back to article Groupon frauds blamed on third-party password breaches

Groupon has blamed fraudulent purchases from some UK customers' accounts on password leaks from other sites. UK consumer website MoneySavingExpert reports that “a number of Groupon users have seen £100s siphoned from their banks in recent weeks after fraudsters commandeered their accounts to make unauthorised purchases.” The …

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

This reminds me...

of all those american cases where massive sums are paid out, but there is no admission of guilt; so bloody annoying that others are blamed, damn pr shitheads.

When I was younger and got fucked I'd brag about it (most times anyway, I made some dreadful mistakes.)

2. Lotaresco

Here we go again...

"What we are seeing however is a very small number of customers who have had their account taken over by fraudsters. Nothing out of the ordinary for an e-commerce site. "

So Groupon don't give a damn and think account hijacking is "normal", ie they don't plan to do anything about it, although it is easy to protect user accounts and particularly to stop third parties getting their hands on user financial data. I suppose given recent publicity about how Groupon's "offers" are less than stellar or that they don't check what is offered for sale through their site its not a complete surprise to find out they have the attitude of "We've got your data and we don't give a damn."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It would be refreshing to see a business do something positive in these situations such as implementing 2-factor authentication rather than just blaming their users for being unable to remember dozens of unique passwords for their accounts on different websites or being unaware of the availability of password management software. That's before we get to the issue of them seemingly storing their users' payment details which allowed somebody else to make transactions without any security codes being needed for confirmation...

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

passwords or no passwords

"Groupon’s customer service has been criticised as taking up to 10 days to respond to subsequent complaints of fraud."

This is grounds for being keelhauled - and not cleaning off the barnacles first.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Groupon? Are they still going?

My wife and I had a couple of Groupon vouchers given to us a wedding presents. However, the conditions for redeeming them were so restrictive - 'you will be at this location, on this date, at this time, and will do exactly what we tell you to do whilst you are there etc.' - they were completely useless to us.

When received as a gift I now consider Groupon vouchers a deliberate studied insult, and question the friendship of the person who actually gives them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like