back to article Turns out there's a market for marijuana... plants' video surveillance

Pot plant surveillance cameras in a Colorado marijuana farm feeding Quantum’s StorNext multi-tiered and scale-out, file virtualisation and data services software with video footage show the substantial market changes to which Quantum is having to adapt. CEO Jon Gacek told a visiting press crew in December: “I feel like the …

1. Tom Paine

10/10 for effort....

...but minus several million for it still being a storage story.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: 10/10 for effort....

Aye, it didn't spend long describing the needs of the new breed of marijuana farm that has sprung up since its legalisation in several states.

Their stock control software could make an interesting article; the licences given to weed producers require that every gram has to be accounted for (for tax and other reasons). However, weed will lose mass (through evaporation) during the curing process, so the stock control software has to be able to account for this.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Re: 10/10 for effort....

It is the same as for tobacco / alcohol producers surely?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Enough with the sales pitch already

Where's the link to the camera feeds?

I'd like to watch the weed grow.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An advert...

...is what it seemed like on to me.

1. joed

Re: An advert...

not just an advert. Weed promotion under false pretenses of selling software/storage solution. Bad Reg

2. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: An advert...

Not just an advert. A disjointed advert written by somebody who just can't write (good copy).

At times it reads like one of amanfrommar's posts.

4. Scott Broukell

Well, I most certainly hope that all their login credentials are suitably . . . hashed.

<groans - gets coat>

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

So Quantum are the only tape storage company making a profit?

Cause that sounds like quite an impressive achievement.

As for archive tapes being more valuable than new I'll be the NSA and GCHQ can confirm the truth of that.

People think "the cloud" will end tape but that's marketing BS. Actual big cloud operators know that disks (spinning rust and flash) will fill their data centres and still people will want more, but accept some access delays.

Just like mainframe operators discovered about 4 decades ago.

And just like them Quantum have discovered people don't want to think about what level the data is at, they just want it.

Frankly I'm amazed all storage operators don't do this.

The fact so many of them are in financial trouble suggests most don't.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have read the first paragraph of this piece about 6 times and still cannot comprehend.. ah well its Xmas anyway

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unreadable

I have read the first paragraph of this piece about 6 times and still cannot comprehend

Same here, most of this is unreadable, was this a joke?

7. Paul Johnston

Bill Maher

Suggest you see Real Time for a cogent comment on this.

8. MasterofDisaster

Buzz killer

The broad issue in selling storage for video surveillance is the incredibly long sales cycle; a lot of deals take 12 -18 months to close and there is a race to the bottom with pricing. Few storage vendors (or their salespeople) have the stomach for that.

On the other hand, what I thought this article was going to go into is how Colorado and other places have codified seed-to-sale video surveillance and multiple months of needing to retain that data. The combination of specific regulations, long retention periods, real audits and compliance checking represent an opportunity not just for storage, but for service assurance, IoT, and other physical security technologies. Video surveillance is often run in very shoddy ways (many reports of less than 70% uptime), so legal weed might be one of the few places where real IT skills and technology are wanted in physical security.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Potential liability risk?

Could Quantum be risking Federal liability, or even massive asset forfeiture to the profit of the Trump administration, by advertising their products for something that while claimed to be legal by the states, is still a Federal felony to produce?

Or is this story just the product of creative journalism?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon