back to article Yep. Bitcasa's called it quits

Cloud file storage startup Bitcasa - a firm cynics might say had an apparent death wish - has called it a day. An odd posting on its website by CEO Brian "Tap" Taptich reads: Bitcasa is no more, and this is not bad news. Thanks to the very hard work, generosity and persistence of a number of folks – from employees to …

1. Bob Vistakin
    Mushroom

Perhaps

They got Outsourceried?

2. DNTP

There's a lesson in this:

Never offer anything in "infinity" or "unlimited" amounts in a contract, unless it's for a buffet.

It always indicates either extreme ignorance of what people do with their computers given the opportunity, or if its an ISP then it's a weasel word for "we have a data cap and don't want to tell you."

1. Charles 9

Re: There's a lesson in this:

So how does the ISP get out of trouble if taken to court for false advertising?

3. Gordan

$999/year!

It seems to me that their key problem was that their prices started to look ridiculous compared to the alternatives. Amazon Cloud Drive is £55/year for all you can eat storage, Backblaze and Crashplan offer unlimited backups for a similar amount, and Hubic offer 10TB for a similar amount. So their pricing seems to have been on the order of 10x higher than the alternatives.

So at a glance it looks like their key problem was that they failed to figure out how to do large scale cloud storage on the cheap to keep up with their competition.

4. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Facepalm

Spot the irony . . .

"As EMC President Chad Sakac memorably said: you don't punch your customers in the face."

No, instead you knee them in the groin then steal their wallet while they're doubled over.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's also unlimited data storage in the world's oceans

It's just that the data recovery rate is a bit "lossy."

So, do I have an Unlimited Data Plan, or what? Somebody fund me millions of US$$$ and let me put an Ethernet cable into the sea, call it a day, and walk away with the remainder of the dosh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There's also unlimited data storage in the world's oceans

> It's just that the data recovery rate is a bit "lossy."

See Dilbert: http://assets.amuniversal.com/3a4d1f10bf280130e7cd001dd8b71c47

6. EdFX

Egnyte ?

.. When the hell did they become a top 3 cloud storage provider mentioned alongside Dropbox and Box? Never even heard of them...

7. Queasy Rider

$39.99 @ Best Buy

WD - My Passport 1TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive. Buy 2, one for backup. Replace every 10 months. Why pay $99/year. Are they nuts?

8. bkosh

Now, literally out of thin air, they claim to be in the very hotly contested security market for "user and entity behavior analytics" with Thin Air "deployed at some of the world’s largest organizations and government agencies." It takes years to build a use behavior analytics product. But they'll probably get gobs of venture money. You can't make this stuff up. https://www.thinair.com

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like