back to article Prison librarian swaps books for bars after dark-web gun buy caper

A prison librarian in England was today sentenced to more than seven years in prison for trying to buy a handgun and bullets online and for drug offences. Dwain Osborne, of Avenue Road, Penge, in London, was nabbed in October of 2015 after he sought to procure a Glock 19 – a staple of police and security forces worldwide – and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Post-truth or PR ?

It would be more accurate to write this as

"drug dealing (fact) prison librarian (fact) fails to buy gun and ammo on dark web. (fact)"

that he didn't get near a gun (apart from the officers that arrested him) and that the NCA had already got the monitoring/ sting operation in place to stop him, is probably not going to be mentioned when they apply for more funds to deal with the dark web threat™.

The politicos should be flagging the fact that this guy was running drugs into a prison uncaught.

1. frank ly

Re: Post-truth or PR ?

"... the fact that this guy was running drugs into a prison uncaught."

That is an assumption of yours, not a fact, as far as I can tell from the article.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Andy Tickner from the UK Organised Crime Partnership said...

The Organised Crime Partnership sounds like some sort of Anglicized version of the Mafia. Did they stay up all night thinking up that name?

1. frank ly

Re: Andy Tickner from the UK Organised Crime Partnership said...

Their motto: "We're a Family"

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Has the Serious Crime Squad

changed it's name to the Silly Crime Squad yet?

Many years ago when I used to watch the German detective show Derrick I was always amused whenever the title character identified himself as working for the "Kriminalpolize".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given this happened in the UK...

Shouldn't it be 'drug offences' rather than 'drug offenses'.

I'd use the corrections link if it wasn't a mailto.

1. 404

Re: Given this happened in the UK...

Register's number is listed - why not give them a call?

I'm sure some one would be glad to help you.

;)

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

if it wasn't a mailto.

"I'd use the corrections link if it wasn't a mailto."

Just out of curiosity , whats your issue with that?

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Joke

Well....

...he's a shoo-in for a job in the prison library.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well....

Well judging by prison movies like Shawshank Redemption (which I'm sure are totally accurate!) that's a pretty cushy job that would be high on any inmate's list. Whether they go by seniority or by who is doing favors for the warden, he's probably going to be washing dishes or doing laundry.

5. Colonel Mad

Pled has always been considered incorrect by people who make such judgments.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have it your own way, then: Plod.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Organised Crime Partnership = OCP

OCP = Robocop

They're actually admitting to quite a bit by taking that name. Or, someone has a really lame sense of humor.

7. emmanuel goldstein

So Not Impressed

Because it's trivial for the NCA to bust would-be BUYERS of darknet weapons. All they have to do is open a vendor account, sit back and wait for Walter Mitty to bite.

Surely more interesting (and worthy?) targets (no pun intended) for Plod are the darknet firearm SELLERS.

My suspicion is they can't touch them.

8. Jedit Silver badge
    Facepalm

El Reg miss a trick again

Why was the headline not "Osborne jailed for possession of cocaine after trying to buy gun"? Our former chancellor's fondness for Bolivian bingo dust being well known, it seems like the perfect opportunity.

Come on, guys, the clickbait standard has slipping terribly round here of late.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

People looking to obtain illicit goods and services under the supposed anonymity of the dark web continue to discover that they can be traced and identified.

Translation:

We set up a fake account and he gave us his postal address.

1. badger31

Re: Hmmm

Yep. I recently read this article on the BBC regarding dark net drug dealings and the postal service:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38223838/is-your-postman-delivering-drugs

Summary: Buy/sell your drugs on the dark net. It's pretty damn safe.

Good work, BBC. I'm not sure that's what you had in mind when you published that article, but that's what it boils down to. They pretty much tell you how to do it. I'm surprised there weren't any links.

10. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Avenue Road?

Thats gotta cause some delivery problems!

sounds like the address of a childrens tv character!

1. Ed_UK

"Avenue Road?

Thats gotta cause some delivery problems!"

Nah - never had a problem with Street Lane in Leeds.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like