back to article Hacker: Lol, I pwned FBI.gov! Web devs: Nuh-uh, no you didn't

A hacker is claiming to have breached the FBI's website security, dumping staffers' email addresses and SHA1-scrambled password hashes with salts online. Meanwhile, the makers of the site's publishing software say it's all a hoax. A miscreant using the handle @cyberzeist claims to have infiltrated Plone CMS used by FBI.gov, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trump, in 5,4,3,2,1....

Crooked Hillary!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't have any actual evidence or proof and due to the nature of hacking there really is no way I could determine the hackers actual location if he/she was clever enough to hide their tracks but it was the Russians supported by North Korea, funded by Iran and helped by the Chinese. IS will just take the credit via twitter. Apologies to any country/group I've missed from my assumptions based on absolutely nothing.

3. Androgynous Cow Herd

If the FBI denies it

Do you believe them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If the FBI denies it

This is one of these relations of the "pathological liars admitting to lying" logic contradictions isn't it?

Least it isn't a flat lie like those pages that say "this page is intentionally left blank" … No it bloody isn't!

4. Aodhhan

Waiting on...

The FBI hasn't commented yet because they are waiting for the approved talking points (lies/untruth) from the White House on what to say. Along with some ridiculous back story to put the blame somewhere else without taking any responsibility for the vulnerability.

...that is, unless they convince the majority of the media to not cover this story, or bury it way back on page 21. They wouldn't want the POTUS to look bad...errr... worse than he already does, with 2 weeks left to go in office.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Waiting on...

"They wouldn't want the POTUS to look bad"

I'm pretty sure that even in the USA, most people probably realise that the President is unlikely to be adminning the FBI website or have much input on the CMS they use.

1. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

Re: Waiting on...

You're kidding right?

Something like 34% of Trump voters think Obama was /personally responsible/ for hurricane Katrina!

5. JCitizen
    Mushroom

The Russians done it!!

The Russians done it I tells ya! The Russians done it!! Just ask Clapper!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like