back to article NSW bus Wi-Fi privacy, regulation: 'Move along, nothing to see here'

On Monday, we noted the privacy nightmare that is the NSW State Government's latest attempt at public transport Wi-Fi, and asked APN Outdoor, owner of Catch, questions about security and its regulatory status. Our questions have travelled around a bit, to finally get a response from the State Transit Authority. Its stance? …

1. Mark 65

Surprise Surprise

A State body that considers the law doesn't apply to it, how rare in Australia these days?

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Happy

Bravo

Top job with the image selection

3. Oengus

The name of the operator says it all...

Just based on the name "Catch" you know that there will be a "catch" in using the services...

1. Magani
      Happy

Re: The name of the operator says it all...

Presumably there will be 22 bullet points in the fine print?

1. Barrie Shepherd

Re: The name of the operator says it all...

More than 22 :-) https://catchoz.com/privacy - among others why they need DOB (age would do for targeted advertising) or Drivers License Number is beyond belief.

4. Lyle Dietz

So they're trying the Uber defence, "these regulations don't apply to us because we're not a carrier."

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Big Brother

With the name: "Catch"

What else could be their business model?

1. Swarthy
      Gimp

Re: With the name: "Catch"

I would have thought that "Pitch" would have been a better name choice. Because they're "pitching", and expect the users to be "catching".

Icon: How they see the users.

6. kiwimuso
    FAIL

Wow! Just wow!

I can't believe NSW wanting to even contemplate a wifi "solution" like this.

Last September I took a vacation in Mooloolaba and then Brisbane.

Mooloolaba, free wifi at any tourist information centre. No "security" checks, just connect and use. Great - especially as I found out the price of data roaming in Oz. $100 in a day and a half!!!!!

Brisbane the same. Free wifi provided by the city, no signing on, just connect and use.

That's the problem with outsourcing your services to wankers.

C'mon NSW, wake yer bloody ideas up!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like