back to article National Lottery whacked with £3m fine for suspect ticket win

The National Lottery has been whacked with a £3m fine by the Gambling Commission over its failure to have proper controls in place to prevent a fraudulent ticket winning. It followed a probe by the regulator into allegations that a £2.5m fraudulent National Lottery prize had been paid in 2009, but which only came to light last …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

I often suspect my ticket should win. Can I get £3 million from Camelot from breaching my dreams?

2. John H Woods Silver badge

"no evidence of similar events happening" --- well, not of paying out when they should. But they did have to withdraw their app for a while because it had been telling people "no win" on winning tickets.

3. Joe Harrison

They miss-sold their product to me

I bought a Lucky Dip but it wasn't lucky at all

1. Blotto Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: They miss-sold their product to me

don't forget to claim for losses of self esteem and hurt feelings.

2. Velv

How do you know it wasn't lucky?

Perhaps if you hadn't taken the time to buy it you'd have been knocked down by a bus.

Not all "luck" is measured through money...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes it was. There's more than one type of luck.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I sense a Philip K. Dick story.

Sadly Dick is Dead, otherwise would be looking forward to "Lucky Dip Lottery" or some such

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had similar problems once. I bought a scratch card but was unaware of the requirement to have a coin to scratch the silver off.

Annoyingly I only had a tenner on me so I had to waste it buying 10 pound coins from the disinterested chav at the counter.

I only won a pound so I made a net loss of a tenner. Thanks a lot for nothing Camelot.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would it matter if a fraudulent prize was paid, the good causes should still have got their share even if someone got hold of a ticket they shouldn't have. Unless it was an inside job?

1. Hollerithevo

I suspect it was an inside job

Fried of mine work there and suggested they caught the culprit and said culprit was booted out, done partly in the hope of hiding this. Maybe piffle, maybe true.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. andy 28

more info needed

What did the 'winning' person do to get their money? Yeah, we're told it's fixed and can't happen again. But that's what Talk Talk, Yahoo and all the rest said too.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Audience Participation?

Wasn't there a big win once by someone that was sitting in the audience of the BBC Saturday Lottery Draw Programme/Dale Winton era, during the first few years of the Lottery. I vaguely remember this. Always thought that was far too coincidental.

7. Frank Bitterlich
    Meh

More details please...

The BBC article says that it was a payout on a "deliberately damaged" ticket. Still too thin on the details.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38337470

8. Richard 120

What about the fraudster?

Surely to have paid out on a fraudulent ticket there had to be a fraudulent claim?

Has the claimant been prosecuted?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: What about the fraudster?

"Has the claimant been prosecuted?"

And if not why not? Probable answer, not sufficient evidence for a criminal prosecution. But if that's the case why do the Gambling Commission think they've sufficient evidence to issue a fine?

2. katrinab Silver badge

Re: What about the fraudster?

They were arrested and released without charge, so presumably either insufficient evidence to convict, they got the wrong person, or they didn't think a fraud took place.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have ...

3 million reasons not to play the lottery ever again

10. Red Bren
    WTF?

Gambling company fined for paying out too much?

Pour encourager les autres?

11. Richard Lloyd

7 years?

What no-one out there has commented on is why it took 7 years for this dodgy payout to be publicly revealed, never mind how the allegedly "winning" ticket was damaged. Considering lottery tickets have a security code on them, you do suspect some inside involvement (i.e. either the "winner" had access to the security code algorithm or they paid someone off to falsely validate the ticket).

1. Mark 85

Re: 7 years?

Good question. Perhaps the system still isn't as secure as they say it is... PR types and "taking security seriously". And yes.. why did it take 7 years? Aren't there audits for this?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 7 years?

What you seem to be saying is the small team of National Lottery validators work in cahoots. Maybe it starts with an unclaimed Prize. They know the winning terminal location.

Pony up a trusted person (known to one of the team) they know that lives in the area, maybe has used that particular National Lottery Terminal. Insider knowledge of the process, fit a person to the ticket's profile purchasing history.

When you start to look at this, even revealing where a winning ticket was bought should remain hidden from everyone, including the validators. There seems like there could be much more fraud here taking place here, than has been publicised. That's pretty much a given, though, like Visa/Mastercard a certain percentage of fraud is unavoidable/not cost effective to pursue.

Maybe now tickets for lower amount 'below the radar' should be looked at, where there wasn't a fully validated ticket given as proof.

12. Nifty Silver badge

Blockchain?

Should blockchain be used to prevent data tampering?

13. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

More detail from The Sun - insider was in fraud department

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2419247/convicted-rapist-suspected-of-fiddling-2-5million-lotto-jackpot-with-help-from-insider/

14. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

National Lottery whacked with fine

That was almost informative. Here's how they might have done it. Someone with access to the database gets the number of an unclaimed ticket. They then print up a forgery and an accomplice presents it at the office. Then they register the ticket on the computer as being valid despite the bar code being wrong.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

this is a regulatory scandal

The gambling industry is permitted under law on the basis that it is specifically regulated.

WTF was the regulator doing? It relied on a tip-off... and all the evidence is lost.

This is simply inadequate not regulatory oversight. It is however, consistent with the Gambling Commission position of "light touch", "not interfere with business"....

is the regulator an only and enabler? does the regulator utilise best-practice expertise (apparently not) or does the regulator consider it is best practice (it clearly is not)?

The real issue here is, ""WHAT'S GOING ON WITH GAMBLING REGULATION IN GREAT BRITAIN?"

For goodness sakes, these gambling companies are given a licence to print money, off the back of those who can least afford it, and the regulatory oversight here is not even questioned!

16. PapaD

In fairness

The Gambling Commission wasn't regulating the Lottery at the time, It only took over a couple of years ago.

Prior to that, and in 2009, it was the National Lottery Commission

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like