back to article Fitbit throws fit, emits writ for outfit's non-hit, rather sh*t, 'Fitbit' kit

Fitbit has sued a company it accuses of deliberately selling shoddy units. In a complaint [PDF] filed to the Northern California District Court, the San Francisco-based wearables giant claims Laguna 2 (L2), a reseller in New Jersey, repackaged and sold Fitbit equipment it knew was defective. According to Fitbit's complaint, …

1. davidddd

That's hilarious

Given I tried to take my (brand new) fitbit back after the strap broke and was told that fitbit no longer consider the strap as a warrantable item as the volume of issues they had precluded it as an option.

So "high quality"? Meh.

I'll never buy a fitbit again, that's for sure.

1. Tom Womack

Re: That's hilarious

Complain publicly to @fitbit on Twitter, with photos, and they'll likely send you a new one for free.

I'm on my third.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Yeah, that still doesn't sound a like a solution for anyone - consumer or FitBit.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"I'm on my third."

If it were mine it'd have been flung on eBay after the second strap. I admire your patience.

2. horse of a different color
      Happy

I can't fault them, to be honest. The strap on my Fitbit Charge came loose after 11 months and they replaced the watch without any fuss (I was expecting them to refuse, so I was pleasantly surprised). The Charge 2 has proper metal clips, so hopefully it's a lot more robust.

2. DoctorNine

- insert punchline here -

After they killed off Pebble for no good reason, they kinda proved that EVERYTHING Fitbit is defective, whether INTENTIONALLY headed to the recycling bin, or merely taking a longer ride to get there around someone's wrist first.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: - insert punchline here -

I don't think they killed Pebble. I think they stood by and watched Pebble drown, then robbed the corpse.

But anyway, "Fitbit has sued a company it accuses of deliberately selling shoddy units"

Only Fitbit is allowed to do that.

3. Oh Homer
    FAIL

You mean...

There's such a thing as Fatbit(sic) gear that isn't defective?

1. Arachnoid

Re: You mean...

An Un-Fit Bit

4. IsJustabloke
    Meh

I have no torch for Fitbit..

because their BT implementation is as flakey as a box breakfast cereal BUT I've found their customer service is responsive and actually quite good (although they couldn't fix the syncing issue with my blaze) when my charging cradle failed they sent a new one straight away, no ifs no buts.

5. cuddlyjumper
    Coat

Optional

Sounds like this case, unlike Fitbit products, could run for some time. (IGMC)

6. druck Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Love the subhead

See --->

7. bpfh
    WTF?

Hundreds of thousands...

That is a lot of defective gear that somehow went walkabout with no-one noticing...

8. Thicko

I bet Fitbit have a staggering returns rate. My Fitbit Charge HR lasted about 7 months. The thin plastic case (not in my case not the strap!) is just not man enough to survive everyday use on the average man. The battery life of 5-6 days is irritatingly short too. I binned it, lesson learned!

9. Nimby
    Devil

My BitBlt isn't just a copy, it's totally the real thing!

"According to Fitbit's complaint, L2 obtained shipments of faulty Fitbit products destined for scrap and, rather than break down the products, packaged and resold them as refurbished gear."

As opposed to other companies *cough* Dell *cough* that do this completely internally.

Is it better or worse that the Refitbits were resold trash instead of cheap counterfeit BitBlts?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like