorry for the inconveience, but we've had to log you off" No Sir! just click the back button & youre right where you left off."

So that's the cause of those? I use a Bookmark to go direct to the login page and was often perplexed to find it had told me it had logged me out before I'd even logged in FFS.

13. NRG IT Ltd

Possible Fix!

OK ... The problem we were having seems to be related to certain DNS Servers working with Lloyds. We usually use googles DNS Servers (8.8.8.8 AND 8.8.4.4). Using these I currently get an error. If I change the Primary and Secondary DNS to the OpenDNS Servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) I can get into the banking successfully. ... Hope this helps someone out there! :)

1. john west

Re: Possible Fix!

Please have seen this possible solution which does not work.

DNS server open and can someone explain in simple English how and what one is supposed to do.

Absolutely ridiculous

14. Simon Booth

Halifax still screwed

Their DNS has no SOA

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=www.halifax-online.co.uk

This explains why things are so bad

They've fixed Lloyds (tried a bit ago) but Halifax is still down

1. john west

Llolds have definately not fixed it

15. rtingey

Day 3 and still no joy logging on. Getting fed up with going through security on the phone every day and getting told either squit (we've fixed it and its your problem) or 15 minutes later after clearing cookies, etc from browser being told we've still got an intermittent problem. Totally unacceptable - am going to switch banks if this continues.

16. john west

Can not lloyds post asimple explanation and all this changing and deleting stuff does not work and everyone making it more complicated.

It is getting so very technical and we do not understand.

Now 4th day and am in Thailand and nearly midday our time and still nothing.

I am not technically minded , but feel clearing cookies and browesers makes it even worse and have trie this and still not working.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like